BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a used back up for my new (used) 2009 LT. It was sent without any paperwork at all which is no big deal because installation is so simple. My question is.this, after installation the upright part of the backrest really smashes into the rider seat. Is this proper?? It looks like it could do damage after a while.

David

·
Registered
159 Posts
David,
I just bought a used one two weeks ago and had the same issue. The P.O. had the height set to match the low position on the L.T. seat. I raised the backrest to its highest position and resolved the issue.
(Pull up the cover on the support and you will find two bolts through a slot. Loosen them up and raise the backrest. Voila - should clear the seat)

·
Registered
590 Posts
My Utopia has a high-low height adjustment without tools. That feature was designed specifically for the LT.

Oh, and it's less expensive than the Backup.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not explaining this very well. My concern is with the frame of the backrest. I don't have an issue with the adjustable part. The frame pushes against the passenger seat enough to scrunch it a little. I'm wondering how this will wear over time.

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Howdy:wave

Had the same issue when I installed the backrest on my 05, and was worried that it may damage the seat. After a couple of weeks, it settles in, and hasn't been a problem on mine.

hope this helps.

Chris Ogle

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,934 Posts
Mine came with two, 1 inch, standoffs (along with longer bolts) that went under the mount. Raises it up so that part of the frame is over the rear seat.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
It does eventually adjust itself. The seat foam will compress and all is well (on my RT I had a custom seat built and had them carve a little foam away for peace of mind). I would advise you make sure the booty over the bracket is properly covering everything. There are some fairly sharp edges on the bracket. In fact my vinyl booty needs to be replaced, it has sacrificed itself to protect my seat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts