BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
IBR# 366
16,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using a back protector when riding? Which kind, and what do you like/dislike about it?

My current Alter Ego jacket has a large, stiff foam back pad which is fairly unobtrusive while wearing the jacket, though it makes it harder to roll up the jacket and stuff it into a saddlebag.

One option is to stick with something like that, built into whatever jacket I get next.

Another option is to get a lower back belt or kidney belt. I have concerns about long-term comfort around the waist straps, and whether I'd forget or just not bother with it for short rides.

The third option is an articulated, hard armor spine protector. This is the best from a safety consideration, but again I have comfort concerns about the shoulder and waist straps and worry that it will get ignored for short rides.

I've also seen full vest units, but that does seem overkill and not really practical.

One benefit of better back support may be less reliance on a bike-fitted back rest. I like my Bakup quite a lot, but it is uncomfortable for the passenger so I usually remove it when riding two-up. Even though that's a simple job, it is annoying and I find that I do miss having the back support in place.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
13,451 Posts

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
Howdy Ken,

meese said:
Anyone using a back protector when riding? Which kind, and what do you like/dislike about it?

My current Alter Ego jacket has a large, stiff foam back pad which is fairly unobtrusive while wearing the jacket, though it makes it harder to roll up the jacket and stuff it into a saddlebag.

One option is to stick with something like that, built into whatever jacket I get next....
I know it may be a bit late to switch gear, but thought I'd share my strategy with you, and those that may just be starting out.

As you know, I wear...mostly... BMW gear and Nancy wears it exclussively....although she does have her eye on a, in her words, "cute" Ducati jacket :eek: The nice thing about it is that most of the armor is interchangeable. If Nancy wants to take along an Airflow and her Atlantis leather we only need to take one CE back armor. They all zip together as well. Also, the pant armor is interchangeable as well.

Everyone says that BMW stuff is too pricey, but I've priced it against other like quality gear and found it competively priced.

meese said:
... One benefit of better back support may be less reliance on a bike-fitted back rest. I like my Bakup quite a lot, but it is uncomfortable for the passenger so I usually remove it when riding two-up. Even though that's a simple job, it is annoying and I find that I do miss having the back support in place.

Thoughts?
I know you're committed to the Bak-up on the LT,....but for that new GT:think: The Russell back-rest can be adjusted up pretty high and fairly far forward. Nancy actually has indicated that she "misses" it on those rare occasions when I've removed it. Removal is very quick, slides on and off in about two seconds. It's a pretty simple slide bracket so I would bet that any saddle you went with could be adapted to it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
For back protectors have alook at http://www.planet-knox.com

Great products at a great price and I think the Stowaway me be suitable for what you are after.

Also check out the Clod Killer gear which is light, thin and very good.

·
IBR# 366
16,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
grifscoots said:
Leaned forward some? As soon as I sat on a GT there was an instant, aaaaaaaaah.
"But I neeeed a new GT. It's for my back." :)

·
IBR# 366
16,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bill, I always liked the Russell setup on your LT. I wonder if they make one for the new GT yet?

I got a chance to ride one two-up recently, and we'll be getting new seats for it first thing.

Also, thanks for the other links, guys. I'll check them out.

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
meese said:
... I wonder if they make one for the new GT yet?
I looked on their website and they show the older K-GT with a backrest offered. If they don't offer a seat for the new K-GT, I'm sure they'd sell you the backrest and bracket separately, then you could have any saddle maker incorporate it.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
After my first LT totaling accident, I discovered how valuable a back protector can be. I bought a Bohn protector, and wore it all the time when I was wearing my leather jacket. In summer though, I was wearing Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh gear, which has a little back protection in the order of a fairly stiff pad. I did worry though that that was not going to be nearly the protection that the Bohn was. In my first accident I had a limb of the Manzanita I landed in punctured through the leather and fractured three vertebrae. The Bohn has carbon/Kevlar plates about 6" wide up the spine, and probably would have eliminated or greatly reduced the injuries I had.

I think it was fortunate that both the bad accidents I had later were in cooler weather, and I was not wearing the Phoenix stuff, and had the back protector on. The last one actually ripped an 8" triangle in the back of the leather jacket, but I did not even have a bruise or soreness in my back!

If I get another bike, I will be looking at some of the newer design hard armour back protectors. They are really coming up with some nice ones now.

I would like something that would work well under the mesh riding gear as well as under the leather.

I see you are getting some answers that are not protectors, but back supporters. Not the same thing at all as I am sure you are fully aware.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Meese,

I've been using the Arerostich back protector (in the street) for about ten years now. It is by far the most comfortable protector that I've tried. It is a compromise , as it is made for everyday use. Sampled others , bought a couple, but the "stich" back protector gets my vote every time for general touring and sport touring. At the track I wear the heavier duty protectors, but they are not comfortable for street use.

Patrick.

·
IBR# 366
16,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think Bakup makes one for the new GT already, and I thought about modifying a Russell. I'll probably just fit a back rest to an aux fuel tank, as I'll need both when riding alone but not when two-up.

·
IBR# 366
16,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know the difference between protectors and supporters, but since all I'm using now is a simple stiff foam pad in the jacket I figure anything's an improvement. I'm more concerned with comfort and ease of use so that I'll actually wear it day after day. Even the best gear is useless if it's hanging in the garage.

·
Registered
245 Posts
BMW protector

If you like BMW gear, then you might like this.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/back-protector/bmw-back-protector/

I bought one last year and I don't wear it all of the time. Mostly when I do track days on the Ducati and when I'm going on "spirited" rides. I have no problems with it. It fits really well, has great adjustability and I hope it never has to do its job.

·
Registered
460 Posts
BMW back protector

I've wear the BMW back protector about 80% of the time. I bought Cycle Port's Airmesh Kevlar a few months ago, which provides decent back protection. However, I like the insurance of the back protector.

The back protector is very comfortable when the temps are less than 78 F and I'm wearning the Airmesh. In addtion feeling protected, it actually provides back support when I lean against the low seatback.

I found the back protector is too hot under a leather jacket. Then again, I'm biased about leather -- I won't wear it since buying the Cycle Port.

·
Prodigal Son
1,297 Posts
Bohn and Dainese

Two friends wear these under their gear.(sport bike riders)
Yes they are warm here in Texas, yes they have both been down with little or no ill effects.
My FieldSheer Mach II has a flexible protector which is comfortable , I would not rate it as good as the other two.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Sorry, late to this thread....

I have worn a back protector for about 5 years....

For your comment....."but again I have comfort concerns about the shoulder and waist straps and worry that it will get ignored for short rides."

1. The straps are a comfort issue when riding in an upright position as the proper protectors are not featherweight.
2. Whenever I have a hesitation about putting it on, I keep in mind the image of sliding along the ground at 80mph heading for an Armco barrier.....very effective.
3. After you wear one for a while, its like a seatbelt...you feel naked in the front seat of a car when you don't wear one.
4. I wear perforated leather in summer and the back protector doesn't make any difference temperature-wise. I have a full Knox.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts

One option is to stick with something like that, built into whatever jacket I get next.

Another option is to get a lower back belt or kidney belt. I have concerns about long-term comfort around the waist straps, and whether I'd forget or just not bother with it for short rides.

The third option is an articulated, hard armor spine protector. This is the best from a safety consideration, but again I have comfort concerns about the shoulder and waist straps and worry that it will get ignored for short rides.

I've also seen full vest units, but that does seem overkill and not really practical.

One benefit of better back support may be less reliance on a bike-fitted back rest. I like my Bakup quite a lot, but it is uncomfortable for the passenger so I usually remove it when riding two-up. Even though that's a simple job, it is annoying and I find that I do miss having the back support in place.

Thoughts?
I always wear my Alpine Stars two-piece leathers zipped together with an Alpine Stars Nucleon Back Protector KR-R, and tail bone protector which attaches to the bottom of the back protector. Both pieces attach to the back of the suit. I also use a chest protector, and boots, race gloves and Arai Signet-X helmet.
I do not find the gear uncomfortable. Road rash and broken bones scare me!
I have crashed a few times due to road hazard, or black ice, and each time my gear has been scuffed up, my motorcycle scuffed a bit, and I have remained unhurt. So far, so good.

·
IBR# 366
16,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow, way to pull up an 11-year old thread... :D

For the record, my current riding jacket is a Helite Adventure Jacket, with a built-in airbag.

I lived in this jacket for 11 days and 12,000 miles during this year's Iron Butt Rally, and found it to be reasonably comfortable over a wide variety of temps. Some of the fit & finish could be better (a collar snap pulled out the first week I had the jacket, and an inner liner seam split where the sleeve meets the shoulder after a couple months of daily use). I did take the jacket back to the importer, who offered to send it to the factory in France for rework, with no real guarantee of turnaround time. No thanks—I just re-sewed the liner and ignored the snap. Still, the potential protection outweighs those smaller complaints.

Fortunately, I didn't go down when I hit the deer this summer, but I was glad to be wearing the jacket anyway.

And I can say the the airbag inflates very quickly, and looks like it would give excellent protection during an unexpected get-off.

Rumor has it that Helite is in discussions with Klim about merging their airbags into some top-quality jackets...

Reactions: kbob12
1 - 20 of 22 Posts