BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used that charger on my 2019 R1250RT since new. The dealer provided it and prewired the battery connection prior to delivery. It works fine and I've had no issues with it.
Thanks,, I'm trying to figure out if it is compatible
with the 21/22 vintages.

The charger is supplied with 3 different connectors and my 2022 owners manual suggests using the upper fairing plug in receptible for charging the battery.

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It doesn’t state either way in the advert above which is why I was slightly suspicious - they usually over advertise if its CANbus compatible. So looked the part number up - there is a link to what I believe is the same model of charger in my earlier post, with the warning regarding CANbus compatibility.
yes I found what you indicated by the exact same part number. Seems the charger would work fine with a direct connection to the battery but thru the DIN socket may be a "no go". Most likely the reason it is on sale.

Font Screenshot Bag Cable Technology

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What I did on my 2022 R1250RT was rewire the rear socket on the left side directly to the battery adding an inline 15 amp fuse on the positive wire. I now can use for my tire pump, the battery charger and a passengers heated gear if riding with someone. If camping a little wire with a 12 V - 10 watt bulb makes for a nice in tent light, setting up the tent at night or a road side stop for some reason is another use.
Clever idea. Where was the original rear DIN socket wired and how much removal or dismantling was required to
re-wire direct to the battery?

FWIW, my 22 RT was fitted with a SAE wired connector direct to the battery prior to purchase for direct charging of the battery and providing the versatility of plugging in other 12v products such as my Garmin XT. However it is only a 12" long SAE connector.

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I'd say that all the tupperware surrounding the seat area has to be removed. To get to the wiring behind Part #6 in this picture,

You may have to remove these panels, and take the panniers off. If you can get away without removing them, that would be the best since you will avoid accidentally breaking the mounting tabs.

Seems you just require access to the nut behind the plastic holding the DIN plug securely on?

Would one just be disconnecting the factory wiring at this point ( was wondering where this wiring went) and installing wiring direct to the battery?

Wonder (thinking for my uses) if it would be easier to just buy a SAE plug with sufficient lead length and secure it to an easily accessible location after wiring direct to the battery. Then one could still plug in a non-Canbus charger vs an entire rewire (modifying the stock wiring harness) of the rear DIN plug?

This is the method I utilized on my Husqvarna FE501. I then can use the SAE connector plug for battery charging, an electric pump, an auxiliary SAE/USB converter for charging a cell phone, rechargeable light devices and a Garmin In-reach mini. Just need that SAE plug location where it is convenient to charge while riding and not loose the device you are attempting to charge. Maybe tank bag location..

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
To be clear, I am not saying that the charger that Fast1 is looking at WILL work in the aux socket, but rational tells me that it might. That rational is also reinforced by the old post that I had quoted earlier.

I am now anxious to hear from Fast1 to see if that charger will work, or not!!! ;)
I think I might buy it for my multiple needs

Thinking it thru a bit and if I wanted to use the upper factory OEM DIN receptible on a 2022 RT I could easily just alter the wiring connection to go direct to the battery bypassing/removing it from OEM CANbus wiring harness (similar to what was suggested earlier in the thread for the rear DIN receptacle. Problem solved and could then use that upper factory DIN for elec pump, heated gear and charging, etc.. many ways one can skin a cat..

I already own a low amp trickle charger I use for my Husqvarna moto, sports car, trolling moto and lawn mower batteries all of which I remove from the vehicle/appliance and bring indoors to a warmer climate for monthly rotational juicing. At 20 to -20f batteries don't do well even when charged frequently. I might just remove the RT battery and place it with the rest for winter juicing..

Many different avenues offering excellent solutions in the thread.. one just needs to pick the one that works for them.

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
With my '05 RT (hex-head with canbus), My '22 GSA came with a dealer-installed, direct to battery SAE plug that hangs down by right foot peg. It has a little rubber cover. I just unplug the cover and plug in there to charge as the dealer did when I need to. My dealer puts them on any bike that sits in their showroom.

:alien:
Same thing my 22 RT came with right from the dealer, who fitted them on all their new BMW inventory.

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 · (Edited)
FWIW

This is what BMW has provided in the 2022 R1250RT manual with regard to the battery and method of charging

Battery Design AGM
12V
16Ah

Font Material property Paper Number Document

Charging procedure with the battery connected

Font Material property Paper Publication Paper product

Charging if unable to utilize the onboard front socket (DIN receptacle)

Font Motor vehicle Handwriting Automotive tire Parallel

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I guess that I should DL the latest version! ;)
The above was from the paper copy I received with the 2022 in April of this year.

numbered 06.2021, 2nd edition, 07 (this is listed on the lower part of the back cover)

There may be more recent versions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts