BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone found anything that will fix cracks in the fabric (vinyl) on the backrest on the top case. Mine has cracks and I was wondering if maybe plasti cote or any other vinyl repair would help.

·
Registered
194 Posts
There is a Permatex Super Clear vynil repair kit found at Advance and other. Save your money- it is worthless. I am not aware of anything like what you want that will work.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I've used Plasti-dip and liquid electrical tape. I think they are about the same thing. The fix wasn't perfect by any means, but it closed up the cut/tear and lasted quite a while before needing to be touched up again.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
get it replaced from a wrecked bike off ebay, or take it to a seat recovery shop in your area, they might be able to find a really close match to what you have. It would certainly look better and hold up longer than trying to use some kind of liquid filler.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
If you go to an "auto trimmer" supply house you should be able to find a piece of vinyl VERY similar to what BMW uses. You'll have a large selection to chose from that a local shop would not typically inventory. Take that piece to any local upholstery shop along with your old piece already removed and ask them to duplicate it - very easy for them to do. You could probably save a lot of $$ in labor by taking the old cover off - then re-stapling the new cover with an inexpensive electric staple gun.

Clean the mounting bolts off with a wire brush FIRST (or gently heat with a torch) before re-assembly to get the old loctite off the bolts - or you'll strip the nuts out of the back rest in a heartbeat. Why BMW used loctite there is absolutely silly. :rolleyes:

Make SURE to not over tighten the four bolts that hold the backrest to the top case.

·
Registered
52 Posts
How about a free replacement? I was recently given a backrest and seat free of charge from another member on here...I don't need the backrest, so shoot me an email and I will send you the backrest free of charge...just passing along the good deed given to me!

my email is [email protected]

robert

·
Registered
513 Posts
Gawd i love this place!!!! :clapping: :yeah: :yeah:

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Robert1965 said:
How about a free replacement? I was recently given a backrest and seat free of charge from another member on here...I don't need the backrest, so shoot me an email and I will send you the backrest free of charge...just passing along the good deed given to me!

my email is [email protected]

robert
Free is good! Nothing like paying it forward.

Good on 'ya dood. :bike:

We need more folks like you on this forum to keep 'em hummin. :bmw:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Still waiting to hear from Diolach... need his address to send the backrest to him...if anyone knows him and he hasn't seen my response, let him know I have it.

robert

1 - 9 of 9 Posts