BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It saddens my heart to announce that BARBRA will be posthumously retired.... :mad: As recent events unfolded it has been determined that the cost of a facelift will not be sufficient enough for her to continue service to another Generation...

Special Thanks to Gregg "grifscoots" as the Original owner... His holy "shit" highness Raffy as the major "farkle" contributor and (from what I know) two other owners.

She is now awaiting the dreaded "adjuster" next week. She gave it her all, both in the beginning, and well into her golden years. 163K on a third motor, 2 gearboxes, and a few odds an ends later she will cecum to the big parts bin (possibly) in the sky.

Even in her last hours, she stood stoakley in the field (She landed right side up on the center stand on a 45 degree side of an overpass)

In order to facilitate a better loading angle, I had to push her over and she rolled over twice getting to the bottom...

But showing resilience not shown by those that are younger. A supple touch was all that was needed to get her running again... (which helped loading her on the flatbed)

To the pending ambulance chasers (Yes, you that will flood my email with parts requests) please allow me to mourn my loss for a while (I.e- let me get the insurance issues settled, first!) :rotf:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
My good buddy Hoss didn't tell the whole story... At approximately 11:00 am, I am heading westbound on I-80, in a cage, and on my way to a meeting in Daly City (which is south of San Francisco).

About an hour and a half into my drive, it's about time to give up the rental on the morning coffee, so I exit the freeway to hit a restroom. As I am getting on the overpass, I see Hoss standing halfway down the embankment, with Barbara somehow upright, facing uphill, halfway down the embankment as well....

First thought involves the acronym, "WTF"?? On a 150 mile drive, it's a bit surprising to find one of your close friends having suffered a recent get-off on the very exit you choose to relieve yourself. Hoss is texting on his phone, so I figure he's alright... As I am waiting to make a u-turn (and being a buddy after all), I text him a messsage: "What, is that the best parking place you could find?" :D

I go back confirm he's OK, and yes, he has destroyed another jacket. Sad to see Barbara go. I've heard she was a really fast, really good ride! ;) Pretty much every piece of plastic was broken.

Hoss is one lucky mo-fo; second get-off in a month, and hardly any scratches! Missed being impaled on a guard rail by at least a full 2 feet... I hung out while they loaded the old girl on the truck, and then I took Hoss to Hertz to get a rental car. He's a soldier (well, Former Marine), and completed his mission: taking care of business in Benecia.

Any of you souvineer hunters can find bits and pieces of Barbara at the 1-80 Cordelia exit. Luckily, none of Hoss' skin!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Somehow I think Grif as in grifscoots (Barbara's original owner ) would like to tune in here on this thread. Where are you these days Grif?

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
I'll see that Grif gets this, Hoss. Glad you're majorly OK, although that's a rough looking left arm and elbow!

Ole Toad and moi racked up many wonderful miles with Grif and Sandy and Barbara - 3 CCRs and a ton of RTEs and Friday mornin' Kaffeee Klatches; not to mention a bunch of tech sessions at Grif's casa. Like Hoss, so sorry to see the old gal go. And maybe - just maybe - parts and parcels of her will be around to share some more wonderful adventures with a forum member, or twenty! Good luck on the insurance side, Hoss.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Glad that you came out on the winning end of that crash.
Sad to see the damage that Barbara sustained.
Find another bike and keep riding.
My sympathies and safe travels.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Dick and I were sitting in the Blanco Bowling alley enjoying breakfast the morning that Grif had his first get off with Barbara on hwy 32 (Devil's Backbone).

She has seen a lot over the years and any LT would be proud to carry one of her parts.

Glad you are OK Hoss.

Ron

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
Hoss... Sammie & I are glad your OK (mostly) After Hoss's lil get off at CCR we talked about Barbaras great lineage & all the great roads she has been on. Also the fact that I had rode her will before he ever knew her. :rolleyes:

RIP Barbara
She gave it her all. :(

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Hey, no time for mourning sucka, give up the parts! :p

Glad YOU are ok and we would like to extend our condolences to Barbara, she was courageous and she gave all, sometimes too much! :histerica

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Quite a story Hoss, glad you fared better than Barbara.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Sad to see any bike so banged and bashed. Glad you're ok. Can you tell us what happened?

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Well Hoss, there are other ways to get rid of a bike in order to get a new GTL...:eek:
Seriously, glad you are OK. Don't mind the parts buzzards: double your prices!:D
Glad also that you adhere to the ATGATT philosophy!:thumb:

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I'm sure Hoss will give us an eye-witness viewpoint later. As I mentioned above, I came in a short while after the fact by chance.

Here is what makes Hoss the luckiest mo-fo around:

1. Went OVER a curb, prior to going down an embankment, and didn't high side.
2. Missed a guard rail by two feet (those sudden stops are a bummer... don't ask how I know).
3. Second get-off in a month, and although two jackets are toast, all he has to show for it physically is a raspberry on his elbow (same spot) the size of two quarters.

Every piece of tupperware on poor Barbara is cracked. WARNING, if you're faint of heart, stop reading this NOW!! :eek:

Imagine a hard boiled egg that you have cracked all around, but haven't peeled... That's what Barbara looked like.

First and foremost, I am relieved that my friend is OK. Not only for his sake, but I personally am glad I didn't happen upon this scene and find much worse. Good friends are hard to come by... *sniffle* It really was close to being a lot worse.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Dang Hoss, Glad you are OK. I think that was amazing that she landed like she did. What a great bike she was and the stories she could tell. Maybe we need to have a memorial for her.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
hallzee said:
\ 3. Second get-off in a month, and although two jackets are toast, all he has to show for it physically is a raspberry on his elbow (same spot) the size of two quarters.

Sounds like it is time to get Motoport gear. They wll fix or replace and damage if I understand correctly.

And only a 7-8 hour drive from Daly city...

·
Registered
426 Posts
After reading all the posts, I'm wondering how many total miles were on the bike?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
grifscoots said:
She was a great bike! Lotsa blood, sweat and smiles. Its better to burn out than fade away!
Look who's still alive! Good to see ya Grif. :D

·
Registered
530 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Barbara had a sleepover at my house a while back on her trip out west - She got to stay in the bedroom. Grif slept in the garage. :D
:histerica :histerica

Ron....too funny! :rotf:

Hoss....it'll take alot more to keep a Marine down....Semper Fi! Glad to know a fellow warrior escaped harm with only a nick or two....close call, but either skill, divine intervention, or luck certainly rode with you my brother!

When I started to learn to ride horses (35 years ago) I was taught if the horse ever threw me to get up and dust myself off, grab the halter, and punch the horse right in the schnozz, and hop right back on! It appears you did this for one last ride even if it was onto the back of a sag-wagon....I'm betting you'll be riding again sometime in the near future!

Brian.....it is sure great to have friends like you! :)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts