BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basecamp 4.6.3
Zumo 660
Trying to import some KML files into Basecamp. I usually can drag one onto the map and it loads into the side column. I then drag it up into the directory where I want it. It shows on the map and etc.

I then drag a second set the same way. It works fine, BUT the first file disappears completely. Same when I try to drag in file 3 & 4.
Been in contact with Garmin support. No luck. They wanted copies of the KML files. Sent them.

Any suggestions??

·
Registered
542 Posts
Basecamp 4.6.3
Zumo 660
Trying to import some KML files into Basecamp. I usually can drag one onto the map and it loads into the side column. I then drag it up into the directory where I want it. It shows on the map and etc.

I then drag a second set the same way. It works fine, BUT the first file disappears completely. Same when I try to drag in file 3 & 4.
Been in contact with Garmin support. No luck. They wanted copies of the KML files. Sent them.

Any suggestions??
Instead of dragging the KML file onto the BaseCamp map, try importing it directly into whatever master folder contains your files. "File>Import into My Collection" or create a new list which will hold those files if they are for a separate trip you are planning. " File>New List (rename list to whatever you want) then File>Import into New List" This should work, and will keep all of your KML files intact. Let me know if this doesn't work out for you, but it works for me.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did that too. Import into folder. It goes in. When I import the 2nd one, the first disappears....completely.

Here is the latest from Garmin- this AM.
Dear David Major,

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

Google Earth KML files are really just containers and can contain many different types of data depending how and when the data was created.

I also could not directly open 2 out of the 3 files.

While Garmin does not directly support 3rd party data and software or personal data, we can give suggestions.

I would use 3rd party software to covert the KML file to a GPX file. Then try and open it in Basecamp.

There are likely 100's of methods to manipulate data, however, here is one site>

GPS Visualizer

You can upload a kml and output a gpx. When done try and open the gpx file in Basecamp.

If this does not work, you will want to go back to the source of the data and request a .gpx route file that will work directly with your Zumo.

With Best Regards,

Kyle

Customer Care - Automotive Team
Garmin International

·
Registered
542 Posts
Did that too. Import into folder. It goes in. When I import the 2nd one, the first disappears....completely.

Here is the latest from Garmin- this AM.
Dear David Major,

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

Google Earth KML files are really just containers and can contain many different types of data depending how and when the data was created.

I also could not directly open 2 out of the 3 files.

While Garmin does not directly support 3rd party data and software or personal data, we can give suggestions.

I would use 3rd party software to covert the KML file to a GPX file. Then try and open it in Basecamp.

There are likely 100's of methods to manipulate data, however, here is one site>

GPS Visualizer

You can upload a kml and output a gpx. When done try and open the gpx file in Basecamp.

If this does not work, you will want to go back to the source of the data and request a .gpx route file that will work directly with your Zumo.

With Best Regards,

Kyle

Customer Care - Automotive Team
Garmin International
I believe he is correct. Sometimes KML files from Google Earth get corrupted. I have seen this before where a KML file would not upload correctly, but usually the GPX file will.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts