BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally bit the bullet and ordered a pair of Motolights for my '05 LT. They will be caliper-mounted. I have these goals in adding extra lights to the LT:

1. I want to be seen by others. I've read about the "triangle of light" theory; makes sense. Is the caliper mount the best place to achieve the "triangle"?

2. I want to see much better down the road. I want the road ahead lit up like I was on a freight train. I've read the threads about HID replacement but can't find someone to do the job for me (local BMW dealer has never done one and I don't want to be their test case). How much "down the road" light will Motolights give me, especially mounted low, by the wheels?

The dealer also suggested a replacement bulb for my stock BMW headlamp; about $30. Does this make sense, or should I proceed with a HID? (guess I already know the answer, as everyone who installs one is greatly impressed with them)

3. What about PIAA lights under the nose, or the tipover wings, or elsewhere? Do they provide more or less usable "driving light" than Motolights? What about installing them in addition to the Motolights? (ignoring the fact that more than 3 lights is illegal in some states -- I'm talking about lots of driving on country roads, and I would have an on/off switch installed for both pairs of lights)

I've seen several pictures over the past few months of various lighting installations; anything you want to send along is appreciated, but I'd especially like to learn about your experiences with my questions, above.

Thanks.

·
Registered
354 Posts
hschisler said:
I finally bit the bullet and ordered a pair of Motolights for my '05 LT. They will be caliper-mounted. I have these goals in adding extra lights to the LT:

1. I want to be seen by others. I've read about the "triangle of light" theory; makes sense. Is the caliper mount the best place to achieve the "triangle"?

2. I want to see much better down the road. I want the road ahead lit up like I was on a freight train. I've read the threads about HID replacement but can't find someone to do the job for me (local BMW dealer has never done one and I don't want to be their test case). How much "down the road" light will Motolights give me, especially mounted low, by the wheels?

The dealer also suggested a replacement bulb for my stock BMW headlamp; about $30. Does this make sense, or should I proceed with a HID? (guess I already know the answer, as everyone who installs one is greatly impressed with them)

3. What about PIAA lights under the nose, or the tipover wings, or elsewhere? Do they provide more or less usable "driving light" than Motolights? What about installing them in addition to the Motolights? (ignoring the fact that more than 3 lights is illegal in some states -- I'm talking about lots of driving on country roads, and I would have an on/off switch installed for both pairs of lights)

I've seen several pictures over the past few months of various lighting installations; anything you want to send along is appreciated, but I'd especially like to learn about your experiences with my questions, above.

Thanks.
First of all, an aftermarket replacement bulb in your existing headlight will not cut it. You want HID, period. Now, to be more visible and help with the lighting on corners and close up go for the triangle look with the lights mounted just under the tip-over wings. I have had more comments from cage drivers that my bike stands out due to the triangle look. See my pic attached.

Attachments

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
No matter what else you decide, just get an HID. For less than you paid for the Motolights, you could have gotten both low and high HID. And at $130 delivered for a low beam kit, why even bother with trying other, more expensive options?

Additional lights are more for triangulation and being seen than anything else, unless you start going for the high dollar stuff, which are usually only good as high beam supplements. You may get some close-in help if they're adjusted correctly, but they won't give you long-range illumination like the HID will. Plus you can leave the HID low beam on all the time, even with oncoming traffic.

Installation isn't too difficult, especially with the excellent instructions available here. And surely there must be someone in the Ohio area that could help you out. :)

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Great!

Yeah.. Motolights on the calipers.. Then the PIAA's under the nose will give you a great profile!...

Now, In case you aren't familiar with it.. don't forget to connect them using fused circuit and relay's. The PIAA's kit I have includes mounts for under the nosecone, fused relay and water resistant switch. I don't know what your Motolights come with.

I get power for the "control" circuit from the seat heating circuit because it pulls such low current. Also, when you crank the motor, that circuit automatically shuts off to reduce current draw and subsequently will de-energize the relay, turning off the lights...now isn't that cool? Grif taught me that!

Pull your power directly from the battery + (red) side... go to the fuse then feed the relay "load" side from it. If you have 2 sets of lights, use a seperate fuse feed for each relay.

Some folks install a "bus" so they can easily plug in more circuits to the + side of the battery.

So, anyway, best of luck.. take pics "before-n-after" so you can see the improvement! Then post them here!

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
" I want to be seen by others"

IMHO, the triangulation solution is pure ****shit when compared with installing a Hyperlight (flashing) on your high beam. "Triangulation" is just another urban myth right up there with disc brakes warping and cell phones causing gas station fires. There is absolutely NO science behind it, period.

Use the Hyperlight on your high beam ALL THE TIME. You'll stop "left turners" dead in in their tracks with it -and isn't that what it is all about?

And please, I am NOT interested in entering another boring and long winded discussion with ANYONE who is pissed off by my extremely irritating, road rage inducing, way over the top, I really need to learn how to drive better (whew!)... ;) point of view regarding what I consider to be the MOST significant safety device for bikers since ABS. It is legal and it works.

If you want to ride at night get HID. No comparison. Won't do you any good during the day. Does look pretty cool though.

Nuff' said. :)

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
Try CQLight. You want the H7 for the LT's low beam, and get as low a K temp as you can (5000K in this case).

Also, search this site for CQLight, and you'll get lots of info, reviews, installation hints, etc. The reviews have been so positive that I just ordered a set for my wife's car, as well as for a friend overseas.

I was thrilled with my original $500 HID kit many years ago, but at this price they should be the first mod on every LT out there.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Lites

I've an 05 LT and have the low beam HID (wish I'd gotten the hi-beam too); just installed the MotoLights onto the calipers and they look great! Had the PIAA's on my GT, but was frequently getting flashed by cagers.

Buddy of mine just installed MotoLights and hi/low beam HID's; I was in front of him yesterday and you could surely tell he was on the road...

·
Registered
48 Posts
1. IMHO the triangle of light makes sense. I think the Motolights are great for being more visual and obvious to cages coming towards you. I had them put on in Shelbyville, TN at the BMWRA rally by the Motolights people. Rode there with another LT who typically takes the lead. He could not believe how much of a difference it made looking back at me. We rode most of the way back to Since in fog and rain.

2. But, Motolights will not give you the light you are looking for for night driving and for that matter HID will not give you the daytime visual boost that Motolights give you during the daytime.

3. That said I think the ideal setup if Motolights and an HID installation.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lovetomotor said:
... to be more visible and help with the lighting on corners and close up go for the triangle look with the lights mounted just under the tip-over wings.
Does mounting lights under the tipover wings negate the installation of Jpegs, or can those two things co-exist?

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RonKMiller said:
Use the Hyperlight on your high beam ALL THE TIME. You'll stop "left turners" dead in in their tracks with it -and isn't that what it is all about?
Ron, is "Hyperlight" a flashing device, like a headlight modulator?

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
As you know, I love my MotoLights. But...I am also installing a low-beam HID in a few weeks. So, I'll have both sets of MotoLights and an HID. No, I won't have Ron's beloved flashing headlight. But then again, I HATE those things day or night, and I would NEVER...and I'll repeat NEVER have one of those things on one of my bikes. The reason Ron, as well as others don't believe in the triangulation principle is because they don't understand it. And that's OK. I am ALL ABOUT triangulation. The wider you can make your bike appear to a cager's mind, the more likely a cager's mind (notice I used the word "mind" and not "eyes") will see you through their mind's eye and yield to you. One flashing light can still be ignored by a cager's mind. They annoy me because I see all bikes...as I am a rider. Cagers are idiots. Enough said.

Personally, I think if you're going to have just one set of MotoLights, you should've gone with the Raster Mount set. Even more triangulation, and better visibilty for you. Either way, I highly recommend you ordering an HID. I'll come down and help you with the install. Or...you can come here. We can talk more about it at the show this Saturday. :)

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
hschisler said:
Does mounting lights under the tipover wings negate the installation of Jpegs, or can those two things co-exist?
Yes, they co-exist wonderfully. The Raster-Mount MotoLights mount in front of the J-Pegs.

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
I think it all helps.

The triangulation theory does work. I know this because it gets my attention, and it just stands out as different, which is a good thing.

Headlight modulators also work, for much the same reasons. They're just different. Some people swear by them, some hate them. You gotta weigh the increased safety versus possible annoyance and make up your own mind for your own bike.

I also notice a difference with just a low beam HID, even in the daytime here in SoCal. Even when splitting lanes, cars see me more often than they used to. And anything that gets these brain-dead cagers to look is worth it.

So there are lots of options, depending on your budget and needs.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
When is enough . . . "enough"?!

Once I install the HID (just ordered) and the third set of halogens, I'll take a pic. Yep...a third set! I found halogen ovals that fit perfectly under the headlight of my '02. I'm going to aim them close and off to each side. So if you thought I looked like a 747 last year . . .think again. :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Naive Newbie Notice

meese said:
Try CQLight. You want the H7 for the LT's low beam, and get as low a K temp as you can (5000K in this case).

Also, search this site for CQLight.
Ken--thanks for the cq site!

And now, time for the Newbie comedy hour!

Naive Newbie Question #1a: I am going to order the low beam kit--does the 05 model use the H7 kit as well? 1b: I've heard a few folks say they shudda gotten the high beam kit, too--anyone happen to know the kit number for that? i didn't see it advertised on the cq site, but then again, i prolly wouldn't know it if i was looking directly at it.

Naive Newbie Question #2: whadahek are da jpegs? I tried a search but of course, all i got back were pics of beemers--lots n lots of beemers....

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Aux Light Switching..

Just a note: Slaving your aux light control circuit to a circuit that shuts down every time you start your engine will decrease the life of your bulbs.

i.e.....

key to on = lights on,
key to start = lights off,
engine start = lights back on..

this is one additional on/off cycle every time you start your bikes engine !

It doesn't take that much effort to hit the light switch button to turn on your lights after you start your engine; and if you have connected your switch to an 'ignition sense source', then you don't have to worry about leaving your lights on, or someone else turning them on when you are away from the bike...

Just some food for thought....

·
Registered
99 Posts
messenger13 said:
Yes, they co-exist wonderfully. The Raster-Mount MotoLights mount in front of the J-Pegs.

Doh--why, i think i now know what jpegs are....
I want some!!!! :yeah:

Thankeeeeee, JOE!!!!

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
NevadaNez said:
Naive Newbie question #1: I am going to order the H7 for the Naive, but i've heard a few folks say they shudda gotten the high beam kit, too--anyone happen to know the kit number for that? i didn't see it advertised on the cq site, but then again, i prolly wouldn't know it if i was looking directly at it.
Someone will answer that shortly...or I can look it up later. But IIRC, it's not listed as an H7 on their site.

Personally, I recommend just getting the low-beam first and see if you really need the high-beam HID. Then again, I already have 2 sets of MotoLights on my LT, and a 3rd set getting installed when I install my low-beam HID.

NevadaNez said:
Naive Newbie Question #2: whadahek are da jpegs?
J-Pegs are highway pegs for the LT. There are 4 or 5 choices of highway pegs, and the J-Pegs are probably the most popular. J-Pegs come in two varieties...regulars and XLs. Pricey but well made.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
A switched relay!

EzyMount said:
Just a note: Slaving your aux light control circuit to a circuit that shuts down every time you start your engine will decrease the life of your bulbs.

i.e.....

key to on = lights on,
key to start = lights off,
engine start = lights back on..

this is one additional on/off cycle every time you start your bikes engine !

It doesn't take that much effort to hit the light switch button to turn on your lights after you start your engine; and if you have connected your switch to an 'ignition sense source', then you don't have to worry about leaving your lights on, or someone else turning them on when you are away from the bike...

Just some food for thought....
An EXCELLENT suggestion at that!!! I am definitely utilizing a relay on my HID low-beam installation . . . and I intend on inserting a switch to the hot-lead of my relay. This is so inexpensive and easy, why wouldn't anyone do this. Oh yea...laziness. I almost forgot.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts