BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as the title says what is the average age of k12lt riders i found one post from 2007 so was wondering how old most are. i would love to upgrade someday to a k1600 but 160hp i would be speeding everywhere so my little 98hp seams just enough and dont think i need another 60hp. just like my rc51 has 145hp and i take it out and rip the backroads for 20 miles then im done. am i getting to old??

im 40 so how old are you?

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
57. I have twice rented K1600s in Europe: once for just under two weeks in the Alps and Dolomites and another for just over two weeks in the UK. I had no problem controlling the 160 HP, but I agree that the LT's 116 (I have a 2007) is almost always plenty. I do like the superior low-end torque of the 1600, but my current preference for the LT over the GTL is completely unrelated to HP or even lb-ft.

Reactions: 99+bmw

·
Registered
48 Posts
43 over here. I find my K12LT has plenty of power, but I wouldn't argue with having more. I'm a fairly spirited rider to begin with. >:)>:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
43 over here. I find my K12LT has plenty of power, but I wouldn't argue with having more. I'm a fairly spirited rider to begin with. >:)>:)

more power yeah could always use more:wink: but if my k12 moves pretty good with a hundred i cant wait till i can trade up to a k16 but there are so many bikes i still want out there like bmw's R n T and they also have a nice 68 r50us in the showroom for 14k.. i think my knee draggin days are over for the street anyway

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
99+bmw - I stopped riding about your age, as we had a small child, and I'd became more risk averse. I got the riding bug again at 62 and bought the LT in '12 and was completely satisfied with it's 117 hp until I rode solo up to the '15 Curve Cowboy Reunion with another couple on a K1600GT.

I replaced the LT with a '16 GTLE, as I had a lust for more power, lighter weight, easier handling, a wet clutch, and hill start control and haven't regretted my decision. Sirius radio and a 3-year warranty are added pluses. :bmw:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
99+bmw - I stopped riding about your age, as we had a small child, and I'd became more risk averse. I got the riding bug again at 62 and bought the LT in '12 and was completely satisfied with it's 117 hp until I rode solo up to the '15 Curve Cowboy Reunion with another couple on a K1600GT.

I replaced the LT with a '16 GTLE, as I had a lust for more power, lighter weight, easier handling, a wet clutch, and hill start control and haven't regretted my decision. Sirius radio and a 3-year warranty are added pluses. :bmw:
awesome 62 and still riding thats great to hear + a k16

·
Registered
6 Posts
77 + ride a 2000 LT, enough power, an do not like the look of the K16.

1st BMW was a 1962 r69s. Wish I still had it. Of course I wish I had keep all of the BMW I have owned.

But space is a problem, so have only the LT.

Merry Christmas & Happy New year.>:)

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
65, almost 66
Stopped riding after a cross country, 3 months and 17,000 miles on a Suzuki water buffalo in 1973.

Bought the 2009 LT last month after much encouragement from son whose been riding for 4 years.

116 hp is more than enough for me. Still getting used to slow maneuvering.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I'm 70 now and ride a K1300S and it is wonderful at 176 HP. But my S1000R (with 160+ hp) is much faster up to about 130 or so, then the big boy takes over. I love them both, they are so different. I will be looking for another K13S (used) in a couple of years, when I get old. :grin:

·
Registered
12 Posts
61. Sold my 99' LT two years ago at age 59, and picked up an 09' RT. Rode the LT for 5 yrs, but it kept getting heavier every year. Finally laid it down (very gently) in a gravel parking lot, backing up and hit a pot hole.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm 70 now and ride a K1300S and it is wonderful at 176 HP. But my S1000R (with 160+ hp) is much faster up to about 130 or so, then the big boy takes over. I love them both, they are so different. I will be looking for another K13S (used) in a couple of years, when I get old. :grin:
with claims like that it has to be proven need video's:grin: how big are those chicken strips on that S ? lol j/k0:)
always wanted a first gen busa as a sport tourer but just never happend and clean first gens are hard to find

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
There is a 1/4" safety margin of course. Old bones take longer to heal.

·
Registered
178 Posts
46. Will be 47 next month. I've only had my LT for 10 months. The power is adequate/fine once she gets going. I rented a 2014 GTL a couple of years ago and agree that the power is fantastic, but manageable. I will likely get a GTL one day, but hope the looks have improved by then. IMO It is not an ugly bike, but looks unfinished and not as sleek or refined as the LT.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
46. Will be 47 next month. I've only had my LT for 10 months. The power is adequate/fine once she gets going. I rented a 2014 GTL a couple of years ago and agree that the power is fantastic, but manageable. I will likely get a GTL one day, but hope the looks have improved by then. IMO It is not an ugly bike, but looks unfinished and not as sleek or refined as the LT.
my local dealer has some demo 1600's at very good prices right now. im afraid to take a test run i will come home with one

·
Registered
694 Posts
56 yo here. Currently own 2004 LT and a 2014 New Edition KLR 650 for when the pavement ends. I dread the day when the LT is gone because ( I will probably get blazed for saying this ) I do not see anything in the current BMW lineup that is comparable. K1600GTL just looks like a work in progress and needs some fit and finish work. Not the complete system as the LT.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Going on 63 & ride 2 LT's. I have a 3rd for parts plus I have more new parts in stock than most dealers. I also have doubles & triples of a lot of used parts. I'll be riding a LT as long as I can hold it up when I stop. I have about 20 final drives & have 8 different gear ratios set up for my LT's.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
54, will be 55 in February. Yea, the discount at Dennys is coming...I don't ride a LT, but I wish the RT had more grunt. I am big and it's probably like riding two up for some, so I soak up some of the power. Another 10-15hp and 15ft/lbs of torque would be nice, especially below 3k RPM. The K bikes are nice, but I like not having payments.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts