BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone attempted to find a bag that can fit on the passenger seat between the rider and the top case? I never ride 2up so I thought a bag strapped behind might be better to reach than a bag on the tank. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
yeah I married her !!!!!! been hanging around ever since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had one of these bags for three years. Totally dry easy to attach and best of all cheaper than anyone else. They also come in 20L size.

40Lt dry bag from Lomo bag.

can be found on their web site at ewetsuits.com

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
yeah I married her !!!!!! been hanging around ever since.
Not bold enough to have said that out loud but the thought did cross my mind >:)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well if your're not lucky enough to have a permanent pillion for company and to lean into for a bit of comfort (yes, just a tad jealous Axel....), you may think about moving your topcase forward - a bit of mucking around to set it up but 30 minutes of your time and $7 worth of steel and a welder and you could be using the topcase to lean against whilst riding. I think from memory, l sent a picture to Axle showing him my set up- not one regret on a long trip for comfort and all l did was insert some rubber sheeting to fill in the gaps to stop the weather/water from getting onto the electrics. Supremely comfy and l never fitted it back to it's original position - until l sold it. Looked a bit odd but your're not looking at it whilst your're enjoying the extra comfort and having an extra 2 speakers right behind you.
Nick

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Has anyone attempted to find a bag that can fit on the passenger seat between the rider and the top case? I never ride 2up so I thought a bag strapped behind might be better to reach than a bag on the tank. Any thoughts?
Depends on what you want to put in it. I had a BMR luggage rack that mounted over the pillion seat for carrying just about anything and could be removed in about a minute (I sold mine after selling the LT, and they are hard to find now, as I don't think BMR has any remaining stock). During long tours, I strapped my Veskimo cooler on it as well as a Helen on Two Wheels case for extra stuff. I've never used a tank bag, and with the LT, just kept small stuff in the stingray, like a garage door opener, pens, chapstick, insurance/registration cards, etc. :bmw:

·
Registered
392 Posts
When I travel solo, I use a Coleman Cooler https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51RI0vrwxIL._SX300_.jpg

I usually have my Jetboil setup or some light camera gear in it. Very accessible to contents.
Thanks for this. I have been looking for something to put in front of the top case but didn't want to make anything permanent nor did I want something that looked expensive or looked like it was holding something expensive that could interest thieves. This looks like it will work fine, is inexpensive ($19), and it even comes in a grey color to blend with my bike. May have to figure out a way to strap it down but that shouldn't be too difficult.

Reactions: ProfSnape

·
Registered
261 Posts
Personally, I use one of the Walmart house brand -- Ozark Trail -- duffles on my pillion when travelling. I have a medium size one for short trips, and a large one for extended walkabouts.

Regardless of what you might be trying to fasten in that spot, Helen2Wheels makes an LT-specific packing strap kit which fastens to the bottom of the pillion seat pan. The web straps fasten to D-rings and keep anything -- and I do mean anything -- firmly in place.

When not in use, I roll up the big ends and stuff them in the space between the pillion saddle and the backrest -- that way they're always in place and ready for use.

Highly recommended.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Regardless of what you might be trying to fasten in that spot, Helen2Wheels makes an LT-specific packing strap kit which fastens to the bottom of the pillion seat pan. The web straps fasten to D-rings and keep anything -- and I do mean anything -- firmly in place.
I used the H2W stuff for years and had straps with the 2 plastic D rings. It loosened on a trip and my dry bag flipped over rubbing the tire. Coulda been bad. I previously found it loose but still in place. So I switched to ROK straps and love them.

·
Registered
343 Posts
+1 on the ROK straps. 8300 mile trip this summer with my sleeping bag tied to the top case rack with ROK straps. Never a worry.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
Now THAT'S funny!

·
Registered
680 Posts
What are you wanting access to? I just removed my radio/CB system from the stingray and now have all kinds of extra space available for stuff I want to easily get. (I use a bluetooth helmet to listen to stuff by my phone and wasn't using the stereo system. Next, I need to remove the CD player.)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Any good barrel bag that you consider the right size, and bungee cords. I dump all my contents into a big black yard leaf bag, wrap the excess around contents, put that inside the barrel bag, and don't worry about weather.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am taking my radio out this winter so I have the room in the stingray. I, too, plan on using a bluetooth set, the Sena 5. The bag is going to act like a backrest and storage for quick grab items.

What are you wanting access to? I just removed my radio/CB system from the stingray and now have all kinds of extra space available for stuff I want to easily get. (I use a bluetooth helmet to listen to stuff by my phone and wasn't using the stereo system. Next, I need to remove the CD player.)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts