BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Back in the saddle

914 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  SilverBuffalo 
#1 ·
Two months ago I was riding to San Diego to start an Iron Butt 50 CC ride across country when I became a victim of heat stroke. I wish I could tell you what it’s like to fall off an LT at 70mph with the cruise control set, but that little part of my accident is nowhere to be found between my ears. I would love to also say that I was wearing my Aerostich suit along with a full face helmet, but that would be a lie. I was wearing jeans, long sleeve T-shirt, and an illegal Nazi style helmet. When I awoke face down in a bush my helmet was off my head and about 50 feet away. The bike was in the opposite direction about 20 feet away. To make a long story short, I walked away from the crash pretty much unscathed. The bike is another story. It turns out that it doesn’t take much to total out an LT. From what I saw and can remember of the bike it looked like mostly damage to the tupperware and the mirrors were gone. Granted I wasn’t 100% when I saw it, but the insurance company totaled out it pretty quickly. Besides being lucky in the accident, I had replacement coverage for the bike, so this coming Wednesday I’m picking up a new Magnesium Black 2006 K1200LT. Life is good!

#2 ·
kamuter said:
Two months ago I was riding to San Diego to start an Iron Butt 50 CC ride across country when I became a victim of heat stroke. I wish I could tell you what it’s like to fall off an LT at 70mph with the cruise control set, but that little part of my accident is nowhere to be found between my ears. I would love to also say that I was wearing my Aerostich suit along with a full face helmet, but that would be a lie. I was wearing jeans, long sleeve T-shirt, and an illegal Nazi style helmet. When I awoke face down in a bush my helmet was off my head and about 50 feet away. The bike was in the opposite direction about 20 feet away. To make a long story short, I walked away from the crash pretty much unscathed. The bike is another story. It turns out that it doesn’t take much to total out an LT. From what I saw and can remember of the bike it looked like mostly damage to the tupperware and the mirrors were gone. Granted I wasn’t 100% when I saw it, but the insurance company totaled out it pretty quickly. Besides being lucky in the accident, I had replacement coverage for the bike, so this coming Wednesday I’m picking up a new Magnesium Black 2006 K1200LT. Life is good!
Certainly glad to hear you came through it in fine shape. On May 3rd past I got off mine doing 60mph and can relate every flip and tumble, had on one of them halfa** helmets myself and it saved my life as it took quit a beating but stayed intact. Thank goodness my flip front Nolan and leathers stayed in good shape as they were hanging in the closet at the time of accident. Next time I ride they will be with me. Having to repair the bike on my dime as I only had liability insurance, full coverage will also accompany me on next ride. 'taint cheap fixing one of these LTs thats for sure.
Sonny

#4 ·
Who is that Angel

I have to admit for the first few weeks after the accident I was very confused as to why I was even alive. It was a very emotional time for me. As I got up and around and started seeing all the bikes on the road I started thinking about how much riding meant to me and that while I made some stupid choices that day, I can't just walk away from it. I was given what I believe is a second chance and now I'm going to enjoy everyone and everything (including the new LT) around me.

#5 ·
Who was that angel?

kamuter said:
I have to admit for the first few weeks after the accident I was very confused as to why I was even alive. .
I can Identify with a lot of this as I have just about recovered from an accident earlier this year, just maybe we (you and I) have a purpose in this life?

and that while I made some stupid choices that day
Most of us here would agree with you, the important thing is:
did you learn from it?

I was given what I believe is a second chance and now I'm going to enjoy everyone and everything (including the new LT) around me
The choice of how to use that second chance is all yours,
Trying to find out who that angel really is might not be such a bad thing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.