BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has nothing to do with BMWs but bikes in general. There must be other guys out there who have concerns about helmet head.

Let me start by stating I am not a vain person by nature. I spend all of 5 minutes every morning primping. However I have very fine hair that looks OK when I leave the house. By the time I get 30 miles in any direction with my helmet on, my hair is pasted to my rather large noggin and there is no resurrecting it without washing it again. On weekends it’s not a problem as one of my vast collection of baseball caps does the trick. But I don’t ride to work “EVER” because of this. A buzz cut is out of the question for two reasons. I have the cranium of a Klingon and a huge scar that is not very pretty under my hair line.

So the question is, does anyone have any magic remedy for this dilemma? I can’t be the only one out there with this problem.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Try a helmet liner like Silk Skinz, or even a do-rag. It helps me, plus the liner soaks up most of the sweat so your helmet won't start stinking to high heaven.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Have you tried a nylon type helmet liner? I think they are called skins. I use one simply because it's a lot easier to wash the liner weekly ( I ride a lot and it's hot and sweaty) then to take out the liner and wash it. It also makes it easier to put the helmet on with sunglasses.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Doesn't matter what my hair looks like... Wife says she still loves me. :D

·
Registered
533 Posts
DaveDragon said:
I used to carry a hairbrush in the top case to rectify the HH when I arrive at the office.

I finally completely resolved the issue by shaving my head!

When God created man he made a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair. :D

·
Registered
710 Posts
Sliks helmet liners are another option :thumb:. I use them most of the time unless I am riding long days in hot sunny conditions. For those conditions I prefer a long tailed doo-rag like I am wearing in my signature picture. I tuck the tail under the collar of my mesh jacket and it keeps the sun off my neck.

·
Registered
220 Posts
rab1967 said:
When God created man he made a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair. :D
My head is getting more perfect all the time!

A very short haircut helps too. I tried wearing aviator sunglasses and holding my stomach in when I visited my Son at the Naval air station, but no one mistook me for the Admiral!

·
Registered
552 Posts
As per your quote, "Let me start by stating I am not a vain person by nature. I spend all of 5 minutes every morning primping."

5 minutes? My wife tell s me all the time I should look in the mirror but it just doesn't happen. So even a look in the mirror make you vain.

Ok, just having fun. The skins work well from what my mother in-law says.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Total problem. It's not the old lady I fear - it's the hotties at the office.
I have a brush at work, as well as some gel. Quick wet-down in the can, bit of gel, presto-molesto. Heck; nobody notices either way, but it makes me feel more presentable.
I'll second the short haircut comment, too.
Vain is my middle name.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
Quick spray and a couple of brush strokes.
I think the hotties will notice my belly before they see my hair anyway...!:rolleyes:
I commute to work on the bike daily, and that makes me HOT! :histerica

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Still get the "ridge" down the middle. :rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Sliks helmet liners cut down on the air that flows thru your helmet. In hot weather, I'll take the air flow so I've stopped wearing the Sliks. If the helmet starts to become "rank" later this summer, I'll replace all the pads. Helmet hair is fixed with a baseball cap, but I don't have to show up at work.

- Bob

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Seems to me the solution is easy - GET A NEW JOB!!!! Where helmet hair is acceptable, of course.... Actually if a buzz cut is too short, why not go a bit longer to cover the scar? My hair is short enough to not be mussed by helmet, yet covers all the lumps pretty well. Just a thought.

Good luck. Something I never really considered.
Randy

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
bob_menton said:
If the helmet starts to become "rank" later this summer, I'll replace all the pads.
- Bob
I regularly wash the pads and I also use "Helmet Fresh". I sure don't want to be known as the guy with a stinky hair at work.:eek: :D

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
As others have noted, the Silks helmet liners can be a big help. My hair is wavy and at times not easy to manage. The Silks actually helps on those bad hair days by flattening out the unruly areas. They also cut down on helmet itch. Buy two and swap them out now and then for freshness.

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,245 Posts
No liner not matter who the manufacture is can help my hair. I just deal with the comments and move on. :)
My wonderful personality far exceeds the bad hair. :rotf:

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
If you have ears the size of mine the skins are beneficial as well for getting my helmet on smoothly over them. Beyond that, I carry a folding cap in my jacket pocket so I don't scare little children when I take my helmet off.

Denny

·
Registered
192 Posts
tonygret said:
Let me start by stating I am not a vain person by nature. I spend all of 5 minutes every morning primping.
Five minutes!!!!!

My most beautimous wife doesn't need 5 minutes to apply her make-up.

What's up with all that?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts