BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,
I did something dumb with my 2000 K1200LT in storage this winter. I left my GPS mount plugged in (like an idiot), and it was slowly discharging the battery.
I realized this right after an extreme MN cold snap. It was in my garage but I'm sure hit well below zero. Found the battery at 7.51V in the middle of February. Put it on the battery tender, left it on for a week or 2, then pulled it off. It was holding 12V for a while. Fast forward to now, we're at 6.80V.

I'm fairly sure I've well & good knackered this battery by abuse and I shouldn't even try to do anything with it other than replace it. But I could leave it on the tender again for a few days and see if she'll start the bike.

But I've heard that the ABSII gets killed by batteries that are in bad shape - is there truth to that?

Also, what's the current recommendations for what to put in for a battery. This one that the PO put in is a yuasa that seems to be sealed - it's the YT19BL-BS.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,258 Posts
ABSII does not get damaged by a low battery but it will set a fault condition that must be cleared by either the dealer, a GS-911 or clever application of a wire on pin 21 of the connector.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up replacing the battery with another Yuasa AGM battery where you have to charge it yourself. Have put Yuasa batteries on other bikes and not been let down, plus that's what the PO had in there, so he had all the spacing set up correctly in the retainer bracket. (Including a fuse box on top, which is really nice!)

Started it up and had gas coming down from the left side, googled the forum history here, noted the complaints about the hose clamp on the fuel rail, went ahead and pulled the upper left fairing, tightened it up, and all is good. Some good advice in the forum history, for sure.

Thanks, all!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts