BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT
18 Posts
I've used that charger on my 2019 R1250RT since new. The dealer provided it and prewired the battery connection prior to delivery. It works fine and I've had no issues with it.

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've used that charger on my 2019 R1250RT since new. The dealer provided it and prewired the battery connection prior to delivery. It works fine and I've had no issues with it.
Thanks,, I'm trying to figure out if it is compatible
with the 21/22 vintages.

The charger is supplied with 3 different connectors and my 2022 owners manual suggests using the upper fairing plug in receptible for charging the battery.

·
Registered
2015 R1200RT
409 Posts
Just wire it directly to battery. Then you can use any good quality battery maintainer made for motorcycles

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
Thanks,, I'm trying to figure out if it is compatible
with the 21/22 vintages.

The charger is supplied with 3 different connectors and my 2022 owners manual suggests using the upper fairing plug in receptible for charging the battery.
I suspect that it will be quite fine!

No, not suggest (even if it's written that way, but you MUST use the upper (front) aux port for the charging! I use a 3rd party brand that is no longer made, on all of my RTs, and had been plugging it in the rear aux port, which was fine until my present '21RT! Plugged it into the rear port as always, and it didn't work! No charging. Turns out that for our generation of RT, BMW have changed things around so that only the front port is usable for charging!

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
I tend to agree with keith1200r on this one - I think the charger is intended for pre-CANbus models and therefore won’t charge a 21/22 RT through the DIN socket. Direct to the battery is the only way.

The same charger/part number is listed here with the CANbus warning MAX BMW Motorcycles - BMW Advanced Battery Charging System
OTOH, I have been using 3rd party charger without any "compatibility" claims, using the aux port, quite successfully since my '07 RT!!! How would you explain that one? Electronically speaking, there are no reasons why any "intelligent" charger shouldn't work.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I‘ve got no idea how the electronics are different for charging on a CANbus system - but always led to believe that they were. You need a charger capable of keeping the CANbus open and therefore live to the battery. All witchcraft to me.

But it clearly states its not compatible with CANbus models - which was the OPs question.

·
Registered
286 Posts
It doesn’t state either way in the advert above which is why I was slightly suspicious - they usually over advertise if its CANbus compatible. So looked the part number up - there is a link to what I believe is the same model of charger in my earlier post, with the warning regarding CANbus compatibility.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
I‘ve got no idea how the electronics are different for charging on a CANbus system - but always led to believe that they were. You need a charger capable of keeping the CANbus open and therefore live to the battery. All witchcraft to me.

But it clearly states its not compatible with CANbus models - which was the OPs question.
You might be right, but for the price, I would definitely try it, and if that didn't work, then direct wiring will definitely work!

BTW, you DO realize that the term CANbus doesn't refer to the physical circuitry, don't you? Two different systems, both using CANbus can behave quite differently. CAN = Communication Area Network, which is the protocol that the "smart" components within the network communicates with one another. If the charger is sufficiently "intelligent", it really doesn't need to communicate, and that's why I think that it should work.

·
Premium Member
6,516 Posts
It doesn’t state either way in the advert above which is why I was slightly suspicious - they usually over advertise if its CANbus compatible. So looked the part number up - there is a link to what I believe is the same model of charger in my earlier post, with the warning regarding CANbus compatibility.
You should note that BMW's manual typically tell you to avoid using non-BMW chargers, supposedly because they can damage the electronics! How many of us had beleived that one???

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yes I found what you indicated by the exact same part number. Seems the charger would work fine with a direct connection to the battery but thru the DIN socket may be a "no go". Most likely the reason it is on sale.

Font Screenshot Bag Cable Technology

·
Registered
286 Posts
You should note that BMW's manual typically tell you to avoid using non-BMW chargers, supposedly because they can damage the electronics!
Every company promotes their own products - not just good sales tactics but it’s the only way they can guarantee it will work. The point of all this is that in order to charge via the front DIN socket on a 21/22 RT requires a CANBus compatible charger. Like many others, I use an Optimate 4 CanBus edition without any issues at all.

Reactions: PadG

·
Registered
408 Posts
FWIW.
My '16 RTP has 2 batteries. So, I got a Battery Tender brand charger with dual outputs. Attached a pigtail to each of the batteries. It takes me less than 5 seconds to attach/unhook them before/after a ride. I have a NOCO charger for my car/trucks as well. Both brands have done a superb job IMHO.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
What I did on my 2022 R1250RT was rewire the rear socket on the left side directly to the battery adding an inline 15 amp fuse on the positive wire. I now can use for my tire pump, the battery charger and a passengers heated gear if riding with someone. If camping a little wire with a 12 V - 10 watt bulb makes for a nice in tent light, setting up the tent at night or a road side stop for some reason is another use.

·
Registered
2022 R1250 RT
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What I did on my 2022 R1250RT was rewire the rear socket on the left side directly to the battery adding an inline 15 amp fuse on the positive wire. I now can use for my tire pump, the battery charger and a passengers heated gear if riding with someone. If camping a little wire with a 12 V - 10 watt bulb makes for a nice in tent light, setting up the tent at night or a road side stop for some reason is another use.
Clever idea. Where was the original rear DIN socket wired and how much removal or dismantling was required to
re-wire direct to the battery?

FWIW, my 22 RT was fitted with a SAE wired connector direct to the battery prior to purchase for direct charging of the battery and providing the versatility of plugging in other 12v products such as my Garmin XT. However it is only a 12" long SAE connector.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts