BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I picked up my 2011 R1200RT, I noticed that inside the "glove box" cover, there was a spring clip. It looked intended to hold a small flashlight.

I checked the BMW accessories, and the parts fiche for all the R-series. No luck. The K1600 has the same clip and that parts fiche showed a flashlight, but no specs...

So I went looking and found the the perfect flashlight for my http://j.mp/FenixF20 It fits the clip in the glove box perfectly. It's the Fenix LD20 LED flashlight with all the cool features:

• Runs on two normal AA batteries
  • General mode has steady 9 lumens (71hrs), 50 lumens (13hrs), 105 lumens (5 hours) and SOS
  • Turbo mode has 205 lumens steady and strobe
  • Solid aluminum
  • IPX-8 waterproof

·
Registered
48 Posts
If you find a tire pressure gauge with a light that fits there, even better!!!
Lemme know......

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
$60.00?

I found one that fits in the LT for less than $8 at target :wave

·
Registered
290 Posts
Mine came with the bike, but it's pretty crappy.

·
Registered
296 Posts
blainem said:
A mini MAG light 2AA cell fits perfectly in the clip on my RT. You can get then in conventional incandescent bub or LED. They can often be found on sale for less than 10 bucks at big box stores.

10 bucks on Amazon today

Cheers
That's what I use. The LED one-clips or slides in perfect. Quite bright on high for the size. I just can't see spending 50 bucks or more on a flashlight that I don't use very often. Just change the AA batteries once a year to be safe.

·
Registered
747 Posts
You're not expecting to need much if you settle for a stock mini MagLite (bulb life and battery life can be a problem and its lack of a redundant off switch in the tail allows it to vibrate on and kill the battery while clipped in your storage location, for example) or an LED cheapy (many of these are too bright so destroy night vision and waste battery power).
You get what you pay for- note the run times at the lower outputs for that Fenix (one of the better made in China brands). That's plenty of light for close work with DAYS of run time. Then note the very high output capability also- nice for reading signs further away, for example, but at the cost of run time.

The first time you get stuck with a breakdown where there are no people or streetlights you'll likely adjust your thinking while you're wondering if your light will last long enough for you to do whatever is needed. But maybe you'll get lucky and someone with a 4 wheeler will stop so his headlights provide what you need.....

Lithium batteries (the disposable type) recommended so you can forget about them going bad in storage for a decade or so as compared to a couple years for alkalines.

I prefer using disposable 123 cell powered lights. Those batteries are cheaper than disposable AA lithiums if bought in quantity and have better power density.A MiniX is always in my pocket and I carry several lights on the bike that cover my tent use, possible night repair work, etc. (see 4sevens website). Tiny they are but plenty of output, reliability and longevity. Another is a modified miniMag with an LED conversion, a safety tail switch and lithium AAs, all changes to address the failure modes of the stock light.

·
Cat Herder
1,578 Posts
I'm using this bad boy... I have gotten stuck in the dark as well and you want something very bright and energy efficient.

I have the black one. It was $40.

http://www.foursevens.com/product_info.php?products_id=2855

Dimensions Length: 3 inches/Body diameter: 0.7 inches/Head diameter: 0.7 inches/Weight (without batteries): 0.7 oz

LED Emitter CREE XP-G Voltage range 0.9V-3V

Spot Beam Angle: 8.8°/Diameter at 3mm: 460mm Flood Beam Angle: 8.8?/Diameter at 3mm: 460mm

Brightness Levels Low, Medium, High Special Modes Strobe, SOS, Beacon Hi, Beacon Lo

Reflector Textured Body Material Type-III hard-anodized aircraft-grade aluminum Bezel Material Type-III hard-anodized aircraft-grade aluminum

Lens Material Optical-grade glass lens with antireflective coating on both sides Included Accessories Battery, lanyard, split ring for keychain attachment, spare o-ring

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
FridayBob said:
Knowing this group, half of you will convert the LED to an HID. I know I did...
:worthless
:wave

·
Registered
6 Posts
IDisposable said:
When I picked up my 2011 R1200RT, I noticed that inside the "glove box" cover, there was a spring clip. It looked intended to hold a small flashlight.

I checked the BMW accessories, and the parts fiche for all the R-series. No luck. The K1600 has the same clip and that parts fiche showed a flashlight, but no specs...

So I went looking and found the the perfect flashlight for my http://j.mp/FenixF20 It fits the clip in the glove box perfectly. It's the Fenix LD20 LED flashlight with all the cool features:

• General mode has steady 9 lumens (71hrs), 50 lumens (13hrs), 105 lumens (5 hours) and SOS
  • Solid aluminum
  • IPX-8 waterproof
Thanks for sharing your views. I am looking for good led flashlights.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I also say the clip and decided to go with a Maglite torch. After going through so many Maglites because I kept the battery in the torch. I put the torch & batteries in a ziploc bag, and used that in the clip. The ziploc keeps everything together, and does not add too much to the thickness, it also allows the batteries to be stored without the dangers of battery leakage!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sleuth said:
I also say the clip and decided to go with a Maglite torch. After going through so many Maglites because I kept the battery in the torch. I put the torch & batteries in a ziploc bag, and used that in the clip. The ziploc keeps everything together, and does not add too much to the thickness, it also allows the batteries peimar lighting to be stored without the dangers of battery leakage!
That's great. you do have good knowledge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
IDisposable said:

So I went looking and found the the perfect flashlight for my It fits the clip in the glove box perfectly. It's the Fenix LD20 LED flashlight with all the cool features:

• Solid aluminum
  • IPX-8 waterproof
Thanks for sharing nice little review and link buddy. I am looking for such lights and I think I found the exact one I was searching. Thanks again :dance: :dance:

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
You guys are all sissies!

Nitecore "tiny monster" 3500 lumens, Burn your eyes right out of your skull.

·
Registered
215 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.