BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a battery charger for my r1200rt winter storage.
Any recommendations?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've been using a Battery Tender Plus via pig tail for about a year. It works great. This summer it's been too hot, and I've been busy so big gaps in riding. Bike turns over immediately every time.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
If you have a can-bus RT you need to get a can-bus compatible charger if you want to plug it into the powerport.
If you decide not to get one then any trickle charger will do if you remove the seat and go straight to the battery. The newer AGM batteries are more critical on voltages. They do not like voltages higher than 14.5 volts. So get one that allows you to select AGM mode if you have an AGM battery. Battery Tender is your most common choice.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The battery tender plus looks like a popular choice. Can it be connected directly into the can-bus socket or does the seat need to be removed and connect it directly to the battery?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Dann323 said:
The battery tender plus looks like a popular choice. Can it be connected directly into the can-bus socket or does the seat need to be removed and connect it directly to the battery?
You would need to hook it directly to the battery. What I did was buy a powerlet kit to go straight to the battery with the rear accessory socket and got an SAE to powerlet plug cable also from powerlet so now I just plug into the rear socket and go. I have the old BMW branded charger which is just a Deltran battery tender plus and all works great. Easy peezy
lemon squeezy.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I bought the BMW Canbus battery charger almost 3 years ago, it seems to work very well. The only drawback is the price, by comparison it is a little more than double some of your other choices that will work just as well. The benefit of the Canbus model is that you simply plug it into the power socket, no muss, no fuss.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Battery Tender Jr. When I got the bike the dealer had already installed a pigtail from the battery. When I return from a ride I just plug it in.
Amazon has been selling these from time to time for a little over 20 bucks, including shipping.

·
Registered
444 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
From Optimate website.

RETAIL: US$ 89.90
MODEL: TM-245 (DUAL Program)
CAN-bus Ready model - program 2 preselected

Make sure you order the CAN-BUS Edition of the Optimate 4

http://www.tecmate.com/u_optimate_4_dual.php#

Program 2 (default setting on this model) recovers, charges, tests and maintains the battery through the CAN-bus controlled 12V socket with the supplied SAE-79 accessory (see pictures to the right). The SAE-74 set of battery clips is included for direct charging. KEY-LESS activation guarantees automatic opening & re-opening of the connection without the ignition ever being not turned on, guaranteeing absolute peace of mind during long term storage.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Dann323 said:
I would highly recommend you have your front socket rewired directly to the battery or even better through a Aux. fuse panel like a Centech AP-2.

This bypasses the ZFE/Canbus and you can plug a Battery Tender (or the non-canbus BMW branded version is a Deltran Battery Tender) directly into the socket without futzing with the seat and pigtails. Additionally, this allows you to plug other accessories (cell phone charger, heated apparel, etc.) directly onto the front socket without canbus overload issues.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again for the good advices. This why I like this forum.
I already have a second powerlet socket next to the pillion seat.
So I guess that I could use an optimate 4 (can-bus) with a powerlet adaptor and plug it there^

·
Registered
151 Posts
I will post a little exotic opinion.
My charger is ctek (it's swedish one).
Their interwebs is http://www.ctek.com. And if you go to North America you can't find all the products :wtf:

Mine is 5.0

I choose that one because it can do either car's battery (up to 110 Amp/h) and it is possible to leave it for entire winter on a moto.
Their marketing says:
The MXS 5.0 is a charger that offers state of the art technology that was previously only found in CTEK’s professional product range. The charger can solve a broad range of battery-related problems and is the perfect charger for those with high demands. The MXS 5.0 offers features such as battery diagnosis that shows if a battery can receive and retain a charge, a special reconditioning function that restores stratified and deeply discharged batteries, unique maintenance charging, a mode for optimised charging during cold winter days
Yes, some nights here are - 22 F, and it is not easy to start up diesel engine. Even if it is made by volvo :) . Last winter there wasn't any problems for my car. And I am pretty sure that this winter I will fire up my volvo at any temp. :cool:

For my own comfort for moto I have made direct connection to battery and for connection I use this:

Even my 6 year old daughter can "give some power to motorrad".

And for car I use another special connection:

So ctek at autumn is on moto, then when it is very cold - it goes to car and at March it goes back to moto.

We have tried it on 5 "dead" car batteries. 3 of them are in normal use again. :cool:

·
Registered
955 Posts
Niksons said:
I will post a little exotic opinion.
My charger is ctek (it's swedish one).
Their interwebs is http://www.ctek.com. And if you go to North America you can't find all the products :wtf:

Mine is 5.0
That particular model requires a 220V AC input. Standard household voltage in North America is 120V, so there is little point in marketing a 220V device here. (220v power is available, but is reserved for high power devices such as furnaces and water heaters)

·
Registered
151 Posts
lkraus said:
That particular model requires a 220V AC input. Standard household voltage in North America is 120V, so there is little point in marketing a 220V device here. (220v power is available, but is reserved for high power devices such as furnaces and water heaters)

aaaa
That wasn't clear to me. I have seen a lot of devices from US, which are tuned for 220 V 60 Hz.
Here we have 220 V 50 Hz. For simple devices that frequency issue is not a problem.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I found out that this bike has a connector hooked to the battery. ( I bought it last spring and still discover new things on it.)
I guess that I can use any battery charger and not neccesarely a CAN-bus one?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.