BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. A brief intro: Just bought a 2010 R1200RT SE with 9,000 kilometres. Absolutely love it; already put up 1200 kms this week. This is my sixth Beemer, five of them boxers. The last one, a '98 R1100RT, I traded six months ago on a new Kawasaki 1400 GTR.

The Connie is a very good bike, but I just could not come to terms with the heavy and un-responsive front end and steering. So, it is now on the market. Really can't see me drifting away from Beemers again.

Look forward to getting back into the RT forums

Paul

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am kind of in the same boat, came from a Versys back to an RT. Loved the inexpensive "best bang for the buck" features of the Versys, but in the end it was just a cheap motorcycle (although very capable for what it is.) This is my 2nd RT. My buddy just picked up a 2012 and that was all she wrote.I got the jones again for one and hunted & pecked until I found and shipped one up from AZ. I've rode all the Japanese sport tours and like none of them all for different reasons. Would love to have the new GT, but man that is a lot of money for a motorcycle. The RT seems like a perfect compromise.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Welcome on board... you will like the RT. A lot of Connie guys made the switch.

AND, a lot of Aussies have landed here too.

G'day mate.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
PaulsRT said:
Hello. A brief intro: Just bought a 2010 R1200RT SE with 9,000 kilometres. Absolutely love it; already put up 1200 kms this week. This is my sixth Beemer, five of them boxers. The last one, a '98 R1100RT, I traded six months ago on a new Kawasaki 1400 GTR.

The Connie is a very good bike, but I just could not come to terms with the heavy and un-responsive front end and steering. So, it is now on the market. Really can't see me drifting away from Beemers again.

Look forward to getting back into the RT forums

Paul

G'day mate - good to have you back on board!

Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome, guys. This is now my 6th Beemer, 5 of them boxers (plus one awful experience with a flawed early K100RS). This is by far the most gorgeous bike I have ever owned or ridden. Bit concerned, though, reading this forum yesterday, regards to switchgear, especially Cruise Control problems.

I also find the headlight pretty ordinary, especially high beam, compared to the Connie. Would prefer not to go down the HID path just yet. The biggest thing I am enjoying? Certainly, it is the confidence-inspiring cornering abilities of this bike. My old oilhead was good, but this baby is a lot quicker and steadier on our badly-maintained Aussie back roads. I have a constant grin when banked over.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Interesting
I used to have an early K100RS and except for the handlebar vibes and you couldn't leave it on the side stand as it would smoke for the first few seconds, I had "ZERO" issues in regards to mechanical reliability.

Anyway...welcome on board.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alfred, it was all the electronic gremlins. Not starting; speedo circuit board; charging problems; ignition problems. You simply could not trust it to get you somewhere on time. However, it was a beautifully stable (especially at higher speeds), comfortable, smooth bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts