BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks ...... I recently read about a certain inmate who was a little worried about his ability to hold up the LT.

I had my first LT in 2000 and loved it.... Then went on to many other BMW's. I have been hovering here now for some time and will now purchase a second hand LT for the pure pleasure of it. However that particular post and my history with my 1999 LT, has me a little concerned.... I am now 60 and do worry about my ability to hold the old girl up.

SO...... I did a search on here for a poll on average age of LT riders and this subject and could not find one....(there was a poll for age of RT riders)..... Is there one, if not would it be good to start one?... Perhaps it could include height, inside leg measurement and age.... No fibbing!

What do we all think?.... Useful?

Cheers Stuart

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Didn't search in the Surveys & Polls section very hard, 7th one down.

Here

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's great thank you.

I limited my search to the LT forum..... Whoops.... I did not see that section.

Thank you for that.....Sorry to waste people's time.

Regards

Stuart

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I calculated my average age thus:

62 (ending) - 0 (beginning) / 2 = 31.
Therefore, my average age is 31.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Only 27 here by Franks' calculation. I do like the way Frank calculates!

If you are alert, healthy, and have good strength in at least one of your longer legs you should be A-OK.

Loren

·
Registered
552 Posts
I go from the thought process that if the big girls wants to lay down it doesn't matter how big or strong or young you are, It is going to go down.

So it isn't a matter of holding it up it is a matter of learning to pick it up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Holy cow! I just looked at that poll and half you guys are younger than me. Now I'm depressed. I'm going for a ride. :)

·
Registered
860 Posts
After a tough day at work, I'm at least 90... But I get on Wild Blue and I turn into a giddy 24 year old who has issues with the throttle and going out of my way to seek the curvy and twisty chunks of asphalt...

And I take exception to the word "inmate"... Heh... I resemble that remark...

:D

nuff said...

·
Registered
493 Posts
SteveW said:
Holy cow! I just looked at that poll and half you guys are younger than me. Now I'm depressed. I'm going for a ride. :)
Humm, at my age I'm ahead of 98.79% of rest of you'll. Poor old '99 LT 209K and still as smooth as silk.. And yes I when riding today and will do it again tomorrow, hehe... Life is good.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
I think those bar graphs need to be shifted up 5 years :D

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have two of the biggest, heaviest production bikes made....the LT and the Triumph Rocket. I'm 62 and definately not as strong as I was 7 or 8 yrs ago. I think what's changed is my "attitude". I used to think I could "man handle" the bikes. Now that I know that I can't, I ride with more finesse and balance. I don't think that it's, necessarily, an "age" thing. Everyone is different and I think we all know when it's time to give it up and change to something smaller.If you're enjoying riding and don't fear it.....keep doing it!

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I think we all need to start cutting back on the birthdays...Have no more that one a year, there starting to stack up like cord wood...:wave

·
Registered
392 Posts
fpmlt said:
I calculated my average age thus:

62 (ending) - 0 (beginning) / 2 = 31.
Therefore, my average age is 31.
Hope that helps.
You can't end now Frank, the deer won't let you. Love the new avatar. Can you tell everyone he story behind it... PLEASE?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have had a hip replaced and a knee replaced plus major 'maintenance' done on both shoulders.

Since one hip and one knee are very 'young' and the shoulders are using newer parts --I calculate that I am now --overall--based upon average age of critical body parts--at least 15 years younger that the oldest part on my body.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tvolk said:
I have had a hip replaced and a knee replaced plus major 'maintenance' done on both shoulders.

Since one hip and one knee are very 'young' and the shoulders are using newer parts --I calculate that I am now --overall--based upon average age of critical body parts--at least 15 years younger that the oldest part on my body.
And clearly young at heart too. :histerica :dance:

·
Registered
747 Posts
--Don't let your age spoil the fun, ride.

On 2/9/2008 had both knees replaced. In July 2008 rode to Gillette, WY., putting 4200 mile on in the two week ride.
Enjoy the ride and toss out the age.

George:

aka MT Helmet

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What a forum..... A great thanks for all your encouragement.

Stuart

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Not to be left out.........I figure I'm 21..............with 36 years of experience........ :cool:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Tom1200 said:
I go from the thought process that if the big girls wants to lay down it doesn't matter how big or strong or young you are, It is going to go down.

So it isn't a matter of holding it up it is a matter of learning to pick it up.
When I was 20 I had a little sport bike that weighed 305#, When it decided to go over, there was nothing I could but ease her down and avoid as much damage as possible. Same with every other bike that decides to go if you loose balance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts