BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,341 Posts
I use the dead weight method as well. Lock the drive in the vise and hang a 20lb weight 1 ft out from the drive to check @20 ft lbs . I do this near both ends of the range. I release the tension on the spring as well but not fully, I always dial a tiny bit of tension back in when storing. So far all my wrenches have held their accuracy.

Reactions: DRONE

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
I use the dead weight method as well. Lock the drive in the vise and hang a 20lb weight 1 ft out from the drive to check @20 ft lbs . I do this near both ends of the range. I release the tension on the spring as well but not fully, I always dial a tiny bit of tension back in when storing. So far all my wrenches have held their accuracy.
Most wrenches take out all of the slack and have just a touch of compression on the spring when set at their lowest setting which is what most wrench makers recommend. I would not go above the minimum or you do risk the spring shortening over time. Same problem with leaving magazines fully loaded for years at a time.

·
Registered
650 Posts
So I thought I would show you what I use. These are both Warren and Brown wrenches made here in Australia. They were both around the $300 mark. They were a little expensive but they are high quality and I wasn't going to buy from an enemy state. 😜 They are the click type and they way they indicate using that small flat indicator anvil that sits close to the scale, you can't really misread it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I would consider filing some metal off the latches also to reduce the closing force required. Even with the latches filed and polished, they still provide more than enough compression on the gasket to prevent leaks when closed.
Did you file it on the horizontal portion when in the closed position and approximately how much did you take off?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So I thought I would show you what I use. These are both Warren and Brown wrenches made here in Australia. They were both around the $300 mark. They were a little expensive but they are high quality and I wasn't going to buy from an enemy state. 😜 They are the click type and they way they indicate using that small flat indicator anvil that sits close to the scale, you can't really misread it.
View attachment 172103 View attachment 172104 View attachment 172105
Those are nice. I borrowed a friends bending beam and managed to tighten a number of bolts with no more failures. We checked my click type by connecting to his beam and it failed to click until well past the setting. I have found the source of my problem and feel a little better better about myself. The problem with his beam is the scale leaves one to estimate and isn't as precise as yours. I guess you get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
Did you file it on the horizontal portion when in the closed position and approximately how much did you take off?
It has been nearly 14 years since I did mine, but I am pretty sure I actually took the latches off the lid so I could hold them in a vise to file. If you close the handle with the lid open, you will see how the latches curl down under the roll pins. I then filed a little metal, probably 30 to 40 thousandths, from the entire “ramp” of the latch where it first engages and then slides/rolls under the pin. I then polished with progressively fine sandpaper until it was quite smooth. I then put a thin film of grease on the ramp. The lid closed much more smoothly and easily afterward and the wear on the pins slowed down. I was surprised how much of the pins had been worn in the few months before I made the modification. I wish I had pictures, but I do not believe I have any from that operation.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It has been nearly 14 years since I did mine, but I am pretty sure I actually took the latches off the lid so I could hold them in a vise to file. If you close the handle with the lid open, you will see how the latches curl down under the roll pins. I then filed a little metal, probably 30 to 40 thousandths, from the entire “ramp” of the latch where it first engages and then slides/rolls under the pin. I then polished with progressively fine sandpaper until it was quite smooth. I then put a thin film of grease on the ramp. The lid closed much more smoothly and easily afterward and the wear on the pins slowed down. I was surprised how much of the pins had been worn in the few months before I made the modification. I wish I had pictures, but I do not believe I have any from that operation.
Thanks for sharing the information.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts