BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after checking the date stamp on my new-old LT I discovered the rear wheel was manufactured Feb 2010 and front Feb 2012. I’ve been looking at different tire options and the new Avon Cobra Chrome tires advertise great grip and longevity, and they produce a better version for heavy bikes. Has anyone had any experience with these tires?

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
So after checking the date stamp on my new-old LT I discovered the rear wheel was manufactured Feb 2010 and front Feb 2012. I’ve been looking at different tire options and the new Avon Cobra Chrome tires advertise great grip and longevity, and they produce a better version for heavy bikes. Has anyone had any experience with these tires?
No experience. The Avon site listing suggests the load and speed range is correct (79V) and lists RF which I assume means reinforced, but when I go to other sites such as Bike Bandit that have model-specific tire look-ups, they don’t list the Cobra Chrome for the LT. Maybe it is too new to be listed, but I would want to check with Avon to ensure the tire is suitable for the LT before buying one.

If you try one out, let us know how it works. It is always nice to have additional choices for the LT.

·
Registered
2003 1200LT
337 Posts
Base on some reviews on this site I put on a Shenko HD777 and so far given the few hundred miles I have ridden I really like it, especially for the money I spent. It has been on for a few months and I can't tell it has lost any pressure given the cold/not so cold cycles it has gone through. The front is a year old Met. 888 but both of them are glass smooth up well past 75.

With regard to Avon I only have experience with some Avons I had on a 2005 Drifter but they were also good tires.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Base on some reviews on this site I put on a Shenko HD777 and so far given the few hundred miles I have ridden I really like it, especially for the money I spent. It has been on for a few months and I can't tell it has lost any pressure given the cold/not so cold cycles it has gone through. The front is a year old Met. 888 but both of them are glass smooth up well past 75.

With regard to Avon I only have experience with some Avons I had on a 2005 Drifter but they were also good tires.
What about the story that ME888 touching the rear drive arm. Is this true or should I go for an ME888?

·
Registered
113 Posts
About 4-5 ago, I contacted avon about the cobra chrome, for my 2000 LT.
They told me that the chrome was a cruiser tire & wouldn't recommend it for the LT. They went on to tell me that the storm xm was being updated & that they would contact me early 2019 with more info. I have heard no more from them since.
I had cobras on an '83 suzuki GS1100GK, that I had just before the LT. They handled great on that bike. So, I suspect that the chromes would be a very good rear tire for the LT.
My LT is up for sale now, & has a very good BT020 on the back. So, I'm probably not getting any more LT rear tires, but I thought I'd offer my info for those interested.

·
Registered
2003 1200LT
337 Posts
What about the story that ME888 touching the rear drive arm. Is this true or should I go for an ME888?
Sorry, no experience with a Metzler on the rear of the LT.

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
I have not tried an 888 on the rear. After running 4 or 5 880s, I tried a BT020 and never looked back. The Bridgestone handles and rides as well as the Metz, wears close to 50% longer and is cheaper to buy. A trifecta.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts