BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All;

does ANYBODY really understand basecamp. wow, Garmin cant come up with any thing better.
I have a short ironbutt ride coming up and every time i plan a route it takes me the slowest way possible.
i need expressways and interstates. Yes i have all the avoidance off, it should route the fastest way. and add to that all the way-points i want to stop at. my god man the most frustrating thing on the planet, and i have ALOT of patience.

Zeke

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
The common problem that I h ave is that after creating a route on the PC, when it's transferred to either my Zumo or Nuvi it is recalculated by the GPS and can look very different than what I laid our on the PC. Seems like the transfer includes only the way points and not the actual route. Of course this can be avoided by including additional intermediate way points in the original route. Seems like this was not necessary with my older Garmin GPS devices. They would accept a route exactly as it was planned on the PC without the additional way points.

Reactions: biker01red

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Check to see what activity profile you are using. On the toolbar at the top, are you using the motorcycle icon or the car? If you want the fastest and interstates, use the car.

Ron

Reactions: mwnahas

·
Registered
394 Posts
I gave up on basecamp simply because I don't ride enough unknown routes to retain the memory of how to quickly use the software.

I use Furkot now but I still have to use plenty of "vias" and even then I have to be real careful about placement of the vias because it makes a difference which side of a 4 lane highway you place the point! Had me going in circles a few times.

I still have not found a simple way to reverse my exact route for the return trip or how save an on-the-fly route.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The common problem that I h ave is that after creating a route on the PC, when it's transferred to either my Zumo or Nuvi it is recalculated by the GPS and can look very different than what I laid our on the PC. Seems like the transfer includes only the way points and not the actual route. Of course this can be avoided by including additional intermediate way points in the original route. Seems like this was not necessary with my older Garmin GPS devices. They would accept a route exactly as it was planned on the PC without the additional way points.
If you don't want the Zumo or Nuvi or BMW Nav convert your route to a track and then follow the track. Tracks don't get modified by the on-bike unit. You can create your trip using the route routine in Basecamp and then convert to track before you transfer into your on-bike machine.

·
Registered
2019 BMW R1250RT
86 Posts
I have exactly the same experience. I think the NAV VI is crap !!!!! I never had the problem with prior Garmin products. I called and emailed Garmin NAV VI support, got the same answer "they will not recommend specific settings".....
I do a lot of custom routes each year, definitely not happy with the NAV VI...

·
Registered
2019 BMW R1250RT
86 Posts
If you don't want the Zumo or Nuvi or BMW Nav convert your route to a track and then follow the track. Tracks don't get modified by the on-bike unit. You can create your trip using the route routine in Basecamp and then convert to track before you transfer into your on-bike machine.
How do I do that ??

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have exactly the same experience. I think the NAV VI is crap !!!!! I never had the problem with prior Garmin products. I called and emailed Garmin NAV VI support, got the same answer "they will not recommend specific settings".....
I do a lot of custom routes each year, definitely not happy with the NAV VI...
My experience has been different. I don't think I have had a Garmin device that didn't come up with a different route than what I had produced in Basecamp. I have always had to add intermediate waypoints to make sure the route was as expected.

I guess I don't understand all the Basecamp bashing. I have tried multiple programs and each one had some feature I didn't like, and none of them were immediately intuitive without practice. Nothing has been perfect, including Basecamp.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll give that a try. That will surely simplify my life!:smile:

As far as all the other complaints concerning Base Camp, I'll admit that the transition from MapSource to BaseCamp was painful and one heck of a steep learning curve. However, with all the pain and suffering behind me, except for the routing issue mentioned in this post, I now find that BaseCamp works well for me. With the custom routing capabilities and frequent map data base updates it beats the hell out of the OEM GPS functions available in either of my cars.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll give that a try. That will surely simplify my life!:smile:

As far as all the other complaints concerning Base Camp, I'll admit that the transition from MapSource to BaseCamp was painful and one heck of a steep learning curve. However, with all the pain and suffering behind me, except for the routing issue mentioned in this post, I now find that BaseCamp works well for me. With the custom routing capabilities and frequent map data base updates it beats the hell out of the OEM GPS functions available in either of my cars.
A steep learning curve seems reasonable for a new software program. I found the learning curve for Mapsource equally frustrating and steep when I attempted to see if the grass was indeed greener on the other side...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Riders:

If you want to have a static path to follow, I suggest converting your "routes" to "tracks." Tracks won't change if you take a turn off the path, but it will not reroute your trip as well.

I always use tracks because we don't often get too far off the planned path.

Give basecamp some time, that is what it takes. You have to experiment, fail and then do it right.

I'm most used to basecamp generated tracks on a Montana 680 with my KTM690. I've got to come up the learning curve on my NAV VI here soon!

I tried loading my 24K Topo maps on the NAV VI and it was too busy in my opinion - I need more time experimenting!

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
If you want to have a static path to follow, I suggest converting your "routes" to "tracks." Tracks won't change if you take a turn off the path, but it will not reroute your trip as well.
ok I will bite. How do you convert a route to tracks? I did not see any options in BaseCamp. I have many "via points" in a route and make sure to turn off alert for each point. If I create a 100 mile ride on back roads, I can have 20 "via points" in the one route. The "via points" makes sure I stay on the roads I want and not have BaseCamp route me on a different road.
Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have not tried the TRACK option - Furkot has an option on the export screen to save as a track or a route and they give the following explanation:

"Track is a point-by-point representation of your trip course. Route is a series of points that help your GPS device or navigation app navigate along your trip course."

FWIW, even when I use Furkot, when I load my route into the NAV V the night before my ride it looks perfect but when it actually links up with the satellite the next day, it usually doesn't look the same. I think it must continuously dynamically adjust the route. Perhaps the Track option would get around this? As others have said, if you have enough vias or waypoints, you force it to go a certain way but from my experience this can be a LOT of points to plot.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
...if you have enough vias or waypoints, you force it to go a certain way but from my experience this can be a LOT of points to plot.
Correct, but you have to load a lot of vias and waypoints to stay on your route. The further they are spaced, the more chance the gps will recalculate your route. I mainly use my routes with many vias when planning a two to three hour local group ride. I have not noticed any deviation from this.

·
Registered
451 Posts
ok I will bite. How do you convert a route to tracks? I did not see any options in BaseCamp. I have many "via points" in a route and make sure to turn off alert for each point. If I create a 100 mile ride on back roads, I can have 20 "via points" in the one route. The "via points" makes sure I stay on the roads I want and not have BaseCamp route me on a different road.
Thanks!!!!
Open the route, you will see the option to create a track at the bottom of the window.

Attachments

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
It does not look like mine either, but I do have the Create Track Option. I will have to try it sometime.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 BMW R1250RT
86 Posts
It does not look like mine either, but I do have the Create Track Option. I will have to try it sometime.
I have an Apple iMac computer....my screen does not have the "create a track" option....
There is an option to create a route from a track, no option to create a track from a route ??
The screens must be different when using Windows ??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts