BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need no stinkin’ certificate!

Problem: On Monday morning I found myself in Gillette, WY. Simone was in Cowan Lake State Park in OH.

Solution: Ride there in two days.

Monday, July 16, I started late, about 11am, and rode on I-90 to 14A (Spearfish Canyon) and since that road was quite slow, I decided to cut my visit this time through the Black Hills a bit short, so I tool US 385 to State 44 back to I-90, and then slab to Worthington, MN where I spent the night, by 7:30 am I was on the road. So far, the Orca and Nugget had performed flawlessly. By the time I got to Indiana, it began to bet a bit of a grind, about 7:00 pm local time, I had been on the road for about 10:30 hours on the road. When I started to feel shaking and I realized that the Nugget had blown a tire. I pulled over and with trepidation I placed the Orca on its side stand, because there was a pronounced camber on the shoulder. Gingerly, I dismounted and surveyed the situation.

I had a spare tire for the Nugget, but no jack. A call to AAA resulted in frustration because they do not help with trailers (thank you very much!). I was nearly blowing a gasket, when a State trooper went by in the westerly direction, he saw me and turned around. I explained to him the problem and my worries about the bike falling over. He lifted the Nugget without any problem so he suggested I take the nut off and replace the tire. While he was minding the bike, I took the single nut off, he came, lifted the trailer and I switched wheels. While I was tightening the nut, the Orca fell over, as I had feared, and broke the right hand mirror assembly, plus, all the contents of the tank bag spilled all over the grass. Before getting the bike back on its feet (so to speak) I turned on the ignition to make sure that the bike was in gear. The LEO was very helpful in getting the Orca back on its tires, I loaded everything else back, and mounted back on. When I tried to started, it would not. I had left the ignition on, and the battery had gone down enough so it would not start!

The trooper did not have jumper cables, but he radioed to find one that had some and within 20 minutes another trooper arrived, and the ritual was completed. The bike started, and I was on my own again. Soon enough I realized that the cruise control was not working, so I thought maybe the computer needs to be reset by disconnecting the battery. Finally I found a gas station in a seedy part of Indianapolis and gassed up. When I started the bike there were no brakes! So I removed the cover of the left sided reservoir, but there was some fluid. Perhaps, I thought, it needed more. The service station did not have Dot 4 fluid. I asked a customer if there were any auto parts store nearby, and I was told there was one a few blocks away. I decided that leaving the bike alone was not an option, so I started to drive, very slowly, when I realized that the brakes were working again, so without questioning why I resumed my trip. The cruise control was still out, but I could live without it. After about an hour of traveling on I-70 it was getting cold, so I stopped at a rest stop to put on the Gerbin jacket, when I noticed that the brake lights were on. I just then it occurred to me that the reason the cruise control was not working was because the brake pedal was bent, and the micro switch kept the cruise control from engaging. Sherlock Holmes would have figured it out sooner I am sure. I had no way in the dark to figure how I had to bent the brake lever back to its original shape, so after some vittles, I motored on. I did not get to my destination until 12:30 am.

I had plenty of time to ruminate on the happenings of the day, and my thoughts went from frustration and anger, to gratefulness. Grateful for the helping LEOs, that I was safe and sound, and that the only really bad parts were only material things, things that can be fixed or replaced. As I was covering the last part of the trip I thought I could, perhaps use JB Weld to make a temporary fix of the mirror, because I could not keep an eye (as I had been doing throughout this trip) on the Nugget.

Next day I went with Simone and my in-laws to an auto parts store and got a jack, some JB Weld, some Dot 4 fluid, and some red thread-locking goop. I had noticed it when I removed the wheel from the axle. That made sense to me since there is only one nut holding the wheel.

Last night I used the JB Weld, and today it seems as strong as it needs to be. So I have a right mirror again. I only need to figure out how to bend the brake pedal back to its original shape.

About the stinkin’ badge. I covered 1545 miles in about 38 hours. I have to say my butt was anything but iron after the first 36 hours! It could not have happened without a Rick Mayer seat and a BeadRider. Thanks Rick and Raffy!

I have not posted any reports about the trip because I was waiting for Dell and Doug’s adventure to end, so that all eyes and minds remained focused on such a worthy endeavor. Kudos to both of them!

I am rather behind in my journal because of technical difficulties getting the web site to work the way I want it. It is mostly a very steep learning curve, and since I have sporadic internet access, it makes it difficult to keep it up. Within the next week I should have it fairly up to date.:eek:

The web site is:
1 - 1 of 1 Posts