BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a set of Avon Storm 3D XM tires for my 1999 K1200LT.
I will review them after I put some mileage on them.

FRONT TYRE:
Avon AV65 Storm 3D XM
120/70 ZR17 - 58W
Load Range B
Tread Depth = 4mm

REAR TYRE:
Avon AV66 Storm 3D XM
160/70 R17 - 79V Reinforced
Load Range C = 963lb (cold)
Tread Depth = 8mm

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Just purchased a set of Avon Storm 3D XM tires for my 1999 K1200LT.
I will review them after I put some mileage on them.

FRONT TYRE:
Avon AV65 Storm 3D XM
120/70 ZR17 - 58W
Load Range B
Tread Depth = 4mm

REAR TYRE:
Avon AV66 Storm 3D XM
160/70 R17 - 79V Reinforced
Load Range C = 963lb (cold)
Tread Depth = 8mm
Definitely curious to hear how they handle and wear. How does their cost compare to Metzeler?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Absolutely. Let us know. I'm due for a new set after this season. And was thinking of getting the Storm 2 ultras

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Just replaced mine with Metzlers. Picked up a utility knife blade in rear tire with low mileage on tire. Glad for the reinforced side walls. Tire lost pressure rather quickly. $500. mounted and balanced off bike.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Absolutely. Let us know. I'm due for a new set after this season. And was thinking of getting the Storm 2 ultras
I tried to get the Storm 2 Ultras but was told that the new 3D XM replaced them and there was no more Storm 2 Ultras in stock

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Had the front for about 8 k miles. Feels about the same as the storms. IMHO the storms are better in the rain. I was hoping the new tire would fix the cupping, but nope, its already started. Which is about the same miles I got on the storms before it started.
But the storms are still the best tire for this bike, so I stick with them. Pun intended.

Zeke

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
almost forgot.
i posted earlier in the tire section.
But i could only find these in one store in Ca.
maybe more available now.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I was hoping the new tire would fix the cupping, but nope, its already started. Which is about the same miles I got on the storms before it started.

Zeke
What pressure are you running in the front tire? I've found that when I run 42 PSI I no longer have cupping issues. Of course as soon as the dealer helpfully lowers it to 38 for me after a service it starts up again (ME 880s) but can be quickly corrected by bringing the pressure back up to 42.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Well; its doesn't happen on the metz. the BT020 and avon Yes.
but i run 42-43 and am religious about checking it.
But I have inconsistent issues. sometimes they will 10k sometimes 6 k
but usually around 8K. But since the Avons are so good, I live with it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Guys,
I have only being able to put a couple of hundred mile on the Avon 3D XM tyres, but I have found the bike feels skittish and unstable when going straight at speed. Maybe its my imagination, I have change the front tyre pressure from 35psi to 42psi to see if it would make a differance, but no it feels the same.
I have read that pointy profiles have that affect and the 3D XM do have a more pointy profile then the Metzeler 880's. Handling in the corners is no problem, its just going straight. Has anyone else had such a problem ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts