BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I need to know what the difference is between the two boom mics that Baehr makes for the helmets? The K1200LT came with the full face helmet mics and I have the 3/4 face helmets with the flip up shield. Short of making these hover in front of me, I need to figure out which ones I do need.

I have seen some folks talk about different ones that were compatable with the Baehr systems, so is there a better choice? :confused:

I know it's gonna be great when the smoke clears!

Take care,
Jeff

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like I need two of the 170 mm then. Thanks for such a fast reply! Can you guys recommend a reputable dealer I can get a decent deal at? I also need one more of the rubber plugs for the headset plug and one of the black vinyl caps for the universal inputs if they are sold separately. I may be able to find something similar in an electronics supplier, I'll look this evening.
I can’t wait to get this thing going!
Thanks!
Jeff

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yep, as mentioned, the only difference is length. One has a boom length of 160mm, and the other is 170mm long. For 3/4 helmets, you'll likely need to longer (170mm) ones. RaffyK at Motogear4you recommended the 160mm booms for my flip-front(modular) helmets.

As far as I can tell, there's nothing special about the Baehr mics and speakers. In fact, having just recently installed the Baehr speakers and mics in two helmets, I can honestly say that I'm pretty disappointed with their sound quality. Asssumed when you spend the big bucks on a Baehr system, you'd get good speakers. However, mine are pretty inadequate for listeninig to music as they produce no low freq (bass) whatsoever. So everything sounds quite thin despite any sound adjustments (raising bass the way) that I make. And when speaking on the CB, others tell me that it sounds very "tinny", so it seems the mic might alos suffer from this same quality issue. I've read where others have used the J&M headsets (speakers and mics) with the Baehr system...and yet other who have installed aftermarket speakers (like from Sony and.or Radio Shack).

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Interesting. I purchased a bike last year that had a Baehr system already installed. My previous bike had a AutoCom unit on it with upgraded headsets. In my opinion, the Baehr sound quality is by far better than the AutoCom even with the upgraded headsets. JM2CW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts