BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
'21 R1250RT
293 Posts
I have a brand new, never installed or used Utopia back rest for sale. I just picked up my new to me 2019 R1250RT and it came with a back rest that the guy never installed and I have decided I don't want it. I am asking just A$175. I am Adelaide, South Australia
PM sent.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Product Camera lens Reflex camera Bag Luggage and bags
Hood Comfort Automotive tire Tints and shades Automotive exterior
Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle
I was looking at the same thing. It appears the sargent passenger seat is an oem seat chassis with addl holes drilled for the rider seat rest bracket. If you wouldn't mind snapping a pic of them together that would be awesome. I would really like the sargent back rest as it looks like it is so much more flexible.
The purple is the sargent seat . First picture seats top view. Second picture seats backside. Third is backrest with oem passenger seat. Fouth is sargent passenger seat with backrest. The seat angle is about the same but the sargen is thicker at the front.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200RT, 2017 BMW R1200GSA
17 Posts
Here are pics of the brackets for the sargent backrest. First with oem passenger.
Wow - thanks for posting that, very helpful and interesting. Moves me a step forward towards getting the Sargent back rest for my OEM seat config.

Some questions:
From your photos, it looks like the Sargent seat pan is in fact not a BMW OEM pan (someone I think suggested it was?). Very similar but not identical, at least the two you show pictures of. Correct?

Just to be clear: from your picture it seems you have NOT actually attached the Sargent backrest to the OEM seat, otherwise there should be holes in the pan, as in the Sargent seat. You show one of the two brackets on the OEM seat and one on the Sargent seat (purple), I assume just to show where it would go. Please correct if any of this is wrong. I marked up one of your photos for clarity:

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Yellow Camera lens

From the Sargent website I found the installation instructions, and it seems very straight-forward: Four Allen/Hex cap screws pass through the backrest, through the seat pan and thread into the brackets - very simple. Only problem is that the OEM seat does not have the holes for these bolts to pass through.
Product Automotive lighting Human body Gesture Line

Assuming I understand correctly, it seems that for the OEM seat, you could use the backrest as a template to mark out location for the holes in the OEM pan, then drill holes, and your are good to go. Agree?

The main concern I have is structural: When you rest your back on the backrest, it puts a force on the backrest frame that wants to pull it away from the attachment point at the passenger seat. That force is countered by the screws and in turn the backing plate and seat pan. Do you think there is anything structurally different in the Sargent seat pan to accommodate the backrest other than the holes for the screws, or is there some type of internal bracing or structural modification inside the pan that is related to managing the forces generated by the backrest? May be impossible to tell by casual inspection, but curious if you noted anything.

Thanks again - this is very helpful.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The main concern I have is structural: When you rest your back on the backrest, it puts a force on the backrest frame that wants to pull it away from the attachment point at the passenger seat. That force is countered by the screws and in turn the backing plate and seat pan. Do you think there is anything structurally different in the Sargent seat pan to accommodate the backrest other than the holes for the screws, or is there some type of internal bracing or structural modification inside the pan that is related to managing the forces generated by the backrest? May be impossible to tell by casual inspection, but curious if you noted anything.

Thanks again - this is very helpful.
[/QUOTE]

At the mounting point on both seats the thickness of the casting and design is the same. The main difference is that Sargent uses the passenger seat for tools. Unless the stock seat pan is of lesser grade plastic it would seem to be ok. Also the backrest pushes against the angled seat upholstery so not all stress is on the bolts. I may just drill holes in my stock seat pan and try it out.

Gary

·
Registered
17 Posts
I decided to email Sargent and ask them about it - and their response, aside from the typical "we cannot be held liable" stuff, sealed my opinion - OEM seat can be modified to work with the backrest by drilling the holes. Here is Sargent's reply:

HI Jim!

While I can see trying this on an OEM pan, other than the material difference between the OEM and Sargent seat pan, our seat isn't different in this area, I must inform you we cannot be held responsible for any alterations or damages you do to your OEM seat in trying this. We have not created instructions for this process to be mounted to the OEM pan. Please do keep in mind that the locking nut plates circled in the photo below must be used. These are the re-enforcement to help distribute the weigh across a broader area of the pan.

Hope this helps.

The locking plate nuts she refers to are the nuts welded to the metal plate, which come with the backrest. I have ordered the backrest - I will post some pictures when I do the install on the OEM passenger seat. .

Jim

·
Registered
107 Posts
I decided to email Sargent and ask them about it - and their response, aside from the typical "we cannot be held liable" stuff, sealed my opinion - OEM seat can be modified to work with the backrest by drilling the holes. Here is Sargent's reply:

HI Jim!

While I can see trying this on an OEM pan, other than the material difference between the OEM and Sargent seat pan, our seat isn't different in this area, I must inform you we cannot be held responsible for any alterations or damages you do to your OEM seat in trying this. We have not created instructions for this process to be mounted to the OEM pan. Please do keep in mind that the locking nut plates circled in the photo below must be used. These are the re-enforcement to help distribute the weigh across a broader area of the pan.

Hope this helps.

The locking plate nuts she refers to are the nuts welded to the metal plate, which come with the backrest. I have ordered the backrest - I will post some pictures when I do the install on the OEM passenger seat. .

Jim
Jim
i am sure this will work. Also the stock seat is a little lower in front giving you more adjustability. When drilling the hole slightly ease each side of the hole.

I am Not sure why the third hole in the center. Maybe a bolt just to hold the backing plates so you do not have to remove the seat to remove or install the backrest.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Got this note in the email receipt from Sargent:

"Thank you so much for your order! Currently, we have about a 2-3 week turnaround time due to supplier issues! "

I was hoping the backrest would arrive in time for my planned trip end of the month. Another "supply chain" story. The world is still a long ways from "normal"

21 - 31 of 31 Posts