BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prior to leaving on my cross county ride to the BMWMOA rally I thought it prudent to change my original OEM BMW battery.

I firmly believe in the "if it ain't broke ,don't fix it" rule but discression being the better part of being stranded in Monument Valley I thought it worth the effort & expense.

Like most of us we have attached several add-ons to our positive & negative post, in my case I had 4, heated clothing, PIAA lights, a Ducati light mod and 2 additional lights. One can never have too much light! I had slowly grown a wire jungle under my seat.

The Tampa dealer sells a fuse block assembly, can't recall the trade name, to eliminate unnecessary connections to the positive post. Just one large gauge insulated wire with 6
fused locations to attach accessories.

I located the fuse block just behind and slightly below the ride adjustment assembly. The fuse block comes with 2, 3M double-stuck velcro type assemblies. I mounted the fuse block on the fender area of the rear tire.

The wire clean up was helped by my ability to remove all those bulky in-line fuse assemblies and replace them with ATC type fuses in the fuse block.

I hope the pictures are helpful.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
That looks good. I've got a similar situation, just delaying the inevitable. Too many accessories directly off of the battery. My before picture will be messy....

I bought a Fuze Blocks several months ago and have been waiting for the right inspiration. Maybe this weekend. Thanks for the push.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dan:

Good to hear from you. Ya, I feel your pain. I looked at my fuse block for a month and finally dove in. At least there's no tupperware to remove.

One thing I forgot to mention in the original post. I also purchased at AutoZone that spiral electrical wrap. Comes in 2 sizes about 3 feet long. Makes a nice loom of wires.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
After I installed my BlueSea fuse block I also added one of these! . It eliminated all the wires to the negative battery terminal as well. :bmw:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Paul, where/how did you mount the ground block? It has ear tabs with mounting holes and drilling a hole anywhere on this thing would likely give me the jitters.

Loren

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Paul, where/how did you mount the ground block? It has ear tabs with mounting holes and drilling a hole anywhere on this thing would likely give me the jitters.

Loren
I used cable ties to the frame. With the other ground wires stiffening it up, it seems to stay in place A-OK.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts