BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
FWIW.
My '16 RTP has 2 batteries. So, I got a Battery Tender brand charger with dual outputs. Attached a pigtail to each of the batteries. It takes me less than 5 seconds to attach/unhook them before/after a ride. I have a NOCO charger for my car/trucks as well. Both brands have done a superb job IMHO.

·
Registered
408 Posts
how much removal or dismantling was required to re-wire direct to the battery?
I'd say that all the tupperware surrounding the seat area has to be removed. To get to the wiring behind Part #6 in this picture,

You may have to remove these panels, and take the panniers off. If you can get away without removing them, that would be the best since you will avoid accidentally breaking the mounting tabs.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Seems you just require access to the nut behind the plastic holding the DIN plug securely on?
Correct. What I observed on my RT was that there is not enough length of wire behind that plug to pull that socket out easily to disconnect the connector behind it.

Wonder (thinking for my uses) if it would be easier to just buy a SAE plug with sufficient lead length and secure it to an easily accessible location after wiring direct to the battery.
That might be the easiest way without disturbing any of the factory wiring. But, if you plan to use any equipment that pulls more than 5A, I'd be a little careful not to drain the battery accidentally. You can also get something like this mounted on the panel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts