BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering adding two aux power outlets to my 2002 K1200LT. One to power a radar detector and the other for a second GPS. Im also adding a wired X-mount for my cell phone. I'm not sure how many amps these devices draw, but I wouldn't think it would be much. I'm thinking of just tapping all three into the wires for the OEM outlet on the lower left side. Is that going to be too much for this circuit without adding other fuses somewhere in the circuit? I think that if that OEM outlet can handle heatd clothing it should be O. K. for these three devices. Am I thinking correctly?

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
If it were me, I'd add a fuse block to supply power to your devices. I used a Centech AP-2 version that supports switched and unswitched circuits for my PIAAs & Garmin 590LM, and could have added several other devices. It was mounted under the seat in back of the rear shock adjuster. I sold the bike last month to another forum member, and believe he intends to add several devices he's had mounted on his previous LT.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
left outlet is hot all the time, good for trickle charger no good if you want everything to turn off when you shut down the bike, the post above is the best way to do it.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,940 Posts
It shares a 15 amp fuse with the other plug (optional) on the brake side. But most add a separate fuse panel as you will end up adding more stuff, trust me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts