BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently brought home my new bike, but I think the battery didn't like sitting in the cold, it now cranks really slow and wont start it. Looked at the records and the battery was new early 2012, so for me its due so I have no issues later. Well I was doing some looking on a battery and charger. Figured going with the Odyssey battery.

But when it comes to chargers... I see talk about the K1200LT since it has CANBUS, do I really need to be concerned about it? I also saw some reviews on the Opitmate 4 that some issues are they dont charge 100%. Which can help shorten its life.

I am leaning toward the NOCO genius, they are full chargers and maintainers. From info on the AGM batteries, they need to be charged at a higher voltage. The Opitmate goes to 13volts and the NOCO can got to 15.5volts.

Well wondering what yall think.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I recently brought home my new bike, but I think the battery didn't like sitting in the cold, it now cranks really slow and wont start it. Looked at the records and the battery was new early 2012, so for me its due so I have no issues later. Well I was doing some looking on a battery and charger. Figured going with the Odyssey battery.

But when it comes to chargers... I see talk about the K1200LT since it has CANBUS, do I really need to be concerned about it? I also saw some reviews on the Opitmate 4 that some issues are they dont charge 100%. Which can help shorten its life.

I am leaning toward the NOCO genius, they are full chargers and maintainers. From info on the AGM batteries, they need to be charged at a higher voltage. The Opitmate goes to 13volts and the NOCO can got to 15.5volts.

Well wondering what yall think.

Thank you.

Although many BMW models that came out after 2004 have CANBUS, there is NO such thing on the K1200LT. The electrical system is just basic wires and fuses for all versions (1999-2009) WITHOUT any of these CANBUS controllers.

The ODYSSEY is a very good strong battery (PC680) for the K1200LT - many satisfied owners here including me ;-)

The ODYSSEY web site contains a lot of info about the needed charging voltages and cycles. In general, any good modern charger that has a mode to charge between 14.4 to 15 volts max. Look at pages 15-17 of the ODYSSEY technical manual here on their web site:
http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/US-ODY-TM.pdf

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Although many BMW models that came out after 2004 have CANBUS, there is NO such thing on the K1200LT. The electrical system is just basic wires and fuses for all versions (1999-2009) WITHOUT any of these CANBUS controllers.

The ODYSSEY is a very good strong battery (PC680) for the K1200LT - many satisfied owners here including me ;-)

The ODYSSEY web site contains a lot of info about the needed charging voltages and cycles. In general, any good modern charger that has a mode to charge between 14.4 to 15 volts max. Look at pages 15-17 of the ODYSSEY technical manual here on their web site:
http://www.odysseybattery.com/documents/US-ODY-TM.pdf
Thank you for the info, the link gives me more info then expected but useful. Thank you.

As for the CBUS.... so the k1200LT (I have a 2009) has none at all... or just the charging system doesnt use it.

I ask because I thought that it did use CBUS for its communication between other controllers and such.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I had an Odyssey PC680 in my '07 LT and used a CTEK MUS 4.3 charger, plugged into the lower right hand Powerlet plug. (Odyssey recommends the larger version of the CTEK charger, but mine worked fine.) On longer trips far from home and the charger, I also carry(ied) a Powerall Deluxe emergency jump starter in the side case, just in case (I used it to jump start a stalled pick up truck at a rest stop south of Mendocino, and my neighbor's and my Mustang) and they work great. You can get a similar EJS at Costco for about $60, as a bunch of companies make them now. :bmw:

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Well. I have the Odyssey PC 680 in my LT. And a Battery Tender plus to charge/maintain it. No problems so far. I picked the Odyssey because I've had 2 in my Suzuki Intruder and loved them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts