BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering whether or not it is possible to avoid bumper to bumper traffic around Chicago. If it is what time would one have to ride thru there? We will be headed for Colorado on a Monday morning.

The other option is to take the High speed ferry from Muskegon to Milwaukee, that would put us in Milwaukee around noon local time.

What do the experts think??? :confused:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Having lived there for 30 years the easiest is in the middle of the night on a weekend if possible. Chicago has only 2 seasons.....winter & construction season. Using the Skyway in IN will help avoid some of the local traffic on the Southside. Have plenty of change available as you probably don't have the EZ Pass to help you glide thru the tollway system. Thankfully, with the internet and technolgy getting around the mess is a tad easier. The ferry is probably a great option to enjoy the ride and avoid the stress of navigating the madness.

Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
No need to worry about Chicago
Unless you were either visiting or were meeting someone. On my trip last year I rode I-57 south to I-80 west. Eventually I had to drop south on I-76 entering up above Sterling and picked up 70 in Denver for a ride through the tunnels. After that it was all back roads in the next 3 states.
So if you come south and pick up 94 to 80 you should be good. I returned from my east coast trip a couple nights ago and night construction on 94 in Indiana had it down to 2 lanes but open up before crossing into Illinois. So either early or after 9 am on the 94 leg.
Side bar that route 6 to PA was like you said. Good ride lots to see.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There was no need to worry about traffic around Chicago early Saturday morning. We flew right thru! We rode 1100 from Hudsonville to Burlington CO

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts