BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked through the archives with no success so I'll ask.

I've seen the posts with alarm resetting when changing the battery but they're usually alarms that auto arm.

I'll be changing the battery in my 2002 K1200LT this weekend. I have the OEM/BMW on the bike. The alarm is set to mode B which means I have to arm the alarm and immobilizer with the remote.

If my alarm is OFF when I remove the old battery and replace it with the new one, will it still do the auto arm when the power is disconnected? I'm hoping since the system is NOT armed it will stay that way so I don't have to go throught the reset procedure.

Thanks!

·
Registered
183 Posts
My '05 LT has had the battery disconnected more than once and it hasn't changed the alarm. Mine has the same setting as yours in the alarm mode.

The alarm/receiver has it's own battery so the alarm will still function if the bike battery is disconnected. Your changing the bike battery shouldn't do anything to alter the alarm system.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I understood that it would default when disconnected from the battery. Default is immobilizer mode. Maybe if your fast... let us know.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
Like beartooth said there is a battery built into the alarm, unless it is dead you should have no problem. The only issue I had after two weeks off the battery was i had to arm and disarm the alarm several times to get the rolling codes sync'ed up againg but the mode was still correct.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
The bike I just purchased has not been on the charger for the last year. When I replaced the battery all I got was a little chirp when I made the final connection to the battery. Alarm was in what ever mode it was in when it died. JM2CW

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
How long does that alam battery hold the program settings?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The battery currently in the bike is NOT dead, but is coming up on 4 1/2 years old. I just figured it was time to replace it when I could instead of when I had to or was stranded.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
mwnahas said:
How long does that alam battery hold the program settings?
All I can attest to is a 5 1/2 year old alarm, off battery for two + weeks, will hold its programming.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I now have my answer! Beartooth was 100% correct.

My alarm was in B mode and NOT armed when I disconnected the old battery. Upon installing and connecting the new battery I got 3 beeps from the alarm in about 15 seconds and the LED showed the system was now armed. With my remote I disarmed and all was well. Finished tightening everything up, set the TPS and started up.

:bmw:

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
If a battery is built into the alarm itself, what is the life expectancy of that battery and how is it replaced? My alarm has done some unusual things lately, so I'm changing the FOB battery this evening. Some of the info in this post has me concerned though. If the alarm goes off and you can't disable it with the fob, then disconnecting the main battery will not disable it either?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
It won't go off continuosly. But it seems like it when it does. It shuts down the siren after a while and waits for the next activation.

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
JM2CW
Had the battery disconnected for 2 months, ( sea transport to Europe ) and the last time for 9 months ( Long storage whilst back in Australia ) No ill effects on the alarm ( Manual mode )
Removed the Gel Battery and recharged with the BMW OEM Gel charger. Don't recall getting any beeps, but the functions remained as they were.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Hilton said:
JM2CW
Had the battery disconnected for 2 months, ( sea transport to Europe ) and the last time for 9 months ( Long storage whilst back in Australia ) No ill effects on the alarm ( Manual mode )
Removed the Gel Battery and recharged with the BMW OEM Gel charger. Don't recall getting any beeps, but the functions remained as they were.
That's very cool, but I know one guy disconnect the battery to put a chip in at 2005 CCR and his alarm defaulted back to where you had to use the fob to start the bike, but he didn't have his with him. He had it programmed so you would'nt need the fob and left it at home.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts