BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2010 RT backfired today twice in a minute or so from me setting off. Please can anyone tell me why this happened as it is the first time I have encountered it. More importantly should I be worried and get it professionally looked at?

·
Registered
747 Posts
This thread is worthless without a more precise description of your symptoms and some knowledge from folks replying.
The burbling sound some get when chopping the throttle is caused by abrupt changes in mixture and isn't rare in modern fuel injected stuff due to lean mixtures, This is not backfiring as the term is correctly used.
You'll know a true backfire if you manage to get one- far louder and clearly disruptive in normal operation. Typical causes are egregious fuel mixture errors or ignition malfunction.
Real backfires need attention. A little burbling needs nothing but if it really annoys you it is possible to spend some $ and reprogram the fueling to eliminate it.More open exhausts often make the burbling issue more noticeable and new bikes seem to do it more than bikes with a bunch of miles- perhaps subtle changes in either rider behavior or exhaust system internal impact it over time,

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Well I believe you are referring to After firing.
After firing is the continuing combustion in the exhaust cycle resulting
in the sound you hear at the exhaust pipe. The first thing to do is check your clearances on your valves. If it continues after you check and adjust your valves then you need to look into it further. Not much to go on based what you have told us so far but check the valves first unless you see something obvious.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses so far. The noise i heard was definitely a split second very loud popping noise rather than a burbling. It happened after starting the bike and slowly pulling away in a car park.This was repeated after a further few hundred yards. I had ridden the bike quite hard too my destination and it had then sat parked up for nearly three hours before i pulled off and encountered this problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.