BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2021 BMW R1250RT
42 Posts
I saw the other thread and that does look enticing. I wanted to do this because it's quick and unintrusive.

This will be for my Zumo XT. I'm going to use a RAM mount U bolt/ball with short arm, and bball plate to mount to the Zumo mounting plate. I want to run it down to the battery and need to figure out how much to take apart with actually ripping half the bike apart.

For me the built in navigation via the phone/TFT is good enough most of the time, but for big trips like I'm taking to the Claw of the Dragon I will be easier with the Zumo.
The Zumo XT comes with its own mount with all the fittings you need. You can power the Zumo from the auxiliary plug wire under the right side panel of you want it on switched power.

·
Registered
2021 BMW R1250RT
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes I have mine mounted with the Zumo motorcycle mount, but I used a u-bolt ball so it would not be so high. I plan to wire it up tomorrow, but what is this auxiliary connection that you are talking about?

·
Registered
2021 BMW R1250RT
42 Posts
Yes I have mine mounted with the Zumo motorcycle mount, but I used a u-bolt ball so it would not be so high. I plan to wire it up tomorrow, but what is this auxiliary connection that you are talking about?
Interesting, mine came with the u-bolt mounting ball, as you can see in the photo. I used the short ram ball extension that was also included to get it above my tank bag.

The auxiliary connection is the Powerlet ("cigarette plug") on the top of the right fairing. You can access the wiring to it by pulling off the top right side panel. I used a positap to splice in to the 12V power wire (red) to the powerlet connector, and attached the Zumo ground to a vacant screw hole, just had to add the bolt. This way the Zumo turns on and off with the bike switch. Be aware that with the Zumo connected, it will take almost 5 minutes for the auxiliary power to shut down after you turn the bike off (normal,and per the manual). This has not proven to be an issue, and in some cases I find it preferable when stopping for gas or other short stop, as all my devices remain paired together and don't have to re-pair after shutting down the bike. I don't use the TFT at all for Nav, phone or music. Zumo handles all of it.

If you look carefully you will find a small opening inside the right panel that will get you access to the wiring harnesses for the clutch and front brake, and with a couple of zip ties you can route the Zumo power cables fairly easily. Just check for adequate slack and make sure the cables aren't pinched at full lock.

Steve

·
Registered
2021 BMW R1250RT
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Interesting, mine came with the u-bolt mounting ball, as you can see in the photo. I used the short ram ball extension that was also included to get it above my tank bag.

The auxiliary connection is the Powerlet ("cigarette plug") on the top of the right fairing. You can access the wiring to it by pulling off the top right side panel. I used a positap to splice in to the 12V power wire (red) to the powerlet connector, and attached the Zumo ground to a vacant screw hole, just had to add the bolt. This way the Zumo turns on and off with the bike switch. Be aware that with the Zumo connected, it will take almost 5 minutes for the auxiliary power to shut down after you turn the bike off (normal,and per the manual). This has not proven to be an issue, and in some cases I find it preferable when stopping for gas or other short stop, as all my devices remain paired together and don't have to re-pair after shutting down the bike. I don't use the TFT at all for Nav, phone or music. Zumo handles all of it.

If you look carefully you will find a small opening inside the right panel that will get you access to the wiring harnesses for the clutch and front brake, and with a couple of zip ties you can route the Zumo power cables fairly easily. Just check for adequate slack and make sure the cables aren't pinched at full lock.

Steve
Oh that is perfect! I did not think of tapping into the powerlet from underneath. I was going to run it down to the battery, but this is so much better as it will be switched and I like the 5 minute delay. Thanks for this info!

You are using the tall ubolt that came with the unit. I am using this short one and the short socket arm to mount it in portrait, but down lower.

·
Registered
2021 BMW R1250RT
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well I got the Zumo wired up today. Thanks to @Pasobiker for tip about tapping into the powerlet. I wasn't even thinking of tapping that and was planning to go straight to the battery. This is much better as it was less work and it's on switched power. I'm, not sure what the circuit is rated at, but I will probably never use the powerlet anyways as it's in a stupid spot. @Pasobiker says his outlet shuts off after 5 minutes, but mine shuts off after 1 minute.

I installed bar extensions, mounted my Zumo using the motorcycle plate with a short RAM Mount u-bolt and short arm. I ran the cable down with the clutch and control wiring loom using the existing cable ties leaving slack in case i wanted to reorient the Zumo later. I ran the wire across top of the frame tucking it under the tank cover to the right side of the bike and found an opening above the right radiator to fish the transformer & wire through. I then cut the wires for the powerlet and used a few yellow wirenuts to tie it to the powerlet circuit as I'm not a fan of posi-tapsI. I zip tied it up on the phone fan to keep it away away from from the radiator.

The Zumo is now main duty and I'm using an old Galaxy S9 in the wireless craddle as a back up Navi with no SIM card. This setup is not clean and pretty like stock, but much better then the Motorrad connected app.

I hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Interesting that you think the DIN socket is "in a stupid spot" :)

That's the socket I use to plug my BMW battery tender in - I find it to be a very convenient spot.

Intriguingly though, if I plug the tender into the other DIN socket at the rear of the bike, the tender complains that there is "no battery" and that "positive and negative polarities are reversed" !

Has anyone else tried charging through that socket?

·
Registered
2021 BMW R1250RT
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Interesting that you think the DIN socket is "in a stupid spot" :)

That's the socket I use to plug my BMW battery tender in - I find it to be a very convenient spot.

Intriguingly though, if I plug the tender into the other DIN socket at the rear of the bike, the tender complains that there is "no battery" and that "positive and negative polarities are reversed" !

Has anyone else tried charging through that socket?
It's in a stupid spot for utilizing it for gear and accessories. It's on top of the bike out in the open for water to leak into it and there is no place to tie down wires etc. Unlike previous RTs the rear socket cannot be used for a battery tender, only the front port can. The front socket is in a good place for that usage though, but I do not use battery tenders so that's pointless to me.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts