BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought and installed the Ztechnick Z4002 (with baffle out) and am getting a serious amount of popping and backfiring, especially when I let off the throttle, and even more when in the mountains. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do about this before I change back? Maybe this is something I shouldn't even worry about? Is anyone else experiencing this with a new slip-on pipe?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Barry5k said:
I bought and installed the Ztechnick Z4002 (with baffle out) and am getting a serious amount of popping and backfiring, especially when I let off the throttle, and even more when in the mountains. Does anyone have a suggestion on what to do about this before I change back? Maybe this is something I shouldn't even worry about? Is anyone else experiencing this with a new slip-on pipe?
I have the Ztechnick titanium with the "Y" pipe cat eliminator on my R1150R. Backfiring when abruptly rolling off throttle and on long down hill stretches is normal even when in perfect tune. Mine has done it for the past 45K, so I do not worry about it.

Sealing the pipe connections will help some, but it will not eliminate the occasional backfire when conditions are right.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Air leaks / not a good seal at header/collector connection IMO ....

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yes, that kind of popping when rolling off the throttle can be caused by air leaks. Re torque everything to spec and ride it for a few hundred miles, and do it again. It may help.

Mick

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 94 R1100RS has a Staintune exhaust. I asked a bike mechanic about the backfiring/popping. He explained it as the fuel injection computer is set for the stock exhaust. When you change the exhaust it can mean that the air fuel mix is no longer optimal. No harm will be done and I rode that bike 13000 miles last year and had no problems. I guess I got used to the sound because I no longer notice it.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
They all do that. Even with the stock can but it is much more muffled.
Backfiring is when the engine blows back through the intake system which is indicative of
a problem.
Todays motors are running so lean that any change can cause the fuel mix to be so lean that it does not burn, such as when you cut the throttle suddenly. This unburned mix passes through the into the exhaust and builds up as fuel. Under the right conditions this fuel may mix with fresh air coming into the exhaust and be ignited thus the popping sound. No blood, no foul.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts