BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive found a bit of an issue when riding my 02 LTE. If I try to go hands off the bike ALWAYS goes to the right. I have a new set of tires (Avon Storm II fromt and rear ) at 42/46. It is not an extreme drop to the right but if your not careful lettting go will put you off the road to the right. It does NOT wobble or exhibit any other strange feelings just the lean to the right. I have no idea what to even look at to try to solve this issue but i have read some of the posts on the front end wobble but that does not happen to mine. In fact I dont have any wobble at all unless you account for the rubber mounted bars. any ideas what to look for and where to start? It sure would be nice when I remove my hands that it does not try to go off on its own....

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,553 Posts
What is in your right hand saddle bag? One loaded and one empty will do that. Oh and most roads do have a crown that will shift you right as well.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I know it may sound dumb, but, besides sidebags, if you are sitting more to one side (uneven cheekags) you'll also get her to "pull" that way. DAMHIK

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have had the exact same occurrence, only to a lesser degree, and to the left. A lot of times I will take both hands from the bars to snug up my gloves or my helmet strap or something....and the bike will feel like it's starting to lean left, and start drifting left. A small lean always corrects it, and I have never felt like it was 'darting' or anything or that I was not in control. For me, this has happened both with absolutely nothing in any of the luggage and with it in various states of 'full'. It also happens both with and without a passenger. Again....never a dangerous or severe pull....just a gradual inclination to head left. As soon as both hands go back on the bars it assumes a perfectly straight trajectory. Checked the tires and brakes, no uneven wear from side to side.
So far, I have just chalked it up as being another LT idiosyncrasy.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Not enought information, are you right or left handed????

Seriously, this may be part of the equation. My 02 pulls right and I am right handed.
Shall we start a survey?

We ride LT's so it's a known fact we are all a little "OFF" center.

I've always assumed it's the rotation of the in-line motor, or maybe just that ido----- thing???

·
Registered
683 Posts
I experienced the same thing with my XS1100, The GL1800, and my K1200LT, I find that if I shift my weight a little from one side to the other and back a couple of times, nothing radical enough to cause a wreck mind you, but enough to feel the bike steer a little to each side, I find the balance spot, and can pretty well sit there and the bike will go straight. Also like what has already been said, the crown of the road if pronounced will surely make the bike want to go off to the right if everything was perfectly balanced.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Drumbum said:
Ive found a bit of an issue when riding my 02 LTE. If I try to go hands off the bike ALWAYS goes to the right. I have a new set of tires (Avon Storm II fromt and rear ) at 42/46. It is not an extreme drop to the right but if your not careful lettting go will put you off the road to the right. It does NOT wobble or exhibit any other strange feelings just the lean to the right. I have no idea what to even look at to try to solve this issue but i have read some of the posts on the front end wobble but that does not happen to mine. In fact I dont have any wobble at all unless you account for the rubber mounted bars. any ideas what to look for and where to start? It sure would be nice when I remove my hands that it does not try to go off on its own....
1. The bigger portion of the gas tank is on the right side.......
2. all roads have a crown.....and we
3. normally drive on the right side of that crown....which slopes from the "top", off and down to the right.....bring in a bit of gravity....and voila'.....things tend to drift to the right. That's also why the left side of your tires show more wear......because they're contacting more of the "uphill" side of the roads crown.
That and
4. left hand turns are always longer to get around than right hand turns.....

Now, hit the road and ride and enjoy.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
I think Patterson pretty much covered most of them
except for the one cheek is bigger than the other theory,

but there's another issue that hasn't been mentioned,
probably because it's kind of a "private" issue,

my bike leans right also,
I always figured it was because
one of my testicles is a little larger and hangs lower than the other. :)

·
Premium Member
1,178 Posts
Another issue I have read about is the final drive is also on the right side. This adds how many pounds??

Roy

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Howdy:wave

Glad you brought this up. I was wondering the same thing.

Notice the same "slight right" when on the 05LT. When I'm on the 97 1100RT... it goes straight as an arrow.

Guess that rules out the theory of one of the Dyna-Balls is lower than the other. :histerica

Chris Ogle

·
Registered
220 Posts
Hows everybody hanging today?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
To the right thank you LT!

Mine doesn't stand a chance steering toward the left as, politically, I definitely lean right. It had better never, ever, lean toward the left or the relationship is over!

Don't forget that wonderful CD changer lurking in the right bag! That thing sure isn't a bag of peanuts back there you know.

Loren

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
cwo said:
Howdy:wave

Glad you brought this up. I was wondering the same thing.

Notice the same "slight right" when on the 05LT. When I'm on the 97 1100RT... it goes straight as an arrow.

Guess that rules out the theory of one of the Dyna-Balls is lower than the other. :histerica

Chris Ogle
RT riders complain a lot about PTTR (pull to the right) and there are a myriad of explanations including TADT :( My RT used to have severe PTTR then I did a slight fork alignment so the front axle would slide freely from side to side and it tracks straight now.

I am fairly new to my LT, but it seems to track very straight. I have the CD changer removed and have some stuff in the left saddle bag, but all seems good. :cool:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry I didnt get back sooner. It does not matter what road (or parking lot) or where I place my cheeks, it always pulls right. This is not a balance issue with person placement as im familiar with that over the last 30 years but this is an issue with the bike somewheres. Basically if you get to a parking lot and go hands off you should track strait unless YOUR off CG but it should track mine does not. Its not THAT big of deal to me as I dont really mess round on this bike but just ride long distances with it (my play bike is a spotbike and is much more of a big deal on it but it tracks great ;) I guess ill just have to live with it. Yes I pulled everything out of the bags and trunk and added enough weight to the left bag to balance the cd changer and still it goes hard right if hands off (hard right is a relative term as it isnt a sudden change but gradual and if not corrected will put you down on the right side if not careful). Anyways thanks for the replies all :)

·
Registered
860 Posts
Bad muffler bearing... Happens all the time...

It can also be because the side stand which is on the left causes the right side to experience biopolar lateral non-amplification... nasty stuff if you don't get it corrected...

Best way to correct it?

Get a BMW luxury tourer with more than 2 wheels... Personally, I think Hans has the right idea... But that Patterson guy has a very tasty argument...
:confused:

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
Dang, I shouldn't mention this when I don't have access to the shop manual (which I don't at the moment), butt I recall a procedure in the manual about caster/camber and wheel tracks as a method to make sure one's bike wheels are aligned properly. Doesn't take butt an itty-bitty off track alignment to make a big difference in ride direction. Fact, I think there is even supposed to be some built in off-track alignment/condition between the front wheel track and the rear wheel track. I'll do some digging for the manual and see if I'm hallucinating - stay tuned.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
I just changed Misty's front ball joint... those creepy little problems kinda went away...

I guess I properly tightened the Federeenystat.

While apart to replace the front shock... I found it loose...

Also, verified that the paralever is not messed up... moves smoothly and doesn't wiggle port/starboard.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Is the kanuter valve properly aligned with the wobble shaft?

·
Registered
137 Posts
cfell said:
I just changed Misty's front ball joint... those creepy little problems kinda went away...

I guess I properly tightened the Federeenystat.

While apart to replace the front shock... I found it loose...

Also, verified that the paralever is not messed up... moves smoothly and doesn't wiggle port/starboard.

How many miles do you have on the bike?
I was wondering about when mine might go.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts