BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone played around with using a back up system, camera and monitor, to augment rear virrors on an LT?

I've found one company selling a monitor with a light sensor that lowes illumination at night.http://www.ebay.com/itm/180882110087?isrelated=1&item=180882110087&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

I found another company selling a dual camera system with a monitor that shows each camera within left and right 4.3 diagonal areas.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&isRelated=1&item=270990186677

My thinking is that the dual camera would would be easier to use than having to look at the fet hand mirror and then having to look over to the right hand mirror?

Or, is one camera with a 120-140 degree view enough that dual rear view isn't necessary?

I also found a GPS system that overlays the gps route on top of an image coming from a front facing camera.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Bob, maybe it is just me but sounds like you are converting your Lt to a cage. :histerica

·
Registered
322 Posts
I don't know about that camera but the one I put on my truck turns on only when in reverse and the manual states to not leave the camera on for extended periods of time because of heat issues.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fore some reason, I just don't trust the cages and trucks behind me, especially when we are on interstates with 75mph.

I want to be able to see what's behind me while taking my eyes off what isin front of me with the least amount of time possible.

I must be gettin old?

My first bike had a silly little X-shaped mirror that was only good for passing inspection.

Thanks for the info about back up systems not being left on all the time.

Best from tucson
Bob

·
Registered
999 Posts
part of defensive driving is a constant slow rotation of your eyes car or bike - front - rear with mirror(s) - front - repeat endlessly

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Yes, A continuous inventory of all the vehicles around you...You need to know and keep track of where everybody is.. This is done by scanning....

But, That's a cool idea.. Maybe a tablet computer and some ip based webcams....

OOh, That's a good idea..
Gotta Go..

John

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Not quite sure :confused:
Are you trying for a system to see behind you for backup purposes or for observation in rear view while riding. Our friend 'ARI' across the pond has a system in place that works with the reverse on the bike first scenario. But if for the latter I am not sure how that would improve on what all LT's already have mirrors. And of course peripheral vision another screen or monitor could prove to be a distraction rather than help. As mentioned before defensive riding/driving calls on all your skills so why not just use them.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I've been looking for something like this too. I find a large blind spot that is un-scanable with the mirrors directly behind the 'truck'. I'm thinking a single camera mounted up by the luggage rack would cover that area.

Bob, you have a mounting method in mind?

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm very comfortable using the mirrors for backing up. At one time, I used to drive 10 wheel dump trucks and different tractor trailer set ups.

What I'm lookung for is better rear view that the mirrors provide. I'm guessing that one camera with 120 degree view would do alot to augment the mirrors. And, that dual rear cameras would expand the rear view coverage and fill in the blind spots.

So far, it seems as if the cameras are either composit video or big WiFi cameras.

Many of the cameras are water proof, but not the monitors, displays. My guess is that since all I want to do is look at the monitor, not have to hit any buttons on it, I could just stick it in a plastic box.

Bob

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
billsmith said:
Not quite sure :confused:
Are you trying for a system to see behind you for backup purposes or for observation in rear view while riding. Our friend 'ARI' across the pond has a system in place that works with the reverse on the bike first scenario. But if for the latter I am not sure how that would improve on what all LT's already have mirrors. And of course peripheral vision another screen or monitor could prove to be a distraction rather than help. As mentioned before defensive riding/driving calls on all your skills so why not just use them.
ride safe :bmw:
Yeah, I happen to have the rear camera, but actually my original idea was to have an additional screen to show the picture that my video is recording. Having three cameras connected BOTH to my video recorder AND to the extra dispaly turned out to be too difficult for my skills so now my screen only shows the picture of my rear video camera. It does it all the time actually, unless I switch the camera off.

However there are some issues...

The camera shooting backwards for mirror replacing purposes must have the "mirroring feature" included. This is how the factory built backup cameras usually work. Otherwise you all all screwed up watcing your video screen where the cars are passing you on the "wrong" side compared to the picture you see on your ordinary rear view mirrors.
My backwards shooting camera is built for taking real footage, not mirrored. And this of course does not work properly for monitoring your behind while riding. It works perfectly when sitting at home in your sofa and watching the footage as then you are sitting "backwards" on your bike, kind of.
With the experience I have so far I would NOT trade the picture of my original LT mirrors + the RS additional mirrors on on handlebars + small round blind spot mirrors on the OEM mirror upper corners to any rear camera picture.
The camera lens can be dirty or there is glare on the screen or whatever and in traffic situation you usually do not have too much time to wonder if your camera is showing the real picture or not. Good mirrors do it better IMHO...

Regards

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
As far as I'm concerned the K1200LT mirrors SUUUUUCK! I can't see directly behind me at all! I think I will buy some K1200RS mirrors like my friend (who owns both an LT and an RS). That should bring them up to a useable level. I don't know what the Germans were thinking by putting the mirrors at kneecap level. Just my opinion as usual and it smells as bad as usual.

Robert

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,926 Posts
The LT mirrors are great for checking the wheels on your Bushtec trailer. The RS mirrors are great for seeing what is behind you. They should have been the very first mod I did instead of the last.

I test drove a friends LT the other day and about freaked out when the mirrors I was used to were GONE!

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
The other issue with a 120-140 deg view camera (equally in rear-view mirror mode) is that because its is sooo wide an angle, "objects in mirror are closer than they appear".

You might get a false impression that a vehicle behind is travelling at a safe distance, yet in fact it is actually quite close to you. I see it all the time with my GoPro (forward-facing) on the bike... I can be sitting 3 feet from a car at stop lights, yet it looks like it is 10ft away in the LCD screen, and that's at 127 deg FOV.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
jzeiler said:
I test drove a friends LT the other day and about freaked out when the mirrors I was used to were GONE!
John,
Do you use the round or oval RS mirrors, been looking into this mod the last few days.

·
Premium Member
323 Posts
+1 on the RS mirrors, I have all four mirrors set slightly different, use the RS mirrors mostly, but have the standard mirror tuned out a bit more to help reduce the blind spot. Rear side proximity detectors would be nice, haven't seen after market ones though, the newer cars with the proximity detectors that flash when a another vehicle enters near your space are pretty cool.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,926 Posts
johnbaker15 said:
John,
Do you use the round or oval RS mirrors, been looking into this mod the last few days.
Oval - really like them. And they are break away if the bike falls over on a pickup. They don't come off but the arm spins around.

·
Registered
656 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-accessories/1887-saeng-ta-quick-scan-mirrors.html
Saeng/TA Quick Scan mirrors were the first thing that I purchased for my LT, then my GSA, and now my GTL.
Picture is with Quick Scan mirror in origiinal position.
Moved the mirror farther to the outboard on the flat spot below the windshield.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=739373
Link to the Quick Scans mounted on the mirror stems on my GS Adventure.

Clearly identifies the threat.
All the way until alongside of you.
No, the cheap Wal-Mart mirrors weren't adequate or in the same league.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the valuable info Chris.

The "Quick-Scan" mirrors look interesting.

Unfortunately, I cannot find any info on their site for dimentions.

Best from tucson
Bob

·
Registered
594 Posts
johnbaker15 said:
John,
I do have "round" mirrors installed in the handlebars. Guess they are from K75/K100 - not RS. They are not as fancy looking as RS's oval-versions but they really do work! I haven't give the old LT mirrors a glance since installin those K***-mirrors :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts