BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 120 miles into a 160 mile round trip I started smelling oil burning. I was traveling on the interstate at about 85 mph and noticed the smell when I slowed down. Looked behind and saw a slight trace of white smoke. Continued on at a bit slower speed and the smoke got progressively worse. Made it home and smoke was coming from under the bike, not the tail pipe. Coming up the drive way I noticed oil dripping from the bottom of the bike and smoke pouring off the exhaust pipe and engine. Got the fire extinguisher but fortunately didn't need it. Shut her down and oil just constantly dripped out the lower part of the engine. I couldn't see where it was coming from as it was dark.

Took the lower plastic off and the exhaust pipes, front of the engine and under side of the engine are saturated in oil. It is predominately on the left side of the bike.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. There was no loss of power nor rise in temperature. 2003LT, 47,000 miles, oil change 1100 miles ago.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
If you can't easily see where its coming from, clean it up best you can, I'd use a few cans of electronic cleaner. First be sure its not going to damage your paint.

Be careful, some of that stuff is real flammable. The stuff that works best is.

Let it dry, fire it up and see where its coming from.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gunny. What a mess. Found the leak though. In the front of the engine there are two bolts that accept a 5mm hex just below the water hose. One of those little fellas is missing and the oil is coming out the vacant hole. Now I have no idea what I need to replace the missing bolt.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I think you're probably describing the hole that you put a pin in while fooling with the cams during a valve service...I don't have an LT anymore but remember that from doing the 48K valve service on mine... Probably easy to forget to tighten...

1 new bolt, A little loctite maybe ?

Problem solved...Glad it was an easy one and you didn't have a bad engine or something.

John

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all. Just need to wait for the dealer to open Tuesday. Looks like a filister head skrew. Who knew? Just need to figure out the length. My dealer will probably need to order the 95 cent part as is usually the case.

65 degrees and bright sun today - great day to have the pig on the center stand in the garage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts