BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long hard winter in the U.K, looks like spring is in the air. The thing is my LT lives outside and gets ridden every few days. When we had snow and minus 7 the bike never got rode for a few weeks at a time. It always started on the button first time. Now the sun has arrived the other day,i went to start her and nothing not even a dash light. I thought i might have left the stereo on,put some jump leads on and she started straight away. I went for a ride,no more problems. Next day same problem,no dash lights and flat battery,jump leads again. Also when i have been riding along the abs light stays flashing and my trip computer all over the place. Can i safely assume this is linked to the battery and thats it,or perhaps something more sinister like broken alternator not charging battery.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Low battery can cause all sorts to strange stuff, most notably the abs error. From your description I'd agree your battery is toast.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Can you check the battery voltage after it has rested overnight, after you have started it and it is running, and then again after you have run it to recharge and switched off for an hour or two? These voltage readings should tell quite a story, and confirm your suspicions.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Basic voltage at idle should be 13.6 + or - measured across the battery terminals. Fully charged battery is about 12.6 with no load. If you are showing 13+ at idle get a new battery. Make sure it's a sealed battery and not a wet cell with a drain tube. I imagine it's just your battery and not the alternator or it would not stay running after the jump start.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts