BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding to work I heard a funny banging noise from the front end. When I got to work I had someone push down on the back of the bike to get the front end in the air so I could inspect it. Much to my surprise the ball joint that mounts into the lower fork bridge was missing the nut with the threaded portion of the ball joint. When I saw that it really scared the you know what out of me. The question is has anyone replaced the ball joint while the fork bridge is installed? The torque is 170 ft/lb.
Thanx

·
Registered
22 Posts
About a month ago the balljoint broke loose as I was taking the bike off the center stand. Had the dealer repair at a cost of $1700. It appeared to me that the balljoint screws directly into the fork bridge through the suspension strut.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,341 Posts
That is a lot of torque to be putting on the forks. I would be more comfortable doing it off the bike in a good vise. Just like the manual states.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
zdgz said:
About a month ago the balljoint broke loose as I was taking the bike off the center stand. Had the dealer repair at a cost of $1700. It appeared to me that the balljoint screws directly into the fork bridge through the suspension strut.
Holy Smokes !!!

If the shop only replaced the ball joint how did they arrive at that price.

The way I see it parts $200, labor 2-3 hours.! Please give all details.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,341 Posts
I think the ball joint stripped out the fork bridge so it was more like $600 for parts (fork bridge is $450 alone). Plus what ever else was damaged when it let go. Fender, telelever etc.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Why did it fail? Do you know? Was any part rusted through or something?

jzeiler said:
I think the ball joint stripped out the fork bridge so it was more like $600 for parts (fork bridge is $450 alone). Plus what ever else was damaged when it let go. Fender, telelever etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts