BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Hello ALL!

I am a 1st day Newbie with my "new" 2002 LT.

i am also having an 'issue'

i read about reverse and after experimenting i have it figured out. here's the kicker. i'm overweight (6' and 280). 30" inseam.

i'm laying it down when i try turning it and backing it up (in garage-no damage except to my ego and knee once.

how do you prevent laying it over (and it takes my wife and me to lift it.) i'd hate to think what i'm going to do when i am on the road and stopped and this happens.

so i'm being proactive! walking it backwards on level or downward sloped ground must be a talent i don't currently have.

assistance requesated of all you experienced guys/gals!

thanks

My Camel (Mike Hammel)

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,460 Posts
Hi, Mike - welcome to the site.

I'm prolly reading your post wrong, so lemme ax how you're reversing the LT. Are you in the saddle, with both feet touching ground? And ground is a good surface for boot grip?

There may be some folks who are successful in reversing the LT by walking along side it - not me; I'm always in the saddle while reversing. May require baby steps in some situations, but usually a smooth dance up a sloping driveway into my garage. Hope you are able to conquer this feature, Mike. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,850 Posts
mycamel said:
Well Hello ALL!

I am a 1st day Newbie with my "new" 2002 LT.

i am also having an 'issue'

i read about reverse and after experimenting i have it figured out. here's the kicker. i'm overweight (6' and 280). 30" inseam.

i'm laying it down when i try turning it and backing it up (in garage-no damage except to my ego and knee once.

how do you prevent laying it over (and it takes my wife and me to lift it.) i'd hate to think what i'm going to do when i am on the road and stopped and this happens.

so i'm being proactive! walking it backwards on level or downward sloped ground must be a talent i don't currently have.

assistance requesated of all you experienced guys/gals!

thanks

My Camel (Mike Hammel)
I am not exactly sure what you are describing, but I am assuming you mean you have trouble keep the bike upright when you are using the reverse gear and trying to turn while you are backing up.

The main thing to do to keep your balance, and this applies going forward as well, is to keep you head upright and look ahead and not down at the ground. When backing up, use your mirrors and don't try to turn your head around. Turning your head, especially quickly, can mess up your balance.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Voyager said:
I am not exactly sure what you are describing, but I am assuming you mean you have trouble keep the bike upright when you are using the reverse gear and trying to turn while you are backing up.

The main thing to do to keep your balance, and this applies going forward as well, is to keep you head upright and look ahead and not down at the ground. When backing up, use your mirrors and don't try to turn your head around. Turning your head, especially quickly, can mess up your balance.
+1....MIRRORS ONLY. Make sure your saddle is in the low position also....

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, to 'splain a bit better maybe:

my driveway goes 'down' to my garage Pointed east. i can get down there easily enough. the problem is backing out from the garage and turning to my left (from the back)-backing to the north. if i turn the handlebars all the way, she wants to lean to my left and she's too heavy to keep as upright as i need to turn the 90 degrees or so, to go back (westward) so i can goforward and roll right (south up the driveway (back west). it's a two car two door garage. with both cars out i think i'll be able to do it on the flat area inside but with my wife's suv in the second garage i have to exit (didn't say there's a little bit of a dip for the water to run off.

here's a photo if you can see what i am talking about.

wow. this is confusing to all, i'm sure.

but that's my delema. and it makes me worry when i am on the road and need to turn around for any reason. the thoughts of head straight etc. are good. i'll work on that. kinda like going in to a turn and look forward not down, eh?

any more thinks??

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Dick (i'm sure i'm older than thou).

yes in the saddle w 30" inseam feet touch well but not with bent knees. when trying to move her i am on the balls of my feet so there's not A LOT of room i guess. and that's a good point. Just maybe, it's too much for me. i hate to admit it!!! :crybaby: :crybaby:

Dick said:
Hi, Mike - welcome to the site.

I'm prolly reading your post wrong, so lemme ax how you're reversing the LT. Are you in the saddle, with both feet touching ground? And ground is a good surface for boot grip?

There may be some folks who are successful in reversing the LT by walking along side it - not me; I'm always in the saddle while reversing. May require baby steps in some situations, but usually a smooth dance up a sloping driveway into my garage. Hope you are able to conquer this feature, Mike. Good luck.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rolly said:
Get yourself a turn around device. Drive on and turn it around and ready to go. A good one is about $600.
good idea Rolly and i would if i could take it with me. this is a learning issue (I think!).

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Voyager said:

thanks that may be my answer. right now with a scraped knee :mad: i have to bring her down the hill into the garage and try again. this time i'll use my wife to practice with (wow that doesn't sound right-but you know what i mean). good pointers on backing up. i'll bet i was looking down and to the back at some point.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cochinosucio said:
+1....MIRRORS ONLY. Make sure your saddle is in the low position also....
i do remember him saying there's an adjust ment. i also remember he said he had the suspension set for hard.

question 1: where's the seat height adjustment
question 2: where's the suspension tension adjustmednt?

thanks so much guys!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I suppose you could learn a way to do it, but it won't be easy.
Backing up is something basically you don't want, or need to do on a motorcycle. It can be near impossible on a hill, unless you have the reverse thrust from the starter motor to help you.
Which cannot be that powerful so I don't think it will do too much of a hill.
Someone had the best bet for you, I think, which is a turn around of some sort. There are some cheaper ones, what with a foot lever lift up the whole bike and let it roll in any direction on casters.
However, you want to be sure with something like that you have flat ground.
It's always best, particularly for a beginner to park or even stop only on flat ground. Also an old guy like me.
If possible.
dc

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
David13 said:
I suppose you could learn a way to do it, but it won't be easy.
Backing up is something basically you don't want, or need to do on a motorcycle. It can be near impossible on a hill, unless you have the reverse thrust from the starter motor to help you.
Which cannot be that powerful so I don't think it will do too much of a hill.
Someone had the best bet for you, I think, which is a turn around of some sort. There are some cheaper ones, what with a foot lever lift up the whole bike and let it roll in any direction on casters.
However, you want to be sure with something like that you have flat ground.
It's always best, particularly for a beginner to park or even stop only on flat ground. Also an old guy like me.
If possible.
dc
well, you're absolutely right. reminds me of backing up a motorhome towing a car on one trailer and pulling another trailer with misc things. go forward, young man, go forward!

sheesh. this means parallel parking on the street where there's room to drive off. no more backing in to a parking place with your buds! :cool:

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
I think if I wanted to put a bike in that garage I would approach the garage to the closed door, make a tight U-turn and back into the garage's open door. Now the slope may be worse than it appears to me so it may not be easy to back up into the garage. We stayed at a B&B in May and there drive was made of loose stone about an inch in size, too big to call gravel, I had the worst time trying to back up on it and there surely would have been damage had I dropped it so I understand the stress you are having. One thing I learned when you are in tight spaces you have to think first and then act. When I first got my ST1100 12 years ago I parked in a down slopping parking spot and I could not get enough traction under my boots to push the bike out. Finally a good samaritan came along and pushed while I was on the bike. That taught me to examine the slope and tightness of parking spots before pulling in. I am sure you will master this.

Gerhard

·
Registered
403 Posts
Parking space, downhill, toward the curb, few feet, is easy.
He didn't say that. He said uphill, out of the garage to turn around. Use a turnaround.
dc

Gerhard
There is a good idea, too. U turn and back in. Much easier to roll out front wise.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gerhard said:
I think if I wanted to put a bike in that garage I would approach the garage to the closed door,......Gerhard
thanks! i had 3 Ace Tourers and they area 200# less and not as wide. didn't have this issue. i'll perfect it. I WILL!!!! :cool:

tell you what though. i sure DON'T have my wife's trust at this point :eek:

·
Registered
795 Posts
mycamel said:
i do remember him saying there's an adjust ment. i also remember he said he had the suspension set for hard.

question 1: where's the seat height adjustment
question 2: where's the suspension tension adjustment?

thanks so much guys!
1. The seat height adjustment is a bar under the rear of the seat pan, open your left case and pop the seat up with the knob, then make sure that it is swung upward. My hand is grasping the bar in the seat height adjust picture. The accompanying photos show what the seat looks like in the high and low positions.

2. While you have the seat popped up, look directly below and you will see a cylinder with a knob - that is the ride height adjustment. It is laying sideways (horizontal) but there is a hinge that it swings the knob up for adjusting, just make sure to put it back down before you put the seat down.

P.S. pay no attention to the torn down C behind, still have to remove the gas tank to change the air filter, the difference is that it only takes an hour or less on the C :D

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
I forgot, +2 on the mirrors for reverse and don't bring the bars to full lock and it won't lean over as hard. I have arranged my garage to park my bikes at an angle instead of straight in, that way I don't have as much turning to do since I have to back mine all the way out of the driveway due to not enough concrete to turn around.

Either way, I have a point of reference for each bike that I use ahead of me, once I reach that point, with eyes forward I know I turn the bars and I am turning at the right place. Also, use the reverse gear even though it is slow, it helps keep you from getting carried away.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
copperstatetour said:
1. The seat height adjustment is a bar ............2. While you have the seat popped up, look directly below ..........P.S. pay no attention to the torn down C behind, still have to remove the gas tank to change the air filter, the difference is that it only takes an hour or less on the C :D
that's exactly what i needed. thank you very much.

i can see i'm going to depend on y'all while i'm learning. the seller found the manuals so i should have them tuesday night. just in time for a ride north for 150 miles to the office. then back on Thursday. will be tough but someone's got to do it :rolleyes:

is the 'soft' position too soft for a 275 # man to drive comfortably?

and how do you know how far to turn it? how many revolutions are there (roughly)?

thanks again. i'll soon be able to help others!!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
copperstatetour said:
I forgot, +2 on the mirrors for reverse and don't bring the bars to full lock and it won't lean over as hard. I have arranged my garage to park my bikes at an angle instead of straight in, that way I don't have as much turning to do since I have to back mine all the way out of the driveway due to not enough concrete to turn around.

Either way, I have a point of reference for each bike that I use ahead of me, once I reach that point, with eyes forward I know I turn the bars and I am turning at the right place. Also, use the reverse gear even though it is slow, it helps keep you from getting carried away.
great info and ideas. the angle idea is good. closer to the door going in, then back out to take off. i've been thinking of backing in but it's just too many turns forward and backward i think.

i did bring her down the hill and into the garage. now i'll use my wife to work with me on 'extracting' her (the bike that is).

i have a neigbor that has a GW. i'm waiting to see him to talk these issues over with. still embarrased with my damn knee.

has anyone else experienced a sore area just to the inside of the knee? i have noticed it and it's swelling (much has to do with laying her over 2x, i'm sure-- with shorts on!! catching the seat rubber).

feel like a dummy. but thanks for being there guys!

OH---SLOWS GOOD SOMETIMES!!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
795 Posts
mycamel said:
is the 'soft' position too soft for a 275 # man to drive comfortably?

and how do you know how far to turn it? how many revolutions are there (roughly)?
I would think that the low position would be too soft for 275#, but you can try it, if it is bottoming out then just twist it up a few clicks and repeat until it doesn't bottom out and rides smooth as a Cadillac :)

There should be a 'gauge' in the form of a silver sticker in the side of the hand crank cylinder that you can use to gauge how high you have the preload set, the bottom of the crank knob marks the preload you have set.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts