BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
messenger13 said:
As you know, I love my MotoLights. But...I am also installing a low-beam HID in a few weeks. So, I'll have both sets of MotoLights and an HID. No, I won't have Ron's beloved flashing headlight. But then again, I HATE those things day or night, and I would NEVER...and I'll repeat NEVER have one of those things on one of my bikes. The reason Ron, as well as others don't believe in the triangulation principle is because they don't understand it. And that's OK. I am ALL ABOUT triangulation. The wider you can make your bike appear to a cager's mind, the more likely a cager's mind (notice I used the word "mind" and not "eyes") will see you through their mind's eye and yield to you. One flashing light can still be ignored by a cager's mind. They annoy me because I see all bikes...as I am a rider. Cagers are idiots. Enough said.

Personally, I think if you're going to have just one set of MotoLights, you should've gone with the Raster Mount set. Even more triangulation, and better visibilty for you. Either way, I highly recommend you ordering an HID. I'll come down and help you with the install. Or...you can come here. We can talk more about it at the show this Saturday. :)

The only problem with my modulator is there is no way to put any chrome trim on it.

OR....... is there? ;)

BTW - they only work during daylight - photocell turns them off at dusk.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I'll still love Ron...even if he has that stooopeed leetle light that blinks at me. I'm kinda used to it anyway. If his light isn't blinking, he's winking at all the guys anyway! :D

As for your "chrome comment" . . . you dog! I almost said something about that but let it go. Now I'm ticked that I didn't say something first. I'll getcha next time! ;)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Those raster mount Motolights look like pretty good excesssive turn angle indicators. Do they put out a lot of nice pretty sparks too :D.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have the best of all worlds: Raster mount Motolights, HID Low Beam and a headlight modulator. See and be seen.

·
Registered
324 Posts
HIDs for night time, period.

I have also installed PIIA's for day time while my Dad has installed Moto Lights. My replacement bulb is $50 his is $5. Both do a good job of making the bike more visible in the daytime and both do very little at night.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
jwd98056 said:
Those raster mount Motolights look like pretty good excessive turn angle indicators. Do they put out a lot of nice pretty sparks too :D.
Lots of other hardware touches down before the MotoLights hit. In fact, the Raster Mounts don't even touch down when the LT is on it's side.

zaphod said:
I have the best of all worlds: Raster mount Motolights, HID Low Beam and a headlight modulator. See and be seen.
I guess that's a good start. What? No caliper mounts? Or Micro DEs under the cowl?! :D

RMW said:
HIDs for night time, period.

I have also installed PIIA's for day time while my Dad has installed Moto Lights. My replacement bulb is $50 his is $5. Both do a good job of making the bike more visible in the daytime and both do very little at night.
I respectively disagree with you on several counts.

First of all, your dad's replacement bulbs are FREE! All he has to do is call MotoLight. Full lifetime warranty on EVERYTHING...including lamps!

Seconds of all, my two sets of MotoLights do a LOT at night. I don't know what you're talking about. :confused: I know the OEM headlight is enemic...but when I turn my 4 MotoLights ON, the road is very well lit in front of me. I do know that the Raster-Mount pair throw off better light than the caliper-mount pair. I don't mean to discredit HIDs...they rock. I just ordered me a low-beam before posting this. But to say that MotoLights are just for the daytime is a bit of an over-statement...in my honest and humble opinion. :D

·
IBR# 366
16,649 Posts
The '99-'04 LTs use an H7 low beam, and an H3 high beam, both of which are available from CQLight.ca.

The '05-'06 LTs use an H7 low beam, and an H9 high beam in a separate reflector assembly. CQLight doesn't offer an H9 bulb, but several members have used the H11 bulb as a drop-in replacement.

European bikes are the same, except that the '04 LTs have the newer H7/H9 setup. In any case, stick with the lowest temperature bulbs you can get (4000K-5000K). Higher temp bulbs put out more color but less useable light.

More info can be found in our Lighting forum, located under Accessories, Gadgets, and Gear.

·
Registered
324 Posts
messenger13 said:
I respectively disagree with you on several counts.

First of all, your dad's replacement bulbs are FREE! All he has to do is call MotoLight. Full lifetime warranty on EVERYTHING...including lamps!

Seconds of all, my two sets of MotoLights do a LOT at night. I don't know what you're talking about. :confused: I know the OEM headlight is enemic...but when I turn my 4 MotoLights ON, the road is very well lit in front of me. I do know that the Raster-Mount pair throw off better light than the caliper-mount pair. I don't mean to discredit HIDs...they rock. I just ordered me a low-beam before posting this. But to say that MotoLights are just for the daytime is a bit of an over-statement...in my honest and humble opinion. :D

Joe,

Thanks for the tip on the bulbs I will pass it on to him.

I expect 4 would do a bit better but write back after you get the HID's on. I didn't actually say they were only for daytime just that they don't do much (should have said if you have HID). Even with 4 Moto-Lights I think you will see why I don't believe they do much once you get your HIDs on.

I will most likely have the caliper Moto-Lights in amber installed at CCR. First rate lights and free bulb's to boot!

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
messenger13 said:
I'll still love Ron...even if he has that stooopeed leetle light that blinks at me. I'm kinda used to it anyway. If his light isn't blinking, he's winking at all the guys anyway! :D

As for your "chrome comment" . . . you dog! I almost said something about that but let it go. Now I'm ticked that I didn't say something first. I'll getcha next time! ;)
You are such a SAVAGE!

You won't believe what I found today - CHROME metallic plastic pin stripes....

It COULD happen....

NAH! ;)

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
HID question #99.44/100

You guys have convinced me that the HID is the way to go.
And I just read most of the post in the lighting forum but I still have a couple of questions.
I see that the bulbs are guaranteed for a year, that's very comforting but that guarantee won't help me a bit "when not if" the bulb fails out in the middle of BFE, I am assuming that a standard H7 will no longer work is this correct? So carrying a spare $50 bulb seems prudent, do you all do this? Is changing the bulb any different with the HID setup, could it be done on the side of the road?

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Hans, I ordered my HID low-beam yesterday...so I'll be installing it SOON. Anywho... I have always carried a spare H7 bulb with me. Upon installing my HID, I intended to have it so that (in case of an emergency) I could convert back to my H7 halogen in a few minutes. Several have already done this. It's not that much harder, just take a little planning. I'll be taking pics of my install, you can count on it. ;)

By the way, on my way out to Seattle, I lost my low-beam. I just turned the headlight adjuster all the way down and ran my high-beam. Doing that, coupled with my 4 MotoLights really worked well. Just another reason to stay away from an HID high-beam, IMO...AND, another reason to install additional lighting of some sort or another. A set of cheapo halogens could "get ya home" in a pinch. Food for thought...

·
Registered
324 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
You guys have convinced me that the HID is the way to go.
And I just read most of the post in the lighting forum but I still have a couple of questions.
I see that the bulbs are guaranteed for a year, that's very comforting but that guarantee won't help me a bit "when not if" the bulb fails out in the middle of BFE, I am assuming that a standard H7 will no longer work is this correct? So carrying a spare $50 bulb seems prudent, do you all do this? Is changing the bulb any different with the HID setup, could it be done on the side of the road?
Hans,

I have both high and low HID on my 05. IMHO its the only way to go. The high beam HID on a dark and lonely night is simply amazing and like many such things it is something you will not know how you did without once you have it. Both can be converted back to the stock bulb alongside the road and I carry both with me just in case. The HID is designed for a much longer life and is less likely to burn out than stock bulbs. Having said that:

Before HID I installed a set of PIAAs under the cowl. I was not satisfied with the night time lighting and installed both HIDs. One night at the end of a 3000+ mile trip with about 500 miles to go my low beam shorted out. (short was a dumb wiring mistake on my part and the stock bulb would not work when installed) I was too tired and it was too dark to screw around with electrical trouble shooting so I simply adjusted my PIAAs to work as a low beam and made it home without any problem.

If you do a lot of night riding you will not regret getting both HIDs. Carry the stock spare bulbs but you will likely not need them. (unless you don't carry them) and as Joe suggests, definitely a set of aux lights for that very important redundant system, plus the daytime advantages. Anyway, my 2 cents worth.

·
IBR# 366
16,649 Posts
I also carry the original H7 bulb as a backup. The only time I've had an HID problem was due to a relay connector issue. So if you wire the HID correctly, you could swap back to the original bulb at the side of the road.

Having said that, so far my HID has lasted for 5 years, two LTs, and almost 100K miles.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
meese said:
Having said that, so far my HID has lasted for 5 years, two LTs, and almost 100K miles.
good info, just what I needed

Judging from this quote you're trading em in before they even get broke in :D

·
IBR# 366
16,649 Posts
Well, the '99 was a UK-spec bike, and wasn't worth shipping back to the US. I was trying to sell it, but no one in the UK would touch a bike with 36K on it. So instead I managed to hit some ice and run it into a ditch. The insurance paid full value for it, so it all ended up OK. I don't recommend this method though, as cracked ribs aren't fun. :(

My '02 is pushing 70K, and I fully expect to see 100K before it gets traded up for a newer LT.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.