BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
We left Port Canaveral on the Sovereign of the Seas on Friday evening 11/2/2007, check in was smooth, and painless. Lots of staff, but our staterooms were off limits until after 2:00PM.

Our cabin was on the second deck. From the blogs, I was not happy with our assignment to deck 2, but there was little or no smell when we actually arrived at our cabin.
The staff assured us that the stench issue had been addressed before we boarded...LIES!

The second deck appeared to be the problem area. By day 2, there were raw sewage smells, noxious, and vomit inducing. This ship has problems on the second deck, that have not been addressed

Lunch was on deck 11, it was ok. The food was fairly fresh, but the hot items were merely warm. Bread was stale at that point as well, so I knew what to expect for the rest of the cruise.

We set sail at 5:00PM from Port. Canaveral. Since there had just been a tropical storm, the seas were very rough. From my perspective, more that 1/3 of the passengers suffered from motion related illness. Myself and son included. I did not eat that night, and from my wife and 2 daughters (who are both graduate chef's from the CIA in Hyde Park NY) review, the food was atrocious. The lamb needed to be braised for 2-3 more hours, and the steak needed a hack saw to be cut. I was almost glad I was under the weather so I didn't have to experience this. As my oldest daughter indicated, the portion sizes were "very questionable". My wife's salad was wilted, and inedible. Ready to be tossed, rather than eaten.

The next day we arrived in Nassau Bahamas. I felt like I was arriving in a war zone in a 3rd world country. Abject poverty and obnoxious "people" hawking unneeded crap and chasing you down the streets. Not a whole lot of fun. Wandered around, but was underwhelmed.

The captain’s dinner that night was the best meal that we had the entire time. The dinner was actually edible. High praise after the night before. The wine list appeared to be ok, until we actually attempted to order. Then we found out that it was more for show, than actual consumption. "Not available" was the answer (after they had charged $108.00 on my sea pass!!)

We left Nassau and went to Coco Kay. Breakfast was cold, and poorly cooked. It sucked overall. They had plenty of tenders, and the island was ok. The swimming and snorkeling was fun, but the food absolutely sucked. They had potato salad in a large tub, sitting in full sunlight..(mayonaise anyone??) yeah, not my cup of tea for sure!

We headed back and arrived in Port Canaveral the next morning. I was very glad to be off the ship.

From my perspective, the top 3 activities on this cruise seemed to be drinking, gambling, and shopping (in Nassau screwing the poor vendors).

1. We do not drink
2. We do not gamble
3. I was appalled at the conditions in Nassau, and did not purchase anything.

Our experience was a 1.5 on a 5 scale (VERY Generous!).

This did not give us the enthusiasm to EVER book another cruise. The only reason that we went on this cruise, was that it was a group cruise that my wife had qualified for.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Which Cruise Line?

This is out of the norm for cruises.

Sorry you had the bad experience.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Sorry to hear of your bad experience. I've only been on one cruise, Princess Lines to Alaska 2 years ago and it was wonderful. I hope you and your family give it another try with another line in the future.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My wife and I went on a River Cruise from Prague to Berlin. They didn't bother to tell us that the river was too low for the Cruise Boat until we arrived in Prague. (The tour company had known this for weeks!) We spent much of the "cruise" ridding around in a bus. Busses suck. That was my first and last cruise.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pkpr1998 said:
Which Cruise Line?

This is out of the norm for cruises.

Sorry you had the bad experience.
royal caribbean

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bad Cruise Experience?

My wife and I have done about 8 crusies together and she has done an additonal 7 with her friends. Neither one of us has ever been dissatisfied with the food, service, or condition of the ships. There is a HUGE difference between Cruise Lines however. If you go on a discount cruise, expect discount food and service and less desirable ports of call.

Granted, it is not for everyone. But we have been pleased. You can't ride in Wisconsin in January or February, so we usally cruise.

Keith
"Life is too short to be taken seriously"

·
Registered
531 Posts
Personally, I can't imagine why anyone would want to go on a cruise ship.

My dad used to love em and took several.

I guess I'm a bonifide land lubber, I love looking at the sea...from the shore!!

I never could figure out how those squids took 4 yrs of service on a boat! And their conditions were much better than yours were from the sounds of it.

·
Old Dawg
3,281 Posts
mconlogue said:
royal caribbean
If you muster the courage to go again I would try Crystal, Seaborn or Silverseas. I can promise they will not disappoint

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
Any cruise taken with a younger woman is a good cruise!!!:histerica

1 - 9 of 9 Posts