BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have requested to add extra lights to the LT, ( by The Wife ).
Can any one direct me to find auxiliary driving lights. Thank you.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I have requested to add extra lights to the LT, ( by The Wife ).
Can any one direct me to find auxiliary driving lights. Thank you.

There is always the PIAA halogen LT kit available on Amazon made for the LT although I find it a bit pricey. They are good lights though but not LED. Wiring would need to be extra as the lighting wiring on the LT is not overly robust so at least a fused relay off the battery fed by an aux circuit to power them.

PIAA LT Kit

Is this to " see" or to " be seen" better?

I did my own off the lower wings. Made a no drill bracket to tuck them in underneath without damaging any tupperware.

I used these LED lights and they seem to be pretty good so far. They are 900 lumens each and you can even see them lighting up the road in daylight. You are on your own for figuring out how and where to mount them.

900 Lumen LED lights

I also have some hyperlight clusters mounted low on the shocks but I didn't install those.

Attachments

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
I have a pair of Motolight caliper mount brushed aluminium lights still new in the box. They retail new for $570 with LED bulbs. I'll Sell them for $225 + shipping. The Motolight LED bulb kit is $135. $225 + $135 = $360 vs $570

·
Registered
541 Posts
Most people will say the first thing you should do is to upgrade the headlight to HID. It's the best thing (and cheapest) to help you see down the road.

I have two sets of auxiliary lights on my bike-also at my wife's urging. One is Moto lights-they are great lights, easy to install. Many LT riders have them. They aren't all that great for you seeing down the road-but give you a nice visibility for those coming the other way. I also installed very inexpensive Mondo light under the cowl-again, really simple, and for the price (about 140) they give another set of lights for visibility. My son rides with me, often in his LT, and calls my lights 'the Christmas tree' pattern. I don't care what I look like, I want others to see me, and I want to see down the road. I don't ride a lot at night, except on the long trips like we just planned (48 states in 9 days for the spring).

·
Registered
322 Posts
Lots of choice. I have a pair of Fuego HID auxiliary lights but they're good only when there is no oncoming traffic. They are very bright. I use one wide beam to light up the side of the road for early warning with deer and one driving light. I have an extra pair of auxiliary lights mounted low: PIAA 530 driving LED lights. I get noticed during the day and can light up the road at night. BTW: I used BMR brackets for the Fuego lights. Check out Clearwater LED lights, they can be dimmed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I used these from eBay.
12V 35W CREE LED Light X2 KTM 1190 Adventure Yamaha XT660 XT1200 Farkle My Ride | eBay

Until getting my LT in September I toured on my 2005 Haybusa. I am an IBA member and put on many miles. I chose these lights because they are dimmable and you program the intensity of the low position. Mine were wired through a switch. When on they were on in low so I could use them in the daytime and at night in traffic and when headlights were switched to high beam these lights also went to high beam and they do light up the night.

I do not use the switch that came with the kit but purchased a quality lighted rocker switch that is waterproof.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
I think what Dave aka Saddleman has the best option for you, motolights are really good and had them on my LT for years. I would also suggest the HID in the lowbeam like someone else had mentioned.

·
Registered
248 Posts
You need to look hard at the Moto Lights that Saddleman has for sale.
Good price and I have them on my 02 and they work great. Try them first without the LEDs, which I think you will find will fill your bill until these bulbs burn out and then replace them with LEDs. The folks at Moto Lights are a pleasure to deal with. Good luck.
Leon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts