BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone using it? I just saw it on the Garmin site and down loaded it. From the surface, it seems much more user friendly than MapSourse.

I haven't don anything with it yet, but plan to play around with it for a while.

Any hints, suggestions or cautions?

My GPS is the Nav IV.

·
Registered
712 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Agreed. there are a few items that MAY have been easier in MS. However, the layout, ease of use and added functionality are a major plus in my opinion. The search tool is a great addition. the ability to "pull" a route change is wonderful!...

·
Registered
453 Posts
If you are used to MapSource (MS) then it is a different concept, and thereby difficult to use. If you decide to make routes it can be very nice. Both programs have a steep learning curve, but I think it is worth it if you persevere.

I was a MS person, and there are elements of MS which are better, I think the database and reference system is a distinct advantage. This gives one set of data across the routes, this makes it easier to control your waypoints. I find the BaseCamp (BC) search function not as user friendly as MS

Another useful forum is the www.zumoforums.com. I have learnt a significant amount regarding MS, BC & the Navigator IV.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, I know my way around, but I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination.

Best regards
Adam

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ---

Seems like I rely mostly on Mapquest since it is so easy but thought that initially Basecamp would be similar. It's not!

I'm not a heavy user of exact mapping and generally just set up a list of way points for trips, unless there is a very specific place that I'm looking for. Mapquest makes that very easy. Maybe the tutorial will change my mind.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Possible tech seminar at CCR????

·
Registered
453 Posts
The tutorials will help. There are also some Garmin tutorials as well.

I think the best thing to do, is try and make a number of routes. I have recently planned a number of routes (10) in Germany which I gleaned from the local tourist office.

The first few, I had to sweat blood, as well as the cursing that I wanted to go back to the comfort zone of MS. After a while you get used to the creating, & amending of the routes. I am by no means an expert, but I can create a route reasonably quickly.

One of the things I like is you can store your routes (and their tracks) so you can see gaps where you have not (yet) been. However you can make nested folders so you do not have to work constantly through data you do not want.

It is a pain, but when I look back at my experiences with MS, learning that was also a pain! However I believe taking the time is worth it, and the best way is to do a real route planning otherwise it just does not work!

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
shoswell said:
Agreed. there are a few items that MAY have been easier in MS. However, the layout, ease of use and added functionality are a major plus in my opinion. The search tool is a great addition. the ability to "pull" a route change is wonderful!...
Not sure from your comment if you know this, but you can 'pull' a route change in MS. With the 'selection tool' (white arrow) selected, click on the route where you want to change it, then drag the rubber band to the new location.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts