BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
Thanks,, I'm trying to figure out if it is compatible
with the 21/22 vintages.

The charger is supplied with 3 different connectors and my 2022 owners manual suggests using the upper fairing plug in receptible for charging the battery.
I suspect that it will be quite fine!

No, not suggest (even if it's written that way, but you MUST use the upper (front) aux port for the charging! I use a 3rd party brand that is no longer made, on all of my RTs, and had been plugging it in the rear aux port, which was fine until my present '21RT! Plugged it into the rear port as always, and it didn't work! No charging. Turns out that for our generation of RT, BMW have changed things around so that only the front port is usable for charging!

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
I tend to agree with keith1200r on this one - I think the charger is intended for pre-CANbus models and therefore won’t charge a 21/22 RT through the DIN socket. Direct to the battery is the only way.

The same charger/part number is listed here with the CANbus warning MAX BMW Motorcycles - BMW Advanced Battery Charging System
OTOH, I have been using 3rd party charger without any "compatibility" claims, using the aux port, quite successfully since my '07 RT!!! How would you explain that one? Electronically speaking, there are no reasons why any "intelligent" charger shouldn't work.

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
I‘ve got no idea how the electronics are different for charging on a CANbus system - but always led to believe that they were. You need a charger capable of keeping the CANbus open and therefore live to the battery. All witchcraft to me.

But it clearly states its not compatible with CANbus models - which was the OPs question.
You might be right, but for the price, I would definitely try it, and if that didn't work, then direct wiring will definitely work!

BTW, you DO realize that the term CANbus doesn't refer to the physical circuitry, don't you? Two different systems, both using CANbus can behave quite differently. CAN = Communication Area Network, which is the protocol that the "smart" components within the network communicates with one another. If the charger is sufficiently "intelligent", it really doesn't need to communicate, and that's why I think that it should work.

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
It doesn’t state either way in the advert above which is why I was slightly suspicious - they usually over advertise if its CANbus compatible. So looked the part number up - there is a link to what I believe is the same model of charger in my earlier post, with the warning regarding CANbus compatibility.
You should note that BMW's manual typically tell you to avoid using non-BMW chargers, supposedly because they can damage the electronics! How many of us had beleived that one???

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
Not through the DIN socket (no CANbus) but direct to the battery should be fine.
I tend to agree with keith1200r on this one - I think the charger is intended for pre-CANbus models and therefore won’t charge a 21/22 RT through the DIN socket. Direct to the battery is the only way.

The same charger/part number is listed here with the CANbus warning MAX BMW Motorcycles - BMW Advanced Battery Charging System
BTW, I do apologize if I came on a little strong! Not my intention nor desire. . . . .

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
Seems you just require access to the nut behind the plastic holding the DIN plug securely on?

Would one just be disconnecting the factory wiring at this point ( was wondering where this wiring went) and installing wiring direct to the battery?

Wonder (thinking for my uses) if it would be easier to just buy a SAE plug with sufficient lead length and secure it to an easily accessible location after wiring direct to the battery. Then one could still plug in a non-Canbus charger vs an entire rewire (modifying the stock wiring harness) of the rear DIN plug?

This is the method I utilized on my Husqvarna FE501. I then can use the SAE connector plug for battery charging, an electric pump, an auxiliary SAE/USB converter for charging a cell phone, rechargeable light devices and a Garmin In-reach mini. Just need that SAE plug location where it is convenient to charge while riding and not loose the device you are attempting to charge. Maybe tank bag location..
Check and see if that pigtail is long enough to reach the lower edge of the fairing. Even though my charger works fine in the front aux port, I had installed an SAE pigtail to the battery anyway, in order to use the Slime air pump that I used to carry with me. That thing drew something like 18 amps! I don't recall how long my pig tail was, but it does reach the bottom edge of the fairing, which makes it quite accessible, and that's where I also plug in my charger.

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
There had been a lot of discussions over the years on chargers, CANbus compatible or otherwise. You can find tons of data if you take the time to do a search! I find this post to be quite interesting:

I've been using the BMW Advanced Battery Charger since 2002. Used in the '02 R1150RS and am now using it on my '06 R1200RT. It's not the expensive charger, but it's worked like a charm for 8 years. I plug into the bike's socket then plug into a wall outlet. When the green light is steady I unplug from the wall and then the bike. I've never touched the ignition switch during this procedure. Should I be "Whistlin' past the graveyard?"
You will find the post here: Battery Charger

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
That's my point. We spend a lot of money to ride BMW's. I fail to understand why some aren't willing to spend a little more money to protect that investment. Especially so when "making it work" takes so much effort [IMO]. Buy a proper CANbus charger and Bob's yer uncle.

BTW, the price shown at the link is NOT what I paid for either of mine. They can be - or at least used to be - easy to find for less.
I guess that I am the lucky one!! ;) Don't believed in following the crowd, and had gotten a non-CANbus (well, they don't claim it anyway) charger for measly $35 back when I got the '07 RT, and the thing had been quite fine, working through the aux port from then to now! Zero efforts. Didn't have to do anything special. I am still using the same charger right now.

Reactions: Fast1

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
The following is for general interests only. It's not going to help the OP in anyway, but it should show that a non-CANbus compatible charger can work, which is what I have been saying. CANbus itself has very little to no influence as to whether the charger will work or not. It's all depend on how the onboard computer is programmed. To be clear, I am talking about via the aux socket here, and not about direct-connect.

This is the charger that I have been using since owning my old '07 RT:

Font Rectangle Magenta Measuring instrument Electronics accessory

Info from the spec can be seen on a very much outdated site: Battery Doc Sport Charger and Maintainer | ChargingChargers.com

DON'T go looking for it. It was manufactured by a small company that was bought out by a much larger company, Wirthco, quite a few years ago!

I often look at Webbike world site for reviews, and they did a review of this very charger back in 2005, and I wouldn't call it a good review. Note though, that BMW only started implementing CANbus on their bikes since 2005, and this charger was being sold long before that! Here's the Webbikeworld review:

To be clear, I am not saying that the charger that Fast1 is looking at WILL work in the aux socket, but rational tells me that it might. That rational is also reinforced by the old post that I had quoted earlier.

I am now anxious to hear from Fast1 to see if that charger will work, or not!!! ;)

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
I said right at the beginning that I have no idea how CANBus works but I thought I understood the principe behind it. What you are telling me now Pad seems to go against everything that anyone has ever explained about the system and I’m trying to get my head around what makes a charger CANBus compatible. Why have we all been led down the path that we need a CANBus compatible charger in order to charge through the DIN socket ?

When I read the specifications of your charger on the link you provided - it does state that the lighter socket must be ‘hot’ when the key is out of the ignition. To me, this means either the lighter socket (or DIN socket) is direct wired to the battery or the CANBus is live to effectively ‘switch on’ the socket. We know on the 21/22 RT that the DIN socket remains live for a period of time (up to 15 minutes according to the manual if sufficient current is being drawn) after the ignition is turned off. Therefore, I assume during this time, your charger will charge the battery as the socket is still ‘live’.

What happens after that period of up to 15 minutes ? Does the charger disconnect when the bike shuts down the socket or does your charger keep the socket ‘live’ ? If you plug your charger into the socket after the 15 minutes (when the bike has already switched the socket off), will your charger activate the CANBus to turn the socket back ‘live’ again and therefore start charging ? Is this what makes a charger CANBus compatible - that it can talk to the CANBus to open and keep the socket live ?

Is this not another way of saying CANBus compatible ?
People have been referring to CANbus quite incorrectly over the years, but it had been too trivial for those of us who understand what it is to make constant corrections! If you really get into more nitty gritty of it, here is something that somebody else tried to explain, in this forum, back in 2006: Canbus 101

Simply stated, you can think of CANbus as an acronym of two separate entities. CAN - Controller Area Network, sorry my memory is a little faulty when I refer to the "C" as Communication before, but its function IS for communication, and so you can think of CAN as a "language". The "bus" part refers to an "electrical bus", which can be described as (using somebody else's words):

"A bus in electrical parlance is any common connection to which any number of loads are connected in parallel, all being fed more-or-less the same voltage. There are power busses, audio busses, video busses, and in computing address busses and data busses."

All 12V components and devices on our vehicles are connected in electrical parallel circuit! So, that should help you to understand the post that I had referenced above!

As for the details of what you read (as highlighted), it actually goes to prove what I said about CANbus having nothing to do with how this operate! Keep in mind the date for when that statement was made! The statement is quite correct, as applied to my old '07 RT! The charger had to be connected to the port while the aux port is "alive" (active) or the onboard computer for the old '07 RT would not know that a charger was connected. OTOH, when I moved to the '14/'15 RT, that doesn't apply anymore. I was able to plug the charger in at any time, and the onboard computer would recognize it and keeps the charger "alive". It is also true with my present '21 RT! Note that all 4 RTs have CANbus!! The difference is what BMW did with the programming within these computers. The charger stays alive the whole time that it is connected on the '14/'15 RT, but to be honest I have to say that I don't know for my present '21 RT. I have tried it to see that it works when I discovered that only the front port would allow charging, and then I changed over to use the directly connected pig tail, because it's more convenient for me. I always spin the bike around 180° right after riding it into the garage, and the electrical outlet in my garage are in the rear wall!

In theory, being CANbus compatible, in the case of a charger, means that it has the capability to tell the onboard computer that it is present. However, my experience tells me that the onboard computer also use other means to find out the same information! OTOH, it is quite possible that, even though it is not claimed, my charger is actually CANbus compatible! CANbus protocol is not proprietary to BMW, and I believe that it had been around in use for automotive before BMW finally adopted it for use on our motorcycles. That's why I am most interested to find out from Fast1 if a known non-CANbus compatible charger actually works. I shall never stop learning . . . . .

Reactions: Rich_Blue21RTLE

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
Unrelated to CAN bus - if that charger is not configured for AGM batteries (which it doesn't look like), you are likely shortening the life of the battery in the RT. More recent chargers have an AGM setting which limits the current flow to the battery which preserves the AGM's slow discharge/recharge rate. High charge rate chargers for flooded cell batteries have been known to kill AGM or gel batteries.
All of my batteries have lasted, without any faults, for more than 5 years, and would have lasted longer had I not changed them for new one, preemptively! When you travel long distance frequently, battery is one of the 2 things that I am paranoid about, and insist on it being always in perfect condition!

Reactions: Randyjaco

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
. . . .

I don't think the new bikes are any different in the way the Aux plugs work. My '22 GSA came with a dealer-installed, direct to battery SAE plug that hangs down by right foot peg. It has a little rubber cover. I just unplug the cover and plug in there to charge as the dealer did when I need to. My dealer puts them on any bike that sits in their showroom.

:alien:
RTFM! Perhaps it's different for the GSA?

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
If they were AGM batteries, it's likely your charger is low current. I'm also stickler for keeping batteries in top shape which is why I use a charger that supports AGM batteries (with smart cycles) and recycled my old flooded cell chargers.
Are you telling me that you made the statement like . . . .

Unrelated to CAN bus - if that charger is not configured for AGM batteries (which it doesn't look like), you are likely shortening the life of the battery in the RT. More recent chargers have an AGM setting which limits the current flow to the battery which preserves the AGM's slow discharge/recharge rate. High charge rate chargers for flooded cell batteries have been known to kill AGM or gel batteries.
. . . . . and hadn't bothered to look at the spec of that charger??? :) Technically knowledgeable person would have been drawn to the 1.25A (max) right off the bat, and also noted that it IS rated for Gel!

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
It must be intended for very old bikes then. My 07 RT had a CANbus system...
BMW implemented CANbus starting in 2005, and so the hexheads would have had CANbus right from the very first model year, 2005.

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
FWIW

This is what BMW has provided in the 2022 R1250RT manual with regard to the battery and method of charging

Battery Design AGM
12V
16Ah

View attachment 180948

Charging procedure with the battery connected

View attachment 180949

Charging if unable to utilize the onboard socket (DIN receptacle)

View attachment 180950
The location of the port is specified a lot clearer in your manual than what I had in mine! Here, in your manual, it is very clear that charging can ONLY be done with the front port - that's what they mean by "dashboard". My manual should be exactly the same as yours, I guess that I should DL the latest version! ;)

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
The above was from the paper copy I received with the 2022 in April of this year.

numbered 06.2021, 2nd edition, 07 (this is listed on the lower part of the back cover)

There may be more recent versions.
Thanks! You must be a mind reader. I was going to ask you to look that up, just to make sure that when I DL the manual again, that it is the latest one.

The wordings in the older manual that I have is pretty much the same, with the exception that in the older manual they tells you to use the port that is in the "cockpit", which clearly is the front aux port. The one very important (IMHO) word missing in the older manual is "ONLY"! That would have made things clearer for me, and I wouldn't have even tried to use my charger in the rear port! Hati was the person who had clued me in, later. (Thanks Hati!)

Reactions: Fast1

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts
So if connecting the charger cable to the negative (battery)and positive post (to right of battery like in @rtwiz's post below) do you still need to use Canbus settings on charger (I've an optimate 4 and connected cable to bike this eve) or as it's connected direct to battery is normal mode ok?
I'm after getting conflicting advice (non bmw owners) so want to make I do right thing so not to damage my bike. Sorry if hijacking thread, can post in another thread if not allowed
With direct connection to the battery, that switch doesn't mean a thing. You can have it in either position and it should work quite fine. Ignore our conversation about the rear port not being usable for charging. THAT only applies to the new generation of RTs - 2021 and newer.

Reactions: RTDragon
1 - 18 of 18 Posts