BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Completing an inspection after a 1200 mile BC run I noticed my fork slider tube ball joint rubber boot has cracked/torn since my last inspection 1500 miles ago. Looking at the parts list I noticed there is no part for this rubber boot... which means the entire ball joint must be replaced. Am I reading this right?

·
Registered
980 Posts
david_yancey said:
Completing an inspection after a 1200 mile BC run I noticed my fork slider tube ball joint rubber boot has cracked/torn since my last inspection 1500 miles ago. Looking at the parts list I noticed there is no part for this rubber boot... which means the entire ball joint must be replaced. Am I reading this right?
Are you referring to the ball joint on the lower fork brace (connects the telelever), and not the actual fork tube seals/covers?

If so then yes - the whole thing needs replacement if you want a new seal. If the ball joint is still OK you may be able to rig something up to seal it - the boot's there to keep the grease in and dirt out.

Just did mine not too long ago for the same reason (and also the the ball joint was worn). Purchased it new (there are some questionable used ones on e-bay, and come complete with the fork bridge, I suspect since they're "hard" to remove without the correct tools) and had the dealer install it, as I didn't have the correct tools at the time, nor the time to actually get the work done!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the ball joint mounted to the brace is what I am talking about... as I was reading the parts and repair manuals it would have helped to have included that descriptor of the brace in it. I have enough miles on the bike, maybe I'll just go ahead and replace it when I swap out the front tire.

Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.