BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am taking an advanced motorcycle course, as part of my training I am learning to use the gears more for slowing down more than the brakes. But when I do this I get a bit of a popping backfire. Not too loud, but I am sure there is some unburnt fuel going off later than usual.
Has anyone else noticed this under heavy decelleration?
Is it a problem?
Cheers

·
Registered
323 Posts
Backfire

I got that a lot when aggressively down shifting on a GS that I rode for about 11 years. I was in the habit of down shifting rather than braking on that bike. I don't get backfiring with the LT at all but I don't down shift nearly as aggressively with it either. A bad habit I got into that I need to get away from. Transmission control is a great thing.

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
Yep, check the exhaust header nuts for proper torque, and also inspect the entire exhaust for cracks, especially between the catalytic converter and muffler (just behind the passenger foot peg).

·
Registered
115 Posts
meese said:
Yep, check the exhaust header nuts for proper torque, and also inspect the entire exhaust for cracks, especially between the catalytic converter and muffler (just behind the passenger foot peg).
Inspect all 4 exhaust flanges as well. If any of the flange nuts were loose and the backfire occurs after retorquing try new copper exhaust gaskets.
Pete
m aka murray

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You all seem to concur - however you are speaking a different language to this mere mortal.
How much plastic do I have to take off for this?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Remove the tipover wing and left lower plastic.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah - well that sounds simple enough. I changed my rad out, so tightening and inspecting a few bolts and an exhaust should be to problematic - thanks all

·
Registered
461 Posts
Good Morning c00k1e

If you are getting a back fire while decelerating , is the throttle completely closed ?
if it is you may have throttle position sensor problem as above about 1600 RPM + and closed throttle = fuel injectors no open . If it is all working you should be able to fell the fuel come back on when you decelerate down through 1600RPM , just a little sound change and small power bump .
Might try the throttle position sensor reset

Just something to try after the exhaust is checked out

Bob G

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Re: Backfire! - OLD POSTING

Hey folks, check the dates on this thread. Up until SimonCharles posted yesterday, this thread had been dead since 2006. :think:

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Re: Backfire! - OLD POSTING

Steve_R said:
Hey folks, check the dates on this thread. Up until SimonCharles posted yesterday, this thread had been dead since 2006. :think:
Now THAT is freakin' HILARIOUS!!!!! :histerica :histerica :histerica

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
simoncharles said:
c00k1e, did it solve the problem ?.
It didn't actually. My riding style did though. I packed up the advanced course as the instructor was gonna get us both killed - absolute nutter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts