BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All:
I just rolled the K1200LT out after its winter hibernation and immediately noticed something disturbing.
There was evidence of a leak - i.e. large dark, greasy stains - running down the right front fork and ending at the brake caliper. It appears that it may have migrated down the brake line hose. Unfortunately, I have not had the time to pull the bodywork off and check it out.
Does this sound familiar? Has anybody had the same thing happen? If so, how expensive/difficult was the fix??
Thanks in advance.
Sincerely
Jim

·
Registered
702 Posts
oxbowfarm38 said:
Greetings All:
I just rolled the K1200LT out after its winter hibernation and immediately noticed something disturbing.
There was evidence of a leak - i.e. large dark, greasy stains - running down the right front fork and ending at the brake caliper. It appears that it may have migrated down the brake line hose. Unfortunately, I have not had the time to pull the bodywork off and check it out.
Does this sound familiar? Has anybody had the same thing happen? If so, how expensive/difficult was the fix??
Thanks in advance.
Sincerely
Jim
Jim,

It isn't as bad as it looks....just the right fork seal leaking. I had the same thing last year & thought it was under warranty, NOT only 7500KLMs. Anyway to cut to the chase here is a link to 'How Too' http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8911 & another http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=937&highlight=fork+repair
I managed to get mine done without removing any tupperware. Just in case it's not in the link, when reinstalling the lower fork place a couple of pieces of dental floss into the fork & hold them while reinstalling the fork, this allows air to escape.

Good Luck

·
Registered
257 Posts
I had a left front fork seal leaking aprox 2yr. ago. Had it fixed at the dealer. The total cost was $128.00 parts & labor.

·
Registered
989 Posts
The only BAD LEAKS are from the drivetrain. Cool it, you got off easy: just a maintenance item.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Another view point. My 2000 wet it's right strut after a quick stop at about 45K miles. Just wiped it off and never changed the seal. Now at 72K with out any more leaks and only ERC slow speed quick stops, all is dry. Should be plenty of oil remaining to keep the strut lubricated. Just wipe down the rod, a few times a year.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts