BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bad Day at Dealer updating throttle cables!! Lesson learned.

I got up at 4 am and trailered my 00LT, 200 miles to Miller BMW in Tallahassee for appointment to have my frayed throttle cables updated to latest cables.

I had called last week and spoke with Dusty to be sure they understood I wanted latest cables and mention 05 cables. He gave me the short "we do this all the time, we know blah blah".

I called yesterday to be sure all cables etc. in and they said yes.

Well long story short, got back bike that:
1.They put on old style cables.
2. My cruise not working.
3. My Motolights don't work now.
4. They even screwed up the rubber around gas cap so lid doesn't stay up.
5. They were proud to tell me how they adjusted all the play out of my throttle. ( 1st clue why cruise not working huh)

Unbelievable.

Thanks to info learned here I adjusted cables till cruise started working again and know how to fix rubber around gas cap from info here also.

I'll have to remove left panel to track down what they did to my Motolights tomorrow.

What a day.
I learned the lesson to just do it yourself with the help and info from this site if you want it done right.

Thank you all for the info you share.

·
Registered
141 Posts
HArd lesson learned. I feel the same way about dealers and the lack of quality work. I do 99% of my work on my bikes just to keep from going through what you went through.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
What a bummer, all too often the quality of work done by others is sub-par to what you can do myself. This issue has happened all too often and has made me a prudent DO-IT-YOUR-SELFER.

Purchased my 00 LT at 8K miles in 2003, Now at 35K.
Needless to say it has NEVER been back to the shop period !! ... Motivation is the key to just diving in and doing it yourself :yeah:

As for the shops screw up NOT giving you what you asked and paid for ... make them do it again on their dime, if not .... :eek:

·
Registered
855 Posts
I can understand your frustration, but I have dealt with Dusty in the past & found him to be a reasonable businessman. That leads me to a couple of questions............

Since the new cables require an additional opening in the handlebar covers & different ends at the grip, they are easy to identify. Did you look at them when you picked up the bike, & did you mention the difference to Dusty? If so, what was his response?

Did you check any of the other problems before leaving, & mention them to Dusty, or have you talked to him since you found the problems? Again, what was his response?

I'm not picking on you, but your post is a little rough on one of the better dealers in the area. He may deserve it, but I would like to know how he responded to your problems with his service.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Why would they have put on the old style cables? Oh, I know. They probably had them "in stock" and couldn't return them to BMWNA. Better your loss than theirs.

·
Registered
558 Posts
My dealer tried to get the old style and couldn't. They took a little time but did wind up getting the 06 cables. The only thing they messed up was not hooking the gas gauge back up but they fixed that quickly. In my dealer's defense they said that they had not done any yet so it was a bit of a learning experience for them.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
That is why I have always done just about everything (non warranty) to all my cars, boats, motorcycles, lawn mowers, homes, etc. At least I know what is being done, and if anything comes out wrong I can blame myself. That way I don't get incensed about it, and if I feel bad enough just re-do it. When someone that is being paid to be trained and knowledgeable screws up I get mad.

I sure learn a lot doing it myself, some of it the hard way. Then that knowledge is there for "next time". There is very little I won't tackle. I really like being mostly self sufficient. There are times though that I will let a professional do something, and can really appreciate when they really do well, and I then learn from watching.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jinks said:
I can understand your frustration, but I have dealt with Dusty in the past & found him to be a reasonable businessman. That leads me to a couple of questions............

Since the new cables require an additional opening in the handlebar covers & different ends at the grip, they are easy to identify. Did you look at them when you picked up the bike, & did you mention the difference to Dusty? If so, what was his response?

Did you check any of the other problems before leaving, & mention them to Dusty, or have you talked to him since you found the problems? Again, what was his response?

I'm not picking on you, but your post is a little rough on one of the better dealers in the area. He may deserve it, but I would like to know how he responded to your problems with his service.
It was pouring down rain when I picked up bike and they had left it outside under small awning therefore my Russell seat was getting a bit wet and I loaded it as quickly as I could.
I then went inside paid and asked mechanic if he got to test cruise control to be sure it was working and he said ....uuuh uuuuh I heard it click so I know it is working.
Then Dusty walks by and says to mechanic "Did you tell him about play in right grip. We adjusted it for you because it had some play in it."

Well I drove off a few blocks before I thought about not looking at throttle cables so I pulled over expecting to see new style. To my surprise they looked just like the ones before.

So I turn around in the rain , return and go in and ask Dusty why I don't have the lastest cables. His response was "Those are the updated cables".
When I mention the newer style he said you couldn't put those on without removing right grip".

So I left with my head spinning and a 3 hr drive back home. I wondered if all my trottle info searching here had made me get something wrong.

On the way home (200 miles) I started thinking about things to check.
After eat stop I decide to check moto-lites. Not working.

I get home. Unload bike and test ride. Cruise control won't work.
Throttle has not one bit of play in closed position. So cruise can't work.(info I learned here and is in service manual CD I believe).

I adjust to work.

Checked rubber around gas cap because I had learned here and had fixed mine once before. Sure enough, rubber not right and meshing up lid.

I have not talked to Dusty since making it home but for sure I will.
I'm just not sure I would ever let them touch my bike again.

I have been to that dealer 4 or 5 times before and purchased something everytime (jacket, battery, parts,) all things I could have aquired cheaper over the internet but thought I would support my nearest dealer.

So jinks I feel I have not been undue hard on a dealer that gave me this experience.

I will post more as happens.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I learned a long time ago it's less expensive to do things yourself, even when you have to buy special tools..... more importantly, you don't have all those repeat trips to the dealer to get it done over again.

I ended up taking my bike to two different dealers to get the timing chain cover oil leak fixed under warranty. The first dealer though that "dabbing silicone" on the outside of the case was a professional repair... and when I complained to BMW, you wouldn't believe the lies he told BMW about why it was done that way.

·
Premium Member
783 Posts
Throttle cable install

When I mention the newer style he said you couldn't put those on without removing right grip".
I installed the new style cables on mine without removing the right grip. I must know a secret they don't!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Update 1:
1.Found where Moto-lites harness had been pulled apart under front forks.
I have fixed. (no big deal)

2. Found the left black tip-over cover not on right. Had tabs sticking out over chrome piece. (just sloppy work)
I have fixed

3. Found padding that goes between upper and lower right panel at chin just sticking to surface of right panel 5 inches from where it goes. (???????)
I have fixed

4. I fixed rubber around gas cap and lid. (just sloppy work)

I'm afraid I'll find more this afternoon when I go for ride.

My garage became my home office so I don't have the greatest place to work on it but I do have a covered back poarch, Paul Sayegh 4 DVDs, tools and the wonderful collective wisdom of this site.

What was I thinking?
Repeat to myself: do it myself, do it myself, ask questions here and answers will come, do it myself.

I knew this was the favorite dealer of some of you here but felt I must detail my "updated cables" experience for the record.

If others plan to have them put on the latest updated cables please be warned and maybe mention that you'd like a little play in throttle so cruise control will work. (they don't know this bit of info or that newest cables can be installed without removing grip)

I always try to see the humor in life about everything and will for sure get a few chuckles to myself about this whole dealer experience overtime.
"Lesson learned" and "what goes around,comes around."

Off to ride now....

·
Registered
855 Posts
***** said:
So jinks I feel I have not been undue hard on a dealer that gave me this experience.

I will post more as happens.
****, I've read the rest of your posts up to this time, & I agree with you. I'm surprised at Dusty's answer to your question about the cables, but only slightly. If I were in your position, I'd give Dusty a call & politely relate your entire experience to him. He may have a problem employee that he could use some feedback about. I'd be interested in his response.

On a better note, I'm in total agreement with your decision to do your own maintenance, & Dave's philosophy about service on any vehicle/machine. I do all mine (including the cable upgrade), & avoid Daytona BMW as much as possible. While I'll buy parts from 'em if I need 'em fast, I even take that business online if I have the time. Too bad others don't vote with their wallets when given substandard service. Might result in better service for us all.

Glad the corrections weren't too difficult, & let us know what Dusty has to say about the problems.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Bad day at dealer

It's all about choices, isn't it?
When I started lurking on this forum in the fall of 04 and purchased my LT in May, 05, I was ecstatic about the wealth of information and availability of knowledge manifested within the forum and from individuals like David Shealey. During the ensuing months I have compiled four, three-ring binders of printed information about the LT (I have a charcoal-colored 05 LT). Dealers have threatened loss of warranty when one performs the maintenance, etc. other than actual warranty-related work. All one has to do is perform the work correctly and keep records of what, when, and receipts traceable to the work and the warranty is intact if one doesn't screw up. And, like David said, "if anything comes out wrong, I can blame myself." Besides, there's something to be said about the value of learning from mistakes!
Irrespective of what the dealer service department has to say or does for or to the customer, there is the additional benefit of expanded 'ownership' which develops from getting involved. When one must rely on the paid professional to perform work, the owner experience is invaluable when interracting with the trained professional.
It's also a matter of pride and comfort acquired from the learning experience and the "rush" felt during the "chase" of figuring out what makes the beast tick. Kudos to all of you who are inclined to help yourself and for sharing your information with the rest of us!

Terry

·
Registered
142 Posts
Fla dealers

One thing I have learned from this site already is stay away from BMW dealers in Fla.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DaveDragon said:
I have never had an Issue with the quality of workmanship at Miller BMW.
Sorry to hear you did.
Dave when I was trying to decide between Millers or Bogarts in B'ham it was the nice things you had to say about them in past post that partly made me go with them. Didn't they do your cables? Did you get old style or new style?

I too am sorry it turned out that way and hope you have continued good luck.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update 2:
I called Dusty and told him I wanted him to know my cruise control wasn't working when I got home but that I adjusted cables so play was back and got it working.

When I also said that the new style cables could be installed without removing grip he went into "We do this everyday for a living and I don't care what the internet says, you can't. "

For the record I have never mentioned internet in any conversation with Dusty.

So I bid him good-day and hung up. Not wasting any more time on dealers with issues and attitudes.

Now on the lighter side....
I first felt the throttle cable sticking and fraying as I was riding with several friends on their Harleys in the sea of bikes at Destination Daytona.

We rib each other all the time about our bike choices. So...

I hate to think about the grief they would have given me if I had to call a tow truck to get my BMW in the middle of thousands of Harleys at Daytona. Too close.

·
Registered
303 Posts
bad cable story

I purchased my 00LT in may o6 with tight cable.Guy I purchased bike from
had been carrying cable around in rear trunk and he told me it was an old
style cable and not to use.I took to dealer in Louisville and explained that
I wanted new style cable.I also had 24k service done at this time as plastic
would be off also had fuel gauge stoping at 1/4.Picked bike up and they showed me sending unit with dent in it and they did not know what caused dent.I paid my bill and rode home and then read they had installed cable in rear box and then 3k later fuel gauge quit again.I found this site and found
how common the gauge issue is.My vapor vent hose was blocked.I called
dealer and their going to replaced sender.I didn't even complain about cable
and if they would have given me sender, I would install it myself.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
ferggie said:
One thing I have learned from this site already is stay away from BMW dealers in Fla.
this is the first real complaint I heard from Millers, and I have not heard one from Haps in Sarasota either.

I know 3 in FL. I will stay away from and trailer my bike even at my own expense back to BMW of atlanta if need ever arises, I trust them (BMW of Atlanta)with my bikes and Yes I'm pretty paticular when it comes to my bikes.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
not if your in Savannah, I'm in the mountains east of Dahlonega Ga

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.