BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone make a backrest to fit a 2014-2021 RT. I am interested in a low profile type that fits close to the seat and one that can be used with the stock seat. My RT is a 2021

·
Registered
124 Posts
I put the Utopia on mine.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There’s a brand called bakup. I recently bought this for a 4K mile trip and it worked beautifully.

They offer first responder and military discounts.
Does this articulate for custom positioning? I cant tell from the pics on their site.

The Sargent looks very adjustable, but interferes with the pillion. I don't ride 2up, but use the back seat for luggage and fear the Sargent would interfere...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes this system will articulate forward and back but not up and down. I use the passenger seat in the same manner you stated. Granted this item is a little pricey I can say with confidence I am satisfied.
Nice bike and good to hear that you enjoy the back rest. I'd be interested to know the brand of crash bars you have as well as the foot pegs on them and the cup holder. Thanks, Wayne

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes this system will articulate forward and back but not up and down. I use the passenger seat in the same manner you stated. Granted this item is a little pricey I can say with confidence I am satisfied.
Sweet, I just got the Ilium hand bar risers, like it looks that you have. Once I get them on to see how it changes my riding position I may go the same route as you on the backrest. Interesting thing also is that the Givi 58L sits a little futher back than the oem case. It makes plenty of room for the 600L dry bag. I dont think the back rest will interfere w the dry bag regardless of the setting.
Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting
Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Wheel Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200RT, 2017 BMW R1200GSA
17 Posts
I had the Bakup USA backrest on my '08 RT and I also used the passenger seat to strap a drybag. After many trips, I discovered that the backrest had rubbed through the waterproofing on the drybag. Was easy to repair, but after that I started putting a piece of fabric between the drybag and the backrest. Just something to consider. Loved the backrest - looking to put one on my current ride, a '16 RT, and was searching to see if there were any new options, which is how I ended up here. I like the adjustablility apparent with the Sargent design, but it requires a Sargent seat, which I do not have. Expensive, but I guess I'm going to have to go with another Bakup USA backrest.

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT LE
36 Posts
Nice bike and good to hear that you enjoy the back rest. I'd be interested to know the brand of crash bars you have as well as the foot pegs on them and the cup holder. Thanks, Wayne
The cup holder is from https://ciro3d.com/collections/drink-holders and it is the larger one. It fits a 30oz Rtic tumbler nicely. The pegs and bars are all from Ilium Works.

·
Registered
363 Posts
OMG our bikes are almost twins lol. :sneaky::rolleyes:(y)
Cloud Tire Wheel Vehicle Window

Reactions: PhantomBlade

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Does this articulate for custom positioning? I cant tell from the pics on their site.

The Sargent looks very adjustable, but interferes with the pillion. I don't ride 2up, but use the back seat for luggage and fear the Sargent would interfere...
I too would like to find a nice semi-cheap backrest....On long trips I use the dry bag that I store on passenger seat as a cheap backrest.
I like the Sargent backrest but the problem I have with it is that it attaches to the rear seat so you have to buy both front and rear seat along with the backrest, it'll cost around $13-1400.....a little rich for an old retired fart

Reactions: jmcwhirter

·
Registered
53 Posts
I too would like to find a nice semi-cheap backrest....On long trips I use the dry bag that I store on passenger seat as a cheap backrest.
I like the Sargent backrest but the problem I have with it is that it attaches to the rear seat so you have to buy both front and rear seat along with the backrest, it'll cost around $13-1400.....a little rich for an old retired fart
Yeah I've done the same, but its never been that comfortable. I ride daily 50-100 miles, just enough not to really need support as those miles are broken up with 5-6 stops. When I do ride long trips its kinda nice to have some lumpy back support via the bag on the pillion.

I just put on some Illium risers that I didnt really need either and I cant believe how much more comfortable I am at the end of the day. Definitely going to get a back rest. Im still considering the Sargent, are you sure the rider backrest requires both back rests?

·
Registered
363 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Yeah I've done the same, but its never been that comfortable. I ride daily 50-100 miles, just enough not to really need support as those miles are broken up with 5-6 stops. When I do ride long trips its kinda nice to have some lumpy back support via the bag on the pillion.

I just put on some Illium risers that I didnt really need either and I cant believe how much more comfortable I am at the end of the day. Definitely going to get a back rest. Im still considering the Sargent, are you sure the rider backrest requires both back rests?
per Sargent web site.....

The Front EM-5 Driver's Backrest mounts to the front of the Sargent rear seat. Not compatible with the OEM seats.

Don't know if the rear seat only method would work but why would you spend $350 on a seat that no one will sit on.

·
Registered
53 Posts
per Sargent web site.....

The Front EM-5 Driver's Backrest mounts to the front of the Sargent rear seat. Not compatible with the OEM seats.

Don't know if the rear seat only method would work but why would you spend $350 on a seat that no one will sit on.
Ah, didn't realize that. No doesnt seem like a way to go for me.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have the sargent passenger seat, the oem passenger seat and the sargent backrest. i checked both seats with the em-5. It appears the mounting areas of the seats are identical. All you would need to do is drill mounting holes in the oem passenger seat and then the sargent backrest would fit. This i would think sargent could verify.
if someone is really interested i could trial mount it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have the sargent passenger seat, the oem passenger seat and the sargent backrest. i checked both seats with the em-5. It appears the mounting areas of the seats are identical. All you would need to do is drill mounting holes in the oem passenger seat and then the sargent backrest would fit. This i would think sargent could verify.
if someone is really interested i could trial mount it.
I was looking at the same thing. It appears the sargent passenger seat is an oem seat chassis with addl holes drilled for the rider seat rest bracket. If you wouldn't mind snapping a pic of them together that would be awesome. I would really like the sargent back rest as it looks like it is so much more flexible.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a brand new, never installed or used Utopia back rest for sale. I just picked up my new to me 2019 R1250RT and it came with a back rest that the guy never installed and I have decided I don't want it. I am asking just A$175. I am Adelaide, South Australia

1 - 20 of 31 Posts