BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why did my RT1200 2010 with 11.000km not start on first go.

I left my bike covered in my garage sea front for 25 days . When I got back I had to turn over the starter for some time and move the gas throttle (open close open close) fast so to get fuel in the motor. Then she stated up as normal. All OK she starts up fine every time know.

Is this normal ?????

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
AQUN said:

I left my bike covered in my garage sea front for 25 days . When I got back I had to turn over the starter for some time and move the gas throttle (open close open close) fast so to get fuel in the motor. Then she stated up as normal. All OK she starts up fine every time know.

Is this normal ?????
The bike is fuel injected. Opening the throttle like that won't help, in fact could confuse the bikes computer.

Next time you leave it for that long be sure to keep it on a battery tender.

If it doesn't start the first time release the starter and try again. I've had to engage the starter a few times after a bike has been sitting or is very cold.

You can give it a TINY bit of throttle while turning it over but just a TINY bit and I only do this if it's really cold out.

You could have some bad gas or clogged injectors but that's not as likely...

·
Registered
205 Posts
AQUN said:

Is this normal ?????
When you turn the key on, give it 15 seconds or so to let it run through the diagnostic and boot routine before you push the start button. That also lets the fuel pump pressurize the system. 25 days is a pretty long time when you consider the clock and some computer systems need a little power 24x7 - leaving it on a battery tender of some kind is also a good idea.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I bought my 05 last spring, it sat for 2 yrs without being started with the original gas that came with it in 05. before that he started ocationally until the battery went dead. The original owner gave me a new bmw battery for it, I trailered it home, installed new battery, it fired up as if it ran the day before. I put air in tires and ran it 6 miles to the gas station, filled her up and has been running perfect for the 6000 miles I put on her since.

Your bike just may have had a brain fart or a slightly weak battery, I wouldn't worry one bit. Just for giggles put a volt meter on the battery while running and make sure you have 14+ volts.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My 2009 starts sloooowly on cold days. There are times I need to use the manual cold start procedure, found in your owners manual, which does in deed involve opening the throttle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts